• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Food for thought. Another collaboration?

This post sure shows us how much sleds evolved in the past 20 years, i never new the xcr 800 could beat an srx a buddy had 2002 hot to go xcr and it would run right behind my apex as for the xlt they weren't very fast stock i think mine was 85hp but with a few mods aaen pipes heads porting it was right around 112 hp but clutched right it was a beast for a 600 ,Doug Flanery had a xlt down sleeved to a 500 and would clean up drag racing the 500-700 class all day long hammering the doo's and cats what a blast from the past

My XCR is a 1999 700, I believe that’s the only year they made the 700 and yes that 700 will run with an SRX 700 no problem. Both sleds properly tuned and clutched it’s gonna be a toss up. The 800 XCR will wax an SRX. Your buddy had tuning issues because any HTG cylindered XCR would absolutely waste an Apex, they were good for 185hp on pump gas and +200hp with a race setup.

My XCR is a 1999 700, I believe that’s the only year they made the 700 and yes that 700 will run with an SRX 700 no problem. Both sleds properly tuned and clutched it’s gonna be a toss up. The 800 XCR will wax an SRX. Your buddy had tuning issues because any HTG cylindered XCR would absolutely waste an Apex, they were good for 185hp on pump gas and +200hp with a race setup.
That Rob Shooping was/is the man with those poos .When i was racing the v max 4s on the grass against his stk poos ,the yamaha would win .

That Rob Shooping was/is the man with those poos .When i was racing the v max 4s on the grass against his stk poos ,the yamaha would win .
Well your talking the king!!
Vmax 4’s were the #*$&@!
SRX 700 in the stock or mod class the XCR 700 would be a wash depending on the racer.

Triple 800, triple pipes, big can, electric start, long travel suspension raised chassis tall seat. Yet somehow it still has to be light. If ya look at Cat their 800 twin is not a lightweight. How light do you think they can make a 800 triple? Yamaha stuffing a triple triple into a Cat chassis is going to make for a heavy sled. Coolest sounding sled but heavy. I loved my 800 triple Cat I chased the sound through the trees as it sang its sweet tune. Those pipes where intoxicating. I moved on to four strokes and get the same effect from the four hole Apex now but the triple two stroke will always have a spot in my heart. Sadly though I have no wish to buy a new one.

NO WAY!!!!i used to own both sleds and still have my SRX700,not even close in a race SRX will win every time...as far as the xcr800 its almost dead even!!

NO WAY!!!!i used to own both sleds and still have my SRX700,not even close in a race SRX will win every time...as far as the xcr800 its almost dead even!!

That’s because the XCR’s were jetted for -40 below zero Fahrenheit from the factory. I took out 4 jet sizes to get the correct jetting for 20 degrees fahrenheit. You probably never re-jetted causing the sled to be an absolute pig without doing so.

As for the XCR 800, also jetted rich, it will destroy an SRX 700 with a jet change.
The SRX’s were not as sensitive to jetting because of the smaller 33mm carbs. The XCR’s had 38mm carbs that required re-jetting more often due to temperature changes.

In actuality the XCR 700 puts out more horsepower than a SRX 700, but it’s also a bit heavier. In reality both in proper tune and clutching the XCR 700 would pull the SRX in a lake race. I’ve seen it first hand, it’s just not something you want to advertise on a Yamaha site.

Oh and yes I’ve seen the old SRX pull a Thundercat 1000 across the lake.....but the Tcat was clutched by an idiot, and so rich the guy told me he was changing plugs once a day.

Interesting the srx was faster than my apex when stock ,once clutches were machined for overdrive and polaris weights installed the apex was always in front.The hot to go xcr 800 was faster than the stock srx and ran with the apex on top end but the apex would kill it off the line and mid range and usually 2 sled lengths in front on top

Last edited:
Interesting the srx was faster than my apex when stock ,once clutches were machined for overdrive and polaris weights installed the apex was always in front.The hot to go xcr 800 was faster than the stock srx and ran with the apex on top end but the apex would kill it off the line and mid range and usually 2 sled lengths in front on top

That’s an absolutely crazy statement about the HTG 800 getting killed off the line by a stock apex..... they were a bonifide 185hp on pump gas. If you have ever seen one that’s properly tuned and set up it’s not even a race.

Also your “out of the hole” statement is foolish. It all depends on traction and clutching. Seen 440’s smoke 800’s out the gate, it’s all about hook’in off the line and clutching.

My XCR 700 will beat a stock apex across the lake, I’ve done it ......with stock gearing.
It also beat my SRX before the big bore kit.

My XCR 700 will beat a stock apex across the lake, I’ve done it ......with stock gearing.
It also beat my SRX before the big bore kit.

Instead of puffing you chest and making all kinds of SMARTASS comments directed at the other user, why not go line them up!! I can easily say how fast everything I have sitting behind a key board too. Take it to the track or at least don’t call people names in the process.

Last edited:
That’s an absolutely crazy statement about the HTG 800 getting killed off the line by a stock apex..... they were a bonifide 185hp on pump gas. If you have ever seen one that’s properly tuned and set up it’s not even a race.

Also your “out of the hole” statement is foolish. It all depends on traction and clutching. Seen 440’s smoke 800’s out the gate, it’s all about hook’in off the line and clutching.
Just stating the facts the tripple tripples could never touch a well set up apex unless its an all out drag sled the hot to go xcr was an amimal we raced on hard packed trail from start then at 30 mile roll i probably had the advantage since im not studded with the 1.352 cobra speed track pulling 118mph consistently gps with the xcr 2 lengths behind me every time

Instead of puffing you chest and making all kinds of SMARTASS comments directed at the other user, why not go line them up!! I can easily say how fast everything I have sitting behind a key board too. Take it to the track or at least don’t call people names in the process.
Theres 1990 650 indy's that will roast my apex in 1/4 mile race over and over all day long

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of puffing you chest and making all kinds of asshole comments directed at the other user, why not go line them up!! I can easily say how fast everything I have sitting behind a key board too. Take it to the track or at least don’t call people names in the process.

Did no name calling whatsoever MrSled

Back