• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Major Engine Failure!

Snoxracer242

Expert
:o| #$%&* #$%&* #$%&* #$%&*

Ok now that I have said that, yesterday I went for a ride, rode about 15 miles and then parked for a little over an hour while I helped my dad move snow. Then started my machine and let idle for about a minute, hopped on it and made it about 20 yards and the machine died, wtf? Engine light was on, so I shut the key off and restarted and it started right up. As it was idling the motor became noisy, so I shut it off, no engine light appeared this time, but it didn't run very long. So I pulled the side panels off, checked oil and it it right where it always has been, in the middle of the XXX. So I started it again and still noisy so I shut it off again and hauled it home.
Now in my shop I pulled the bottom panel off to check the oil filter, and nothing wrong there. So I changed the oil filter (filled it with oil) and then restarted it again for a few seconds, noisy still. So after checking everything I could externally, I pulled out my service manual to check out the oiling system. And I decided to pull the oil pan, after removing the entire front of the machine I was able to access the pan.
So I remove the pan and find a #25 size chain in the oil pan #$%&* that drives the oil pump.
I have to get back to work right now so I will finish this post later.

Dustin

I am really disappointed in Yamaha, I have really loved this sled and have taken great pride with this machine. And I bought this snowmobile knowing that I wouldn't be buying a new sled every year as in the past. So I was really looking forward to the reliablity that yamaha is known for.

But this thing has honestly been the most expensive sled to maintain that I have ever owned.
Ball joints,
Radiator supports
Exhaust donuts
Front subframe
hy-Fax 3 sets
Drive axle bearing
Track
drivers
A-Arm bushings
Tie Rod ends
AND NOW A COMPLETE MOTOR?

Real sorry to here this.
What model year, how many miles?
What kind of oil were you using?

2008 RTX 121"
completly stock with 3426 miles
ran Yamalube first 3 oil changes
Running Amsoil for the last 450 milse
1st oil change 500ish miles
2nd 1200ish
3rd 2100ish
And then put in Amsoil at right around 3000 miles
I have the exact mileage written down in manual, also changed filter everytime.

It's just disheartening, because I will not beable to afford to rebuild a motor at this time and we are expected to get some of the best snow this week.

Down and out!

Anyone else have this issue? I know amsoil is pretty well known but i have not been hearing good things about it. Hope it wasnt that. I got 6200 on my 08 ran yamalube since new. changed oil at 500....2500....3500(beginning of 09)...and then again at 6000. No issues with engine. hmmmm

Sound like a small piece of debris may have mad it to the pump and locked it up or the pump was not getting oil to it (pump also needs oil for lubrication). Any metel in the pan or oil?

Those foil seals on the quarts of oil can cause major problems if accidentally dropped in with the oil. I believe there is a screen in the bottom port of the oil tank. You may want to check it.

I would certainly take it to a dealer and try and get yamaha involved, warranty or not. Service bulletins and recalls get started by this type of failure. Put the ball in their court - Yamaha would probably want to look at this to determine the cause - once the dealer determines the problem they can call Yamaha and start to mitigate the damage -

The oil pump is not locked up and turns easy, the side plates on the chain have spots that have wore thru, looks to me like possibly one of the gears has wore thru the side plates of the chain. There is three spots on the chain where the side plates are worn. I will post pictures later of all of my findings.

woolyviper said:
I would certainly take it to a dealer and try and get yamaha involved, warranty or not. Service bulletins and recalls get started by this type of failure. Put the ball in their court - Yamaha would probably want to look at this to determine the cause - once the dealer determines the problem they can call Yamaha and start to mitigate the damage -

I have contacted my dealer and the service tech lives only a couple of miles from my place and is going to stop by tonight.

Dustin

dont bother telling the dealer you switched brands of oil, there is no way that is the cause of the failure...

its irrelevant..

man i feel your pain!!! i hope someone pulls threw for you either the dealer or Yamaha. Never like to hear troubles like that. Just wondering, when you bought it did someone swap out the genesis for a 2 stroker? kidding, lol :o| , just doesn't sound like a Yammy, hope everything is resolved. Good luck

Hough said:
dont bother telling the dealer you switched brands of oil, there is no way that is the cause of the failure...

its irrelevant..

Irrelevant or not, they might try to use that as an excuse, so for that reason alone, I wouldn't even think of mentioning it.

Back