• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
Ok this flash does struggle on cold starts but does get it done if everything else is good. As Allan here suggested the cold start high idle is lower than before. May not matter but with all previous flashes mine would start almost instantly in cold. Sometimes even startled me. That is not happening anymore. This is this morning. -25f been sitting outside in trailer since Monday. Untouched. No heater. No charger. I never prime my sled. Ever. No need. Original battery with over 13000 mi on it.It's not pretty but it started!
https://www.facebook.com/100000487846099/posts/3018027091556856/
This is like mine . I tried mine at -15c it started first time and idle was from 1450 to 1600 but as Steve said never went above 1600

Don't want to get off track but I glad I have a 2016 with the updated one way bearing with all this going on.

Had the new flash completed a week ago. Before the flash it was the usual 2 shots on a cold start. But always started. On a warm start it was always 1st try. What I am noticing now is with the cold start. Before the engine would fast idle at 1800 rpm until the low temp alarm went out. And then drop to a steady 1500 rpm. Now with the new flash, the cold start rpm is only 1600 and drops to 1500 within a few seconds (probably 30 secs or so). RPM is steady at 1500 once warm. Anybody else seeing this. Have not had a chance to talk to my dealer yet.

EDIT:
Sorry, must have missed a few posts as it appears I am not the only one with a lower cold idle.
No Allan and I were discussing it in PM. May have scrambled some in Merge but I had approval to do so over a week ago. Should have done it then. Is still worthwhile to keep all this in one thread so YAMAHA can find it easily. Sick of excuses for a flash. Lack of info will not be one of them. I am watching this like a hawk and any info will go right here from now on. They do read the forums. Sorry for any confusion.

5 years of flashes and Yamaha have not go it right this is just a joke. How did they miss this low idle at start up?

5 years of flashes and Yamaha have not go it right this is just a joke. How did they miss this low idle at start up?
Lack of testing plain and simple. A dyno in a nice heated shop is a great tool but its not everything that matters. Lets try to look at this Positively

They purposefully gave us a longer cranking sequence rather than two try start to avoid kickback. I am ok with that.
Definitly better response when warm. Timing advanced
Much better idle quality.
Seems to crank faster

Another positive is added rpm before rev limit. I have not checked how much but thats what they advertised.

Another positive is added rpm before rev limit. I have not checked how much but thats what they advertised.

I didn't check rpm's but I did tap the rev limit a couple times similar to what I had last season. I don't think it happens as often and it did seem to hit 90+ mph a little easier.

I didn't check rpm's but I did tap the rev limit a couple times similar to what I had last season. I don't think it happens as often and it did seem to hit 90+ mph a little easier.
River by me is great now so will pull a bunch of weight out one of these days to find out where it is. Probably could get fairly accurate just taking belt off or on a stand.Hmm.

I'll get a better feel for any performance upgrades this flash made in a couple weeks when I travel up to Ontario Canada for a lap around Algonquin Park.

Does the dealer need your entire machine to perform the update or can you bring in just the ecu?

Wasn't expecting this today, -11 F cold start kickback. Thanks Yamaha for the update.

Last edited:
Here is how mine has started since the flash, roughly the same amount for crank time from -18*f coolant temp to 195* coolant temp in the gauge. 2*f coolant in the video, first attempt. It obviously works on 14’s!

My 2014 also starts the same way so far been very consistent

Back