• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My RTX LE 50th BUILD THREAD-ROCKERDAN

BRP "Clear View" Handlebar Muffs

I have had these muffs for a couple seasons now. I have always been prone to cold hands my whole life. And so I have always tried to get the thickest gloves available, and just never had great luck when the temps got below 10f or so. About 4 yrs ago BRP came out with a thin glove that I saw in their book. One person on Dootalk reviewed them, and swore up and down how great they were. So I set out to get a pair, and that first season it was nearly impossible. But I did end up finding a pair. They were everything that guy said they were.

Special materials do not allow them to get wet, no matter how much you sweat! They are thin on palm, and have a great GRIP, which is why their name is "grip glove". I found that I did not need to hang on so tight anymore, which would cut off circulation. Now the thin glove allowed heaters to cook my hands. I dont wear anything else anymore. Now they are a thinner glove, so for temps below 10f they do need more help, and the solution is the BRP MUFFS. This combo is unbeatable for hot hands period. And these muffs with clear view are the best ive used. Rigid, and can see your controls, and they dont flop around....they fit well with handguards too.

I decided to break out the acetone/pvc plumbing 'cleaner'(depot) and with a little bit of work, the massive skidoo logos were history......look great now all black.

Shown below they are installed with my new Procross handGuards and fit even better then on my doo, since these procross handguards have brackets that leave alot more space between the throttle/brake block and the bracket, and these muffs can be velcroed on in many ways in seconds.

NOTE: At initial fitting, I feel that the new Tcat style 'race brake lever' will work just fine with the muffs. Will know for sure at time of riding test, but the lever does not seem to be held down at all by muff. I do have a shorty POO Hayes lever if need be.
Dan - thanks for confirming the Doo muffs fit with the Procross guards. I like the way your's looks so much I'm switching it up (yet again). I just ordered the lighted black Procross guards and the original SE window (again). I have a chemical imbalance.

Dan - thanks for confirming the Doo muffs fit with the Procross guards. I like the way your's looks so much I'm switching it up (yet again). I just ordered the lighted black Procross guards and the original SE window (again). I have a chemical imbalance.
Haha....I have to admit, these Procross Guards are the best looking guards and LEDs I have seen to date...I turned them on today in dark garage and WOW, they just go perfectly with the stock LED signature on top of the stock headlight edging....they are alot nice looking then the BRP LED gaurds I had the last two seasons on my doo.

And they offer MORE spacing on the bars for muffs, since these brackets are very long/wide....the benefit is you get great wind coverage, and you can slide them outward quite far, which allows for mirrors to be within the guard itself, and still see pretty good out back. If you don't need to use your Parking brake ever, you can slide the left guard much further outward too.

I was pretty excited to get the logos off them, as they are amazing muffs...so glad I got ALL my logos off all the parts. lol

Even the long tcat brake lever seems like it will be fine, cant say for sure on the 17 lever but Id assume i will work. You can always not plug in the end plug into the end of grip hole, and that should allow for more leeway.

I bought an SE window for my "go to" window for much of the time. I have not put it on yet, but I layed it overtop of stocker and it looks great, as its low, but is more upright and wider wings, which offers much better protection over stock LE. We demoed a few sleds last season with SE windows, and they were my fave overall....oddly, because of how easy it was to start the sled! (access to key)

LOL

Dan

Last edited:
Cat front grill - Intercooler

I decided to grab one of these Cat grills. I am not a fan of the look as much as the stock SW grill look, As this will remove that upper shelf where my 50th emblem is. However with this grill it does better in certain snow conditions where the snow will build up on stock grill. Since it was cheap, I felt it would be a good item to have in the shop, ready for a quick bolt on/swap for days when we have lots of fresh snow around. And since this is rare these past few winters, I will run the stock grill most the time.

Dan

IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
View attachment 132227

Graphics/Wrap- Knee area

I love the 50th graphic design, but the white panels at the knee area sure will be tough to keep clean. I also felt the graphics could have gone further back around to knee area. So I wanted to do something here, yet keep it very 50th looking overall. I don't mind some wraps but most the time I don't like many of them. And its tough to get anyone to just work with you on just one area around knees. So I ended up doing it all myself.

