• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My RTX LE 50th BUILD THREAD-ROCKERDAN

Lots of Doo Talk guys here. There is nothing wrong with owning multiple brands, it makes sled ownership that much more fun. Too bad there are so many blind brand loyal guys on DT because it makes it very uncomfortable to post there. I'm glad we have Dan here doing what he does best and I'm really looking forward to the rest of his build and his performance results.
Well said Joe...

I try to keep an open mind, and this was a hard one as you know due to the Cat relationship now. And the 2012 yr that put that bad taste in many of our mouths. But I was open to the new 998 design project from get-go, when Chris Reid starting posting it all. I was only one season into my 1200, so it was not easy. While I really loved that 1200 XS, with all the mods I did 110mph was just not gonna be enough when I was used to bigger power for many yrs. So it was inevitable to find myself back in the turbo camp, but it took YAMAHA to get me here. Was not gonna be a cat. Not that the 998 cat is bad.

It will be really interesting if BRP ends up trying to get into the turbo world in the next couple of seasons. That would be a real rivalry for sure then. Beckoning back to the 92,93,94 seasons with the first hyper sleds, when Yammie had the Vmax4 and then BRP had their first MachZ. Fun times.

Dan

JOE,I was a Yamaha guy well before i had Doos
Ken, I think alot of us were! haha.

I started on a DOO elan in 69 as a small kid but my first NEW sled I bought around 17 yrs old was a ('86)Phazer 485cc. Also had an enticer 340 ('82) and then it was over to DOO from 88 through 2006 when I got my apex. The cat in 12 was an anomaly for me veering away from doo/yam. And that was a fiasco. No POO ever, but have to admit when Dano got one last season I scoffed, but then ended up LOVING his Assault when swapping. Quite a trail rocket, tons of snap and transfer.

Dan

Last edited:
Yamaha and Ski Doo are the only brands I have bought in the last 14 years. I enjoy both of them but as soon as I bought my SW Myself and others who bought them took a lot of crap over on DT.
You and me much alike....and I recall anytime I would mention my beloved Apex on DT, they would all laugh and joke. Heck I always thought DOO and YAM were the only two sleds I would ever own.

I do think BRP is far ahead in fit/finish still....Poo is a close second. Yam used to be king of fit/finish when they were Japan built, but now we have Cats basically in that dept. Well its not all that bad. This red Tunnel looks really nice, and I can live with that now much easier then in 12. lol

Dan

image.jpeg

Dan I'm running the whiteout technologies linq brackets, I really like them and they don't stand out as much as others I've seen.

Dan, a little facetious, I will try to exchange the hand guards for credit against the gold diggers, otherwise its all business. Also, your Garmin post last year motivated me to install a refurbed Zumo 550 and it worked great.
Will take a closer look at the LinQ at Doo dealer soon. Always great to learn about your mods.
LOL, great to hear.:Rockon:

I should have time to work on my LinQ setup soon. If you have the LTX you have more tunnel room to work with then I do. I am trying to KEEP my stock small bag on the tunnel, and fit the LinQ bag, so Im tight on space.

Ill post up all the details soon as I get it done.

There is a great thread here from last winter about luggage ect, so search that up as there are tons of good pics there about it

Dan

Ken, I think alot of us were! haha.

I started on a DOO elan in 69 as a small kid but my first NEW sled I bought around 17 yrs old was a ('86)Phazer 580cc. Also had an enticer 340 ('82) and then it was over to DOO from 88 through 2006 when I got my apex. The cat in 12 was an anomaly for me veering away from doo/yam. And that was a fiasco. No POO ever, but have to admit when Dano got one last season I scoffed, but then ended up LOVING his Assault when swapping. Quite a trail rocket, tons of snap and transfer.

Dan
Gota bust your chops because you are obviously detail oriented....

The '86 Phazer was a 485-ish cc. The one I bought (electric start) is still in the family. One of my brothers owns it. The 580 engine was found in the SRV. I had one of those too... 1985 model year...:sled1:

Last edited:
Yes I agree, and I can be dyslexic at times, I knew 485 in my head but wrote it wrong...Hate that when it happens as I do like to get things correct....I know cause when I was that age I could not afford the bigger sleds, and would have loved something with more CCs. lol

thank you Sir!

Dan

:Rockon:

Just an editing update...I am in the process of adding "Quick Jump" links to the Original Post. I found over time, this really helps others as well as myself. Its wonderful to just bookmark the thread, and come here yrs down the road and have ALL Quick Links on the OP, to each and every subject I detail within the thread.

I will keep adding them as I get more of the mods done on my OP list.

Go back to OP and check em out! Click!!! Quick Jump Link

Dan

Screenshot below

ql.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 131862

Dan I'm running the whiteout technologies linq brackets, I really like them and they don't stand out as much as others I've seen.
Looks great, I asked about RED for my tunnel but they only have black or raw. I would consider PC but the anodized is really what I want for its non scratching surface. So I will run them black too.

Dan

Where are all those stickers going? I can guess what the registration number is for the sled, but the rest? The trailer?

Haha....yeah, I miss those DT threads. Being in denial is tough.
What was tougher was explaining how good the sidewinder rode. It's a piece of fine art.

I'd say a good majority of sidewinder owners were pleasantly surprised with the sleds all out capabilities.

I mean it's a well crafted 600lb+ slob. And the only time it let's you know it, is in the garage.

Back