• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gap ram air

If it was $50 then you would have my attention. I was looking at a spare steering rod rubber boot from my apex the other day and thought..mmmm looks like it would fit the screen, slide some rectangle pvc and voila ram air for $3. LOL.

Marc and I obviously have the same disease.
I installed this Gap intake when they first became available last winter. LOL...I can't resist these things.
I also have a full screen kit on my sled that I installed before I ever even rode the sled.
It takes a little bit of attention to ensure it fits properly but once installed it looks like a factory piece.
Does it make any difference? Who knows but probably not. I do know the sled runs very strong in all conditions.
If there is any advantage it should be enhanced by the closed loop software I installed for this season.

View attachment 157623

View attachment 157624

Hahaa yes we do Bob:D
My sled is my hobbie/passion!! No different then a golfer buying a nice pair of golfing shoes..lol

Yes of course but IDK if Yamamarc has data logging? I've had buddies who think data logging is taping a thermometer under their hood.

Is he doesn't have it , it should be on his list. I'd be shocked off he doesn't

What would have been beneficial is if GAP would have provided airflow efficiency results over the stock panzerotti versus CAI direct versus GAP ram panzerotti.... I am not being pessemistic ,but I need results driven by data !!! ;-)

LOL Marc.... hang on to that receipt .....
Cheers
When there is no data wonder why. I have the disease and like to buy all the shiny stuff but in all likelihood the stock air box works just fine until you get into the race gas boost levels. Likely very little gains with the aftermarket intakes at 17lbs boost.

So are you guys blocking off the stock intake on the airbox then?

I'd imagine if you didn't it would work no better than stock for ramming air into the box. There is after all a low pressure area behind the windshield, and if you don't block that factory intake off, any pressure built up in the airbox would just backflow out that stock intake.

Ramming in the front sure can't hurt if it really builds any pressure, but the thing is the ECU is supposed to limit the boost anyway, so is there really any gain other than getting pure cold outside air? Too many questions to be answered. Cheap way is to stick the filter out the hood and let it ram its way in there which the Pro-Mods doo.

So are you guys blocking off the stock intake on the airbox then?

I'd imagine if you didn't it would work no better than stock for ramming air into the box. There is after all a low pressure area behind the windshield, and if you don't block that factory intake off, any pressure built up in the airbox would just backflow out that stock intake.

Ramming in the front sure can't hurt if it really builds any pressure, but the thing is the ECU is supposed to limit the boost anyway, so is there really any gain other than getting pure cold outside air? Too many questions to be answered. Cheap way is to stick the filter out the hood and let it ram its way in there which the Pro-Mods doo.

I agree ...there is no way it can build pressure in the airbox without blocking the stock air intake at the top of the air box. I did not block off the air box and have utilized it primarily to ensure the airbox receives an ample supply of outside cool air.

I agree too.. For me it's just cold air intake just better then hot air intake under the hood!

Has anybody tried the k&n ac-1009 air filter yet?
It goes in the stock airbox.
Any performance benefits compared to running under hood cold air intake?

Has anybody tried the k&n ac-1009 air filter yet?
It goes in the stock airbox.
Any performance benefits compared to running under hood cold air intake?

I highly doubt you would gain a thing. I've ran without the filter in place at all and gained nothing, also ran without the filter and cover in place and gained nothing just to test it.

Putting the WAI, ( I can't in good conscience call it a CAI as it really draws warm air ) in place however gained RPM and lowered A/F numbers even though it's still sucking warm underwood air. The best I have found is sticking the air filter out into the scoop on the hood and letting air ram into the filter. This using Hurricanes K&N air filter that has an air horn built into it. However it runs lean A/F numbers so you'll need to have the closed loop to adjust for the leaner mixture.

I believe the reason the Hurricane underhood filter runs more RPM and runs leaner is because the air horn built into the K&N is much better and flows more than the puny stock rinky dink air horn on the stock box intake. I've been tempted to see if I couldn't come up with a better air horn in the stock box to see if it can pick up the same amount of air flow using the stock box which draws actual cold air and remaining stock appearing.

Did you see any difference in intake air temps with the under hood intake versus running thru stock air box?
I am running the Hurricane wai as well and this year upgraded to the super spool header performance exhaust tunes with wide band 02 module.

Back