I had the idea of what I wanted....and so I just did it old school, like I have done many sleds back in the day. Using vinyl and hand-cutting each piece to size, fitting them to the sections I wanted to do.

With these plastics its nice and easy to bring them inside, get them up high where you can work on them close up. Using 91% alcohol to wipe down the surface for prep, and then apply.

Some pics of the process......

View attachment 131924 View attachment 131925 View attachment 131926 View attachment 131927 View attachment 131928 View attachment 131929 View attachment 131930 View attachment 131931 View attachment 131932 View attachment 131933 View attachment 131934 View attachment 131935 View attachment 131936 View attachment 131937 View attachment 131938 View attachment 131939

Very nice job on the decals...both design and application.

Dan, where did you source the Aluminum 45' and why did it not have 2 bungs for both outlets? Was this an afterthought or was it by design? Gotta say you did a killer job on the graphics. I realize you want to keep this thread on point without any digression pm me if you would prefer.

Graphics/Wrap- Knee area

I love the 50th graphic design, but the white panels at the knee area sure will be tough to keep clean. I also felt the graphics could have gone further back around to knee area. So I wanted to do something here, yet keep it very 50th looking overall. I don't mind some wraps but most the time I don't like many of them. And its tough to get anyone to just work with you on just one area around knees. So I ended up doing it all myself.

I had the idea of what I wanted....and so I just did it old school, like I have done many sleds back in the day. Using vinyl and hand-cutting each piece to size, fitting them to the sections I wanted to do.

With these plastics its nice and easy to bring them inside, get them up high where you can work on them close up. Using 91% alcohol to wipe down the surface for prep, and then apply.

Some pics of the process......

View attachment 131924 View attachment 131925 View attachment 131926 View attachment 131927 View attachment 131928 View attachment 131929 View attachment 131930 View attachment 131931 View attachment 131932 View attachment 131933 View attachment 131934 View attachment 131935 View attachment 131936 View attachment 131937 View attachment 131938 View attachment 131939

Dan,

Great job with the look. I have to say you have inspired me and now I am going to have to work on graphics for mine now, thanks a lot. LOL

CAI(Cold Air Intake) - Mocking up my design

NOTE: For finished CAI pics: Quick Jump Link

After getting one of the originals out there last winter for Buds sled, I knew I wanted to tweak my own design, to allow for more airflow to the clutches.

Lots of benefits from a CAI as noted by all the tuners. HP increases and more importantly for me, better throttle response. Most will agree that a TUNE is needed to run a CAI, and I will install mine permanently after I get my initial break in miles on bone stock engine.

Just the removal of the quite large airbox alone is a big bonus for airflow, as seen in these pics.

My design has always been about NOT blocking the front stock VENT, and so I am going with a smaller k&n then some early designs, and will raise it up as high as the hood allows, so there is lots of open vent below the filter flowing air directly back to the clutches, this will even further cool the already cool running yamaha clutches..

I do this by using 2.5" OD tubing with a slight 15 degree bend in it. This in conjunction with the 2.5" ID 90 degree silicone elbow, will allow me to twist the tube/elbow to get it exactly where I want it. I will come back and EDIT this post when the k&n arrives next week. I wanted to hold off on ordering the filter until I was able to mock up the tube and elbow. I also ordered my "outerwears" filter sock which I highly recommend.

View attachment 131966 View attachment 131967 View attachment 131968 View attachment 131969 View attachment 131970 View attachment 131971 View attachment 131972 View attachment 131973 View attachment 131974 View attachment 131975 View attachment 131976 View attachment 131977

Your missing the crank case vent barb?

That was the point Pete......I hated seeing all these other "logos" on these Winders. So I wanted to be sure there was no logo left showing for mine. Its too bad Yamaha cannot get into the accessories more. I wish they would hire me, I would love creating the best fitting and most useful accessories for Yamaha. BRP is the king of this for sure.

I dont care who makes the stuff, It it works I want it. And so I dont mind breaking out the acetone now and again..lol

Dan
Job well done again Dan,i like your CAI mine now is very similar,i just did not like the big 5" x 5.5" x 5" that mine came with,it hit my hood enough,that the down pressure would start working on my silicone tube below,and causing hard rubs marks,so deep I was afraid of the tube opening up a hole,so I felt it had to be replaced. Again thanks for the K&N filters. Your sled looks amazing Dan.

