• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Giving up on 4 wheel Rear Axle

Yamadog

Lifetime Member
I've had it with the 4 wheel axle kits! I broke the left side wheel off for the 3rd time in 3 years. 2 were turbo dynamics and this one is J T Racing Products. I keep shearing the bolt off in the axle.

This weekend was the weenie roast and it happened trail riding Friday Morning and caused me to scratch that sled for 2 days of racing. I have another 4 wheel kit and 2 try hubs but did not have them with me and we could not get the broken bolt out of the axle.

Cat changed rear axle next year. May be better?

They are all held together by the bolt through the rail and a hard impact on the outer wheel just snaps the bolt.

Curious why you keep breaking them? What is root cause? Just asking because I've got over 3,000 miles on my JT kit and have never broke one. Is it a HP issue or riding style issue? I just ride trails all the time.

I’ve been debating a 4th wheel kit or the JT 2-wheel kit. I landed a a jump tail heavy and off center this weekend and snapped a fiberglass rod in my track, probably hard enough it would have broken off a 4th wheel kit too. On the other hand the relatively cheap 4th wheel kit might have absorbed the impact enough to spare the track damage. I’m just glad it broke outside the window and not the center. I hope the new 3 or 4 wheel axle on the 19’s will retrofit.

Maybe consider OFT 3 wheel axle (all between the rails). I use wheels from Avid with a 3 wheel axle from OFT. Replaceable bearings and piece of mind that there are more than two of them back there.

They are all held together by the bolt through the rail and a hard impact on the outer wheel just snaps the bolt.

The Larson one uses a mortise and tennon joint on the outside wheels. The outer cup that holds the wheel fits over the axle that fits through the rail. All parts are billet aluminum. The bolt just holds everything inline and it was a grade 8 with my kit. They use them for the snow cross races and apparently none have ever broken.

The Larson one uses a mortise and tennon joint on the outside wheels. The outer cup that holds the wheel fits over the axle that fits through the rail. All parts are billet aluminum. The bolt just holds everything inline and it was a grade 8 with my kit. They use them for the snow cross races and apparently none have ever broken.
What he said

Back