• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kingers BOOSTED garage....

the stock fuel tank sits right above the headers, with some insulation and heat reflective tape he'd be fine, i almost think building one from scratch would be less of a headache... just my opinion, but def a good idea!

Yeah a fabricated aluminum would be easier I think for someone with the tools. I dont have any of that available so I'm trying to get something as close as I can and make it work.

Sure like the idea of 5 gallons more but its not fitting for crap right now.

More work on the sled goal to get exhaust donuts switched out and exhaust sealed up:

Tear down went well till I got to getting the exhaust off the y pipes, seriously never swore so much to get these seperated. I hate this design!

Anyway got to the donuts and swapped out the stock donuts in favor of these bad boy copper ones.

2011-11-21_10-46-04_55.jpg

Even getting the donuts on was a challenge they fought me all the way only one slide on easily. Oh well they are sealed well now!

Next up was the excell headers replacing the stock titanium headers you have to drill out 10 rivets to get the bracket out to be able to pull the headers out, why they couldn't face the tab the opposite way so you could leave the bracket in place is beyond me. It went back in with SS nuts to make it easier next time to remove!

Here is the side by side excel on right vs stock on left. WTH is up with the far right stocker LOL How many bends can you have in one pipe!

2011-11-21_10-27-21_514.jpg

Also got to try out my new hoist man what a dream! For the first time I got the ZX2 to line back up with the holes perfectly and not having to force it with a pry and lift it and release it with a ratchet strap like before!

2011-11-21_10-12-30_304.jpg

The exhaust was just as hard to get back on as it was to get it off, I ended up using grease and ratchet strap to the headers to suck them together. I haven't fired it up yet I hope everything slid in ok!! :o|

Lastly I changed oil and chain case and both looked good! So that was nice to see but once I opened the inspection pan I see this:

2011-11-22_16-06-16_904.jpg

Is this the infamous hose clamp that is loose? I see dried coolant on that pipe so I think its coming from there. I didn't have time to mess with it.

Clutches are back from Ulmer and needed a few parts that were worn so I'll get them on next and should be close to ready for snow!

Got the clutches on and regreased my speedo bearing and driveshaft bearing and fired the sled. Everything was mint and sealed so that is a GREAT job to be done with. (the exhaust install)

Next up sled start with revised programming to hopefully let it run with the GEMS module and then back to the additional gas tank.

Did you figure out where that coolant was coming from?

A word of caution to you when first setting up your Ohlins...

This year I took my shocks down to be rebuilt. During disassembly one of the stops for the spring had about a quarter of it missing, and the same stop on the other shock had a hairline crack in it.

The guy that rebuilds my shocks was able to get the parts ($30/ea.) from Carver. He asked if this was a common problem and they told him no - that their best guess was that I didn't have enough preload on them and that when the suspension would fully extend they would actually be loose - then impact once I came down - thus cracking these stops.

It makes sense, because last year I backed preload way off - maybe had the adjusting collar down about 1/2" or so. IMO, the sled does handle better with as little preload as you can get by with - just be careful not to do what I did.

As to the rebound - and everybody will have a different opinion here as well, but I run mine toward the bottom of the adjustment. IIRC, with rebound set halfway it was like riding a pogo stick.

Good call on the white powdercoat - I did the same to mine while the shocks were getting serviced.

Still waiting for snow WTH???

I did get the sled start installed and working finally. I had to tap the main wire harness injector feed BEFORE the GEMS module and the sled start works perfect. I posted pictures of this in the boost forum as it only impacts sleds with the GEMS module. Only thing I dont like is I leave the fuse out of it for storage and when I put it back in I have to re-program the unit but oh well it will be worth it on a bagging trip to have the cold auto start feature keep this baby warm throughout the night LOL.

If we dont get any snow soon I just may need to extend it out to 151 for something to do!

Well the year has ended, even with very low snow I got 2 trips in to Cable, WI and got about 800 miles on this year. Sled now has over 5300 miles. I must say I am most impressed with the reliability of the engine/SC/Driveline, etc Every time just turn the key and go.

Here are some trail picts on the last ride:

2012-03-02_17-21-49_592.jpg

Here are some in front my my truck at the cabin
2012-03-02_07-35-22_390.jpg

I only had two small failures, the oil tank bracket finally broke and I fixed in about 20 mins:

2012-02-28_20-34-34_194.jpg

And I just noticed yesterday that the metal the rear flap attaches to is cracked all the way across and my flap could almost be ripped off by hand. Too man tail stands I guess! :Rockon:

Thanks again for all the help TY! People that ride the sled just can get over it when they are done and i couldn't have built it without TY!

:rocks:

Well I am FINALLY pulling the trigger on stretching out my sled. I have never had longer then a 121" so I was torn what to do, 136" didn't seem long enough, 144" seemed perfect but I already had 151" extensions for my ZX2 which as you know are pricey. I tried selling and no luck, not wanting to spend $400 on 144" zxtend I gave up and started looking for tracks. Not much to choose from in a 151" basically the ripsaw or crossover. I was ready to pull the trigger on the crossover but then I found a unique rare track on ebay.

A brand new 151" x 1.25" x 13.5" Predator! As some of you know the predator 6 pitch line of tracks is one of my favorites. Not sure about the 13.5" I started researching and I got a lot of positive feedback about this possibility. If you do the math its almost EXACTLY equivalent to a 136 x15 in foot print but the extra length should help bridge large moguls better AND I hopefully wont kill my top speed which I want to make sure I get back (clutching was off last year). Since I'm about a 90/10 on trail/off trail guy I think this will work out great to smooth out the ride, keep top end, and still let me bang this sled around the corners.

No pictures yet but I have some fun ideas on the tunnel extension/exhaust/seat combo for the project. Should look very clean and be VERY functional when all done.

I need to make some mods to the ZX2 to run the 13.5" which ADB reccomends NOT to do but I think I can make it work. Hopefully it wont derail first ride next year LOL.

More to come...

Attachments

• predator 151.jpg
    predator 151.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 238
i think that it is going to be a bear in the corners. i know my mtx is longer but you have to slow down a lot sooner then even a 144. i will always but long track seds becuase you can not beat the ride.

You are definitely going to feel it back there IMO. With these sleds I notice our 121" sled handles much easier than our 136" sleds. Depends how you ride too I guess, but if you are trying to get the absolute most out of your sled when it gets tight it will not handle as good as it does in its present state.

Back