Very nice job on the decals...both design and application.
Thank you....:rocks:

I must have spent days and days on that site designing things!

I just designed another one today as I did not like the one I did on fuel tank sides.

I came up with a very cool GENESIS 4 STROKE Logo that I like alot better. Nice thing is they are easy to change out anytime.

Dan

Genesis 4 stroke.jpg

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

Last edited:
Dan, where did you source the Aluminum 45' and why did it not have 2 bungs for both outlets? Was this an afterthought or was it by design? Gotta say you did a killer job on the graphics. I realize you want to keep this thread on point without any digression pm me if you would prefer.

You are talking about the CAI correct?

I do alot of new home construction in my Biz over the yrs, and alot of plumbing design work on the homes I built. I had to wait til my sled arrived to do all the final measurements on my CAI. But the goal was to make it superior to the others I had seen out there that did not take into account all the factors I wanted.

To do that, I needed a "compound bend". Not only a 90 degree off the horizontal plastic intake pipe.....but also I needed to go "past" 90, and also needed to go UPward at same time....in order to get the clearance I truly wanted for a large flow DIRECTLY onto my clutches. This design will allow 90% more airflow to clutches then stock setup, and likely 30% more airflow to clutches then some of the CAI kits Ive looked into. Many good kits out there, and some not so great. But I knew I could do my own for a fraction of the cost. If I had owned the SW last season I surely would have got my design done and put it on the market. So now it just remains my own, and here for anyone to take part in.

I happen to have some old parts around from an old intake kit(I believe it was an old Civic intake from an EX GF), in which I had some pieces. And that aluminum 15 degree bend with 3/8' vent tube was just a part of that larger kit, and I cut it out of that. I found a guy selling cheap 15 degree bends which anyone could use, but those would need to be tapped for the vent tube(1/4" preferred) barbed nipple would work.

All in all this was cheap to make, its that specific sized k&n that is the priciest part...$55 for that filter, while the rest is likely around $20 bucks total only. And dont forget the outerwears is another $18. That arrives tomorrow.

I tucked the rear vent tube into the silicone elbow, same as the stock setup is. Drill a smaller hole and the angled/cut stock tube fits super tight into there....this is why I like the silicone elbow there for that, as alum would cut into that vent tube, so you would need another nipple there if you had an alum bend with just a silicone coupler. I nearly went that route but changed mind.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan,

Great job with the look. I have to say you have inspired me and now I am going to have to work on graphics for mine now, thanks a lot. LOL
Haha...that is awesome! I always used to make my sleds my own with graphics for yrs and yrs...but the past few seasons I have done very little.

Something about owning a big dog turbo made me want to give her some love...lol

Dan

Job well done again Dan,i like your CAI mine now is very similar,i just did not like the big 5" x 5.5" x 5" that mine came with,it hit my hood enough,that the down pressure would start working on my silicone tube below,and causing hard rubs marks,so deep I was afraid of the tube opening up a hole,so I felt it had to be replaced. Again thanks for the K&N filters. Your sled looks amazing Dan.
Great to hear Pete!

I had that kit, and felt the same.....not sure why they did that but that kit is not for me.

This is why I spent some time in measuring things up....I wanted a 3.5" diam to a 2" tip, so it would be narrow at the tip and fit into that area like a glove. Length is 5" which is perfect, and a smaller flange size then most others. Flange size does not matter here as I can slide the filter further onto the alum tube as needed.

One thing I might add....even though my CAI is quite solid when clamped up, A snowmo environment as we all know is very harsh on a sunday afternoon of being pounded through 3 footers...So I am going to design a bracket or bolt in which the end of the alum tube will be bolted to the plastics...I have not gone into detail with this but felt it would be smart to do.

I am running my sled 100% bone stock for the first few weeks, so I wont install the final design until then...and obviously install my tune at that time too. I would not add CAI on a stocker guys, just to be safe.

Dan

Dan ,does that btx seat come with the heating element in it ,fully assembled ?Thank you

Back