• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My RTX LE 50th BUILD THREAD-ROCKERDAN

CAI(Cold Air Intake) Completed- Custom design to meet my criteria

After my mock up, I ordered the k&n I wanted online, to get the exact size i needed to make this CAI a perfect custom fit.I know many of these CAI kits look the same,but there are subtle differences when you really dig in. This design gave me what I was looking for. The most airflow to the clutches, and a direct cold air entry point into the filter.

The key here is having two bends, this allows me to tweak the angles perfectly. Anyone who does plumbing as I do in the biz, knows you can make any angle you want when you use more then one elbow coupling. So the silicone 90 degree elbow and then the aluminum 15 degree elbow allows for a straight flanged filter with heavy taper(3.5'' to 2") and a length of 5" allows for the perfect fit behind the stock screen.

Still waiting for my outerwears but it will be here Monday.

View attachment 132142
View attachment 132216
View attachment 132145
View attachment 132146
View attachment 132148
View attachment 132217
View attachment 132153

View attachment 132155

View attachment 132161
View attachment 132162
View attachment 132163
You can see here how the 15 degree bend allows me to swing the filter upward into top of screen, allowing for max cold air to pour under it down to clutches. This is why the smaller k&n is what I wanted, the perfect tapered fit.
View attachment 132164 View attachment 132165 View attachment 132166 View attachment 132167 View attachment 132168 View attachment 132169 View attachment 132170 View attachment 132171 View attachment 132172 View attachment 132173 View attachment 132174View attachment 132218

Hi Dan,

Awesome design on the CAI, after looking through the pics and basically copying yous
CAI(Cold Air Intake) Completed- Custom design to meet my criteria

After my mock up, I ordered the k&n I wanted online, to get the exact size i needed to make this CAI a perfect custom fit.I know many of these CAI kits look the same,but there are subtle differences when you really dig in. This design gave me what I was looking for. The most airflow to the clutches, and a direct cold air entry point into the filter.

The key here is having two bends, this allows me to tweak the angles perfectly. Anyone who does plumbing as I do in the biz, knows you can make any angle you want when you use more then one elbow coupling. So the silicone 90 degree elbow and then the aluminum 15 degree elbow allows for a straight flanged filter with heavy taper(3.5'' to 2") and a length of 5" allows for the perfect fit behind the stock screen.

Still waiting for my outerwears but it will be here Monday.

View attachment 132142
View attachment 132216
View attachment 132145
View attachment 132146
View attachment 132148
View attachment 132217
View attachment 132153

View attachment 132155

View attachment 132161
View attachment 132162
View attachment 132163
You can see here how the 15 degree bend allows me to swing the filter upward into top of screen, allowing for max cold air to pour under it down to clutches. This is why the smaller k&n is what I wanted, the perfect tapered fit.
View attachment 132164 View attachment 132165 View attachment 132166 View attachment 132167 View attachment 132168 View attachment 132169 View attachment 132170 View attachment 132171 View attachment 132172 View attachment 132173 View attachment 132174View attachment 132218

Hi Dan

Great job on the CAI I am pretty much borrowing your design :). I think there is a better way to mount the vacuum hose on the PVC and have attached a pic. These look awesome for this purpose. They come with a punch for the hole and are inserted from the inside with rubber o-ring for seal followed up by a washer and nut on the outside

BF.jpg

rnusr01, do you have a link to those barbs?

Yes those look nice, seen a cheap version on e- bay but no where near as nice.

Yes those look nice, seen a cheap version on e- bay but no where near as nice.

I just ordered some and will give feedback and pics when I get them

What is the ID of the hose being connected? I work in a machine shop so I could spin something up.

Probably obvious but use loctite in case that rubber o-ring shrinks a hair under cold and the assembly starts to loosens.

The o-ring is over the stud or the barb so even if it was loose it couldn’t go anywhere. The line would have to fall off the connection along with the nut for it to get sucked up.

The o-ring is over the stud or the barb so even if it was loose it couldn’t go anywhere. The line would have to fall off the connection along with the nut for it to get sucked up.
I was looking for a cross section to see the sequence. Not sure if it would piss air.

Alright Dan, you win.....

I'm going to give in to the handguards. I have those Doo mirrors and I'll put one inside the guard.

One question. Doo the handguards just plug in?

Christmas is going to suck......for somebody. Lol!!!

Last edited:
if you are talking of the cat handguards...I was going to install them last year also...I ended up liking ther sentinels color wise better...but both similar in design

for power...they CAN utilize the accessory port down by the chaincase...of course you COULD wire a switch....but like DAN ...I agree with him and hate the switch and have my powermadds with leds wired to the accessory port...so key on...they're on...key off...they're off! no forgetting on or off...and if i need light trailside at night..key to first detent and on...

Back