• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hot starting or not starting

I dunno, maybe its the 2-smoke side of me kicking in, but Im curious to know how the spark plugs are looking for those with this issue. Mine is starting to get a bit sluggish on starts with 280 on the clock. Kinda wondering if they arent overly rich on start, causing the plugs to get gummy?

Im just saying when the Apex or Phazer would start to turn over a bit more before firing, a fresh set of plug would fix the issue. I dunno, something to chew on.

Probably way off base but could the problem sleds have an injector leaking down slightly after shut off? I have seen something very much like this on the Honda Fury motorcycle. Same symptoms anyways.

stingray719 said:
Probably way off base but could the problem sleds have an injector leaking down slightly after shut off? I have seen something very much like this on the Honda Fury motorcycle. Same symptoms anyways.

In more detail, the issue with the 2010 Honda Fury motorcycle was fuel pump although it cetainly did not seem so by symptoms. Some of the pumps (mine) would not work only when very hot almost like vapor lock. Not alot of fun to be on a brand new Honda with under 1k miles dead beside the freeway..

Others had pumps put out too much pressure and cause fuel injector leakage after shutting the bike off. Honda never admitted a problem but replaced many fuel pumps. Like I said this may have nothing to do with the Viper but the symptoms seem very similar.

AS posted earlier mine only does not start occasionaly.
Not sure if TPS is ruled out but my readings are a bit different. 80%- 3.9V and o%-0.7V.
Battery 12.5 VDC using digital meter, same as guage.

Just had the hot start issue up in Canada - I was sweeping, so my three buddies were long gone, leaving me stranded. It did start after roughly 10 minutes, and 7 - 8 trys. Here is what my dealer told me:

He asked a lot about how I started it - key to on position, then cranked, or directly to crank? I told him I alwayd pause, but can't be certain, as I don't recall. Then he asked if after it failed to start, did I turn key all the way off, or left it in "on" position. Again, I don't recall.

Bottom line, he says, is to wait 4-5 seconds in "on" position, then crank. If it does not start, go back to "on" position (not off), and let the computer finish loading it's settings (another 4-5 seconds) then crank.

He suggested that going back to off each time was confusing/resetting the computer. Claims he has made this recommendation to a few owners, who had good results.

Passing on what I heard. I did 600 miles in Canada on this past trip, and had the issue only once. Was riding with a 2008 Nytro, a 2012 and a 2011 Cat. The other 3 sleds had to have scratchers down the entire ride, my Viper ran hot, but the warning light never came on once, so I never deployed the scratchers.

MikeAllard said:
Just had the hot start issue up in Canada - I was sweeping, so my three buddies were long gone, leaving me stranded. It did start after roughly 10 minutes, and 7 - 8 trys. Here is what my dealer told me:

He asked a lot about how I started it - key to on position, then cranked, or directly to crank? I told him I alwayd pause, but can't be certain, as I don't recall. Then he asked if after it failed to start, did I turn key all the way off, or left it in "on" position. Again, I don't recall.

Bottom line, he says, is to wait 4-5 seconds in "on" position, then crank. If it does not start, go back to "on" position (not off), and let the computer finish loading it's settings (another 4-5 seconds) then crank.

He suggested that going back to off each time was confusing/resetting the computer. Claims he has made this recommendation to a few owners, who had good results.

Passing on what I heard. I did 600 miles in Canada on this past trip, and had the issue only once. Was riding with a 2008 Nytro, a 2012 and a 2011 Cat. The other 3 sleds had to have scratchers down the entire ride, my Viper ran hot, but the warning light never came on once, so I never deployed the scratchers.
Next time crack the throttle 1/4" open and crank just make sure there is nothing infront of you.

When I start my sled I let the fuel pump cycle then don't stop turning it over until I know its running. I have stopped turning it over prematurely a few times and I run into this problem.

My mechanic talked to a Yamaha tech and was told to not shut it off with the kill switch.
I have used the key only for the last 2 days and have had quick warm starts. Maybe a fluke, but it's working so far.

All I keep hearing on this topic is b.s. Excuses from Yammy and their techs... And I'm not trying to pee anybody off here at all by saying that... Its just sickening hearing all these different excuses that really have nothing to do with the problem... How would shutting it off with the killswitch or keyswitch matter to the ecu?? That's what I'm not getting I guess

skidooslayer687 said:
All I keep hearing on this topic is b.s. Excuses from Yammy and their techs... And I'm not trying to pee anybody off here at all by saying that... Its just sickening hearing all these different excuses that really have nothing to do with the problem... How would shutting it off with the killswitch or keyswitch matter to the ecu?? That's what I'm not getting I guess

I agree with him ...

Lol and I don't even have this issue with mine, its just frustrating as hell listening to b.s. Excuses

Does anyone know why we are only seeing 80% at WOT and 3.8v. I rode this past weekend on hard packed snow on a railroad grade, and best I saw was 90mph with those readings. Shouldn't it be 100% and about 4.8v at WOT?

skidooslayer687 said:
That's what Yamaha does , why fix it when they can give some BS ! :dunno: :beer: :dunno:

Back