• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
Mine seams smooth as will when warmed up. but when warming up the RPM are lower than before by about 300.

so tired of the new flash, my xtx 15 just wount start when its cold. Have to use an extra battery or starting booster, no problem so far when hotstarts, i will have to try get the old flash back.
Just cant trust this flash, it realy sucks when you dont know if it starts,
Got a brand new battery and still it wont start if i dont conect another battery to it
I think that you might have an issue with your battery or the cables(connections). Here in Ontario, I would take the battery to an auto store and get it load tested to see if it will put out the current that it is supposed to. I would then check all of the connections to the battery, starter solenoid and the starter, making sure that there isn't a bad connection(be sure to check the ground connection too). When you boost with an external battery you are making more power available to the starter, which would tend to point towards your battery being weak. Let us know what you find and good luck. John.

Left the Viper outside of my garage. -37*f and no go...... and no go on all 3 vehicles in the yard, nothing plugged in as I was off work but a buddy called and said he needed a ride home from night shift. -18*f coolant temp reading and the Viper started the morning before though on the first attempt, that use to be a 2 or 3 attempt start and waiting for loud exhaust pop or two! As long as the engine spins fast enough it starts now, at -37 it barely turned over.

I think that you might have an issue with your battery or the cables(connections). Here in Ontario, I would take the battery to an auto store and get it load tested to see if it will put out the current that it is supposed to. I would then check all of the connections to the battery, starter solenoid and the starter, making sure that there isn't a bad connection(be sure to check the ground connection too). When you boost with an external battery you are making more power available to the starter, which would tend to point towards your battery being weak. Let us know what you find and good luck. John.

The problem accurd direcly after the flash, before the flash it fired right upp, when i try start it after flash it was almost impossible..
But i keep you posted.

Ok this flash does struggle on cold starts but does get it done if everything else is good. As Allan here suggested the cold start high idle is lower than before. May not matter but with all previous flashes mine would start almost instantly in cold. Sometimes even startled me. That is not happening anymore. This is this morning. -25f been sitting outside in trailer since Monday. Untouched. No heater. No charger. I never prime my sled. Ever. No need. Original battery with over 13000 mi on it.It's not pretty but it started!
https://www.facebook.com/100000487846099/posts/3018027091556856/

Left the Viper outside of my garage. -37*f and no go...... and no go on all 3 vehicles in the yard, nothing plugged in as I was off work but a buddy called and said he needed a ride home from night shift. -18*f coolant temp reading and the Viper started the morning before though on the first attempt, that use to be a 2 or 3 attempt start and waiting for loud exhaust pop or two! As long as the engine spins fast enough it starts now, at -37 it barely turned over.
Same here. Let's keep all these posts in one thread though. Sticky at top. Thanks

Have you tried giving it a small amount of throttle for a split second when you first hit the key? I've found this to help in -f temps.
Nope. 2019 I turn the key and it starts. Refuse to do anything more. They messed with more than they should have in this flash too. Once again Yamaha dropped the ball. I have seen progress so hope is there. It's livable and shows no inclinations of kickback which I fear most so once again will wait for a REAL fix.

Even if this isn't the ideal fix I wouldn't refuse to take an extra step to help it start easier. I know it's frustrating but If there's anything that can be done to reduce the cranking time and prolong the life of the starter system I'm going to do it. A starter failure out on the trail is even more frustrating and a starter system failure can get expensive. There probably will never be an acceptable fix for this problem unless they recall/replace all the ECU's.

Even if this isn't the ideal fix I wouldn't refuse to take an extra step to help it start easier. I know it's frustrating but If there's anything that can be done to reduce the cranking time and prolong the life of the starter system I'm going to do it. A starter failure out on the trail is even more frustrating and a starter system failure can get expensive. There probably will never be an acceptable fix for this problem unless they recall/replace all the ECU's.
Good point. Of course you are right. We did have to give mine a bit of throttle last weekend in UP first morning. Just ticks me off. Thanks for the wisdom Grizz.

Had the new flash completed a week ago. Before the flash it was the usual 2 shots on a cold start. But always started. On a warm start it was always 1st try. What I am noticing now is with the cold start. Before the engine would fast idle at 1800 rpm until the low temp alarm went out. And then drop to a steady 1500 rpm. Now with the new flash, the cold start rpm is only 1600 and drops to 1500 within a few seconds (probably 30 secs or so). RPM is steady at 1500 once warm. Anybody else seeing this. Have not had a chance to talk to my dealer yet.

EDIT:
Sorry, must have missed a few posts as it appears I am not the only one with a lower cold idle.

Last edited:

Back