• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My RTX LE 50th BUILD THREAD-ROCKERDAN

Like the cat hand guards...but I would want to be able to turn the LED's on and off when I want. What kind of switch would I need?
Well, after a season with LED Guards on a switch, I wont ever do a switch again.

On the DOO, there is no "KEY" for ignition.(push button start) So with their signature LEDs, they want you to wire them into the +12v accessory plugin, and so they come on when sled starts. Well, I did not want that, as I wanted to be able to turn them on trailside, at night.....for either oncoming traffic or just to see trailside. Great as they take little power to run. So on the DOO I had to go with a separate switch to get what I wanted.

Well, after a couple seasons, I did not like the switch at all. I always wanted mine on, and it was always an extra step, take off....ooops, I forgot to turn LEDs on, so gotta hit switch. Now I turn sled off, head into restaurant....oops, forgot to turn OFF the switch...Grrr....it became maddening.

So Im very happy to say, now with a normal sled with a KEY, and an "ON" position....I can turn them on trailside at night as I like(no engine running) and NEVER need to worry about the "oops" factor again, Turn sled off, LEDs are off....Turn sled on, LEDs are on....same as all DRLs on cars.

Dan

How many studs are you going with?

BTW: my '17 came with Battery Tender cable

I am running a 2/4/2/4 pattern with double backers and single backers....I will certainly post up all my info when it comes time to stud her. But I tend to hold off on early season studding. No ice on lakes and alot of road running is not kind on new pointy studs.

If you look at my first post, you will see the stud boy template I have and the part number for it.

Dan

Dan, I just have to say I’m feeling extremely lucky and honored to have bought the same sled as you!!
Your sure to cost me some money here but it looks like every penny will be well spent. My boss and the wife won’t
Particularly feel the same way as he see’s my face glued to the I pad and the wife see’s the UPS truck rolling up again.
Keep them pics and posts a rolling.
LOL....The last couple of DOOs I had, and their coinciding build threads, I would end up making people do alot more mods then they ever planned...haha

I always liked to show how much I like working on them, and its great to see guys doing their own mods who might normally have to pay someone to do them.

Such a great sport, not just the riding....but the modding is a sport all in itself!

:bling

Hey Dan, great write up! Do the Doo muffs fit with the ProCross hand guards in place?
Hey Bud!

I have to say, they sure better! But I have not even given them a try too be honest.

I will say this, as seen in the pics..you can see how LONG the brackets are. This was another reason I wanted to give these a try. With all other guards, the brackets are clamped fairly close to the brake/throttle blocks....And with that design, it was always tough to strap/velcro on the BRP muffs....So now with these long brackets, there is alot of space from throttle block, and even some decent space from brake side clamp, to the left guard clamp. This should allow for the easiest installing BRP style muffs ever.

I do think the race brake lever will rub inside, and so I will swap in the shorty POO lever for those days only. I think I have the MUFFS here at home, so I will do a mockup soon and post some pics here...Might be a good thing to do soon as I know many like to get all their stuff ahead of time now.

Dan

Dan this is great, due to neccessity I have decided on the following effective immediately:
1) Throw away brand new never installed Powermadds and buy Cat Procross lighted hand guards + mirrors - way cooler
2) Throw away Yamaha tuner skis and buy Pilot 5.7 or 6.7 - way better
3) Buy Windshield bag - extra storage always better
4) Buy Aluminium lift - cooler than my old steel lift
5) Buy suite of clutch kit+flashes + muffler + flasher - Around December - critical
6) Swap out Woody signature studs and install Golddiggers - better (signatures not for me)
7) **LinQ - up for debate over deluxe tunnel bag
LOL, Lou you are cracking me up here! Not sure if you are being facetious...haha

I will say, its a good list you got there! haha :bling

Definitely send back those Woody's SS signature series, those are just always trouble! GDs or even Mega bites only IMO for trail riding ect.

Once you run the LinQ stuff, its hard to go back to anything else. Im waiting for my new LinQ bag to arrive, BRP finally realized so many other brand owners are using their stuff, they needed to remove the SKIDOO logo and just use LinQ logo.

Dan

:rocks:

Always like your write ups and you helped me out a lot back in the day when I first got my 06 RTX (still one of the best looking sleds ever to hit snow in my opinion) I have to ask why you chose 5w 30 weight oil vs the 0w 40 oil that Yamaha uses. Or even possible 0w 30 weight if you can find it. I use Mobil One in my vehicles and depending on availability I use it or Amsoil in my Harleys. I'm sure your sled will be the envy of most of us when your done keep up the great thread and ride safe but ride like hell...

Well, after a season with LED Guards on a switch, I wont ever do a switch again.

On the DOO, there is no "KEY" for ignition.(push button start) So with their signature LEDs, they want you to wire them into the +12v accessory plugin, and so they come on when sled starts. Well, I did not want that, as I wanted to be able to turn them on trailside, at night.....for either oncoming traffic or just to see trailside. Great as they take little power to run. So on the DOO I had to go with a separate switch to get what I wanted.

Well, after a couple seasons, I did not like the switch at all. I always wanted mine on, and it was always an extra step, take off....ooops, I forgot to turn LEDs on, so gotta hit switch. Now I turn sled off, head into restaurant....oops, forgot to turn OFF the switch...Grrr....it became maddening.

So Im very happy to say, now with a normal sled with a KEY, and an "ON" position....I can turn them on trailside at night as I like(no engine running) and NEVER need to worry about the "oops" factor again, Turn sled off, LEDs are off....Turn sled on, LEDs are on....same as all DRLs on cars.

Dan

Thanks for the response Dan. I'm just afraid that they'll be irritating at night??? If I knew they wouldn't be, then I might feel more comfortable with not needing a switch?? Those do look so tough though on your 50th!! Want that same look on mine.

Dan

my sentiments exactly...eliminated the switch with the sentinel led handguard setup..

Thanks for the response Dan. I'm just afraid that they'll be irritating at night??? If I knew they wouldn't be, then I might feel more comfortable with not needing a switch?? Those do look so tough though on your 50th!! Want that same look on mine.

on the odd chance he or I dont want them on ...open side panel and unplug...

Always like your write ups and you helped me out a lot back in the day when I first got my 06 RTX (still one of the best looking sleds ever to hit snow in my opinion) I have to ask why you chose 5w 30 weight oil vs the 0w 40 oil that Yamaha uses. Or even possible 0w 30 weight if you can find it. I use Mobil One in my vehicles and depending on availability I use it or Amsoil in my Harleys. I'm sure your sled will be the envy of most of us when your done keep up the great thread and ride safe but ride like hell...
Their 5w30 was rated one of the highest. 40 weight too heavy. PM me if you want I can send you the info.

Dan

At night is when they are best. They are more to be seen then to see however.

You can wire them up stock(to key as I did) and try it, if you dont like them then add a switch.

One thing of note for guys who run tall windows..they will "backlight" the tall window, and may be annoying. I cannot speak to that as I always ran a X window or XRS window on the DOO, and BRP does not paint their windows solid, so this was a non issue. My dealer brought this up as he runs a taller window.

I also run my riser fairly straight up, as we are located on a tight trail system which begs you to be as far ahead as you can with knees sweeping the panels. So the light reflected on backside of window for me is quite minimal. Lots of subtle things to consider here.

Dan

Back