• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Keep an eye on your chain tensioner idler bolt!

When they come loose is it even possible for them to actually fall out? Do they hit the case first?

I just did a track swap on my 2014 Viper with 7900 miles, moved the chain tensioner and the inner one fell out. It look like it was being held in sandwiched from the case cover. The inner screw was rubbing on the inner case half for quite a while.

I just did a track swap on my 2014 Viper with 7900 miles, moved the chain tensioner and the inner one fell out. It look like it was being held in sandwiched from the case cover. The inner screw was rubbing on the inner case half for quite a while.
Notice if it had any Loctite? I am glad I wasnt over there. Bet you had a few choice words!

Important question. Has anyone who removed those bolts for roller while still tight from factory seen Loctite on them?
I will do mine this weekend but its important to know since anything other than just using a very light touch will disturb the Loctite. I will completely remove them clean well and use Devils Blood 272 Loctite with primer then I will scratch a line and paint mark.
why not put a small weld on one end,so never happens again.

X2 My inner one was just like yours all the way out and sandwiched against the case

Last edited:
I changed the chaincase oil on my '18 viper last weekend and checked both of these bolts, both were tight.... I didn't pull them out and put locktite on them... Now I wish I would have. :-(.

Important question. Has anyone who removed those bolts for roller while still tight from factory seen Loctite on them?
I will do mine this weekend but its important to know since anything other than just using a very light touch will disturb the Loctite. I will completely remove them clean well and use Devils Blood 272 Loctite with primer then I will scratch a line and paint mark.
Had mine out inspected they had no loctite from factory.

So it "should be" fine for most if it is loose as the cover will hold it all in place. Obviously not ideal but should be able to make it through till one opens up the case next season. As mentioned above, that many probably are riding around like that and have no clue.

Ok I dont know what to say. The bolts are tapered heads and they bottom out on the shaft before they tighten the shaft into the adjuster. Both of my bolts were tight and Loctited yet you could spin the entire shaft and bolts easily. Like with a finger. Think of a A-arm bushing and bolt. You should be able to tighten the heck out of the A-arm bolt while still having the A-arm loose to move like it should. The bushing should not rotate! Now I have to figure out how to even get the other screw out since whole shaft spins. Kinda like a rear suspension shaft.
DSC01079.JPG
DSC01080.JPG
DSC01081.JPG
DSC01082.JPG

So it "should be" fine for most if it is loose as the cover will hold it all in place. Obviously not ideal but should be able to make it through till one opens up the case next season. As mentioned above, that many probably are riding around like that and have no clue.
We dont know that. I suspect looseness like mine wont hurt a thing but if one is actually coming out I cant see the chain adjuster working properly.

Ok I got the little SOB! Took heat and a impact. If your whole shaft is spinning and screws havent fallen out yet this is what I did.
Its a T30 Torx Bit. You need 2. Mount one in a vise.
DSC01083.JPG

Using the one mounted in vise for one screw use the other to remove a screw. One will come out. Clean it very well then find a washer to put on it. Goal here is to tighten against the adjuster so the shaft doesnt spin anymore. Tighten it good. Now flip the adjuster and heat the screw that did not come out in first step. Put the screw with washer on it on the vice mounted Torx and use a impact on the heated bolt. Try not to burn your fingers!
DSC01084.JPG

With any luck you will get the washerless screw out. Clean it and put it in lightly. Flip and put on vice mounted torx use impact to remove washered Torx and also the other one. This may take a few trys since shaft wants to spin.
DSC01085.JPG

As you can see my shaft has spun alot. Adjuster is wore alot. I will probably get a new adjuster and then I see no other choice than to weld the bolt to adjuster to prevent this type of failure. The shaft is hardened cannot be drilled deeper so bolt will sandwich the adjuster tightly. They screwed this design up!
DSC01086.JPG

Back