• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front axle bearing damage

Could we just remove the snap ring & replace the whole "kit & caboodle" with a locking collar like on my Apex? Of course we'd have to find the right bearing, but this shouldn't be too hard.

Could we just remove the snap ring & replace the whole "kit & caboodle" with a locking collar like on my Apex? Of course we'd have to find the right bearing, but this shouldn't be too hard.
I don't understand why they use a snap ring on the rotor side anyway. I would have liked to see a bolt and large washer on the outside holding the rotor in place. I'm thinking the reason they use the snap rings is so the rotor will have a little float in it. I think this whole brake side rotor area needs a design change. Until then I will continue to clean and repack that bearing every year and when and if the shaft or snap ring groove wears out I will just replace it with a new one. I usually don't keep my sleds long enough to wear stuff like that out but you never know.

I have a question on this. Did you drill a hole all the way through or just enough for that set screw? Then you just adjusted it for friction?
the hole is all the way through. tighten the screw from the inside of the shaft. I have looked for a bearing of this size with a coller and cant find one

What a talented group of people on this site. I'm going to check mine this weekend. I think if it is rusted on the shaft I might just grease it with my needle tip and leave it in place. I'm sure by next season you guys will have a patented solution to this problem. Hopefully won't see the extreme issues some people have in this area.

What a talented group of people on this site. I'm going to check mine this weekend. I think if it is rusted on the shaft I might just grease it with my needle tip and leave it in place. I'm sure by next season you guys will have a patented solution to this problem. Hopefully won't see the extreme issues some people have in this area.
If there is any marks going around shaft under that bearing you have the problem already. Lot of great options here.

the hole is all the way through. tighten the screw from the inside of the shaft. I have looked for a bearing of this size with a coller and cant find one

I would never have thought there was enough room on the inside of that shaft to get the wrench in there.
Great job.
Ms

I had another thought on this problem. Why not tap the hub of the rotor and screw the clip to it? You could use this hole
GetFileAttachment
That way the clip could not rattle or rotate

I had another thought on this problem. Why not tap the hub of the rotor and screw the clip to it? You could use this hole
GetFileAttachment
That way the clip could not rattle or rotate
I think the rotor floats a bit and this might keep it from doing this.

Would that be a problem?

Well this is what happens when collar is not locked on to shaft. I was almost all done with my Apex & i noticed this. Bearing is good, but the locking screws were loose.
BTW: Don't trust the dried Loctite on the threads

It goes to show how we need to lock this bearing down.

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 108
I wonder is it only the new style snapring that is bagging shaft? Older style doesn't have the little holes for snapring pliers and is a real bugger to get off. I have the old style and still original clip with 10 thou on odometer. Been on and of many times.

Back