• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front axle bearing damage

I was wondering why the checking of the shaft during bearing maintenance was mentioned on another post.

I think it was mentioned by Cannondale on a bearing maintenance post if I remember correctly.

Now I know why it was mentioned. It’s a usual problem on the Vipers and now the Sidewinders.

More good info to know. Cheap bearings maybe, but shaft metal must also be made of soft metal. Why not just correct it after how many years? I am sure there are numerous ways to accomplish that.

Is it possible to remove this bearing without removing the driveshaft? Then maybe some green locktite sleeve retainer to prevent this?

Is it possible to remove this bearing without removing the driveshaft? Then maybe some green locktite sleeve retainer to prevent this?
Yes. It's not a bad job. The worst part is removing the brake rotor. The splines can be tuff to get freed up.

Y
yes Many way to do it!
Personaly i have made a special puller for it. I will post a picture later.

That’s good to know. Anyone know the bearing number? I may also replace it with a higher quality bearing while in there.

i Hate to say this guys but seasonal cleaning and maintenance would not have saved this axle. this a 17 machine.

the garbage china bearing to me is most of the issue . i have a FAG germany bearing to put in. it actaully has a a tighter inner race then the origianal and is a way better quality bearing.

here kitty kitty kitty. lets not forget this is not the blue side of the sidewinder

Do you have the specs for that bearing, FAG?
When the dealer replaces under warranty does he put the same one or its an upgraded version? Do any vendors have a top notch replacement, shaft and bearing?
Thx

Do you have the specs for that bearing, FAG?
When the dealer replaces under warranty does he put the same one or its an upgraded version? Do any vendors have a top notch replacement, shaft and bearing?
Thx
the dealer will just put the same china bearing. if you have an industrial bearing supplier you can get an skf just get a good 6009 2 rubber seal bearing .

On the sleds I work on, I see that the ones that run their track more loose tend to have axle wear problems. I think it's the heavy grease in the bearing or not having the bearing cleaned enough. That bearing is a pain and gets a lot of corrosion inside.

this makes sense...so essentially tight track side loads the shaft against the bearing sleeve?

If you locktite that bearing to the shaft, it will be a real pain to take apart for a track change or bearing replacement.

Maybe if we can find a bearing with the inner race that extends past the seal. Like the bearings in the Japan built sleds( older Cats also for that matter) We then can drill and tap a set screw in to hold the inner race to the shaft.

Normally a little heat will free things up so you can remove the bearing. But the setscrew idea would be a better option if it’s possible.

Maybe if we can find a bearing with the inner race that extends past the seal. Like the bearings in the Japan built sleds( older Cats also for that matter) We then can drill and tap a set screw in to hold the inner race to the shaft.

Not sure this would work....but I like it!

Looking at the photos doesn’t look like there would be any room for the locking collar.

Back