• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
Swedish dealers have stop uppdate the new flash because of the cold startingproblems.
Yamaha is aware of the problem, lets see if they would do anything about it.
Tried today again in -13c, wouldnt start if i didnt use extra battery.

Swedish dealers have stop uppdate the new flash because of the cold startingproblems.

Visit my dealer in sweden today and he said nothing about that? Who tells you that the flash is stopped ?

Sundsvall doesent make the flash because of the cold startingproblem. Talked with them today.

Kiruna is aware that some have this isseu
”We are aware of the cold starting, but there is no solition of the problem yet, yamaha is informed”
Kramfors knows about it.

All the viperowners i know here has cold starting problems. 2016 seem to work better than 14 and 15, i have cycle for at least 20 sec on my 2015 with an extra battery, my brothers 2016 for about 8-10 sec.
I dont know how 2018-2019 works.

The good thing with the flash is that it idle better, runs smoother, feels more crisp, but that doesnt help me when it wount start. And it seems impossible to get the old flash back.

Last edited:
Sundsvall doesent make the flash because of the cold startingproblem, Kiruna is aware of the problem.
”We are aware of the coldstartingproblems, but there is no solition of the problem yet, yamaha is informed”
Kramfors knows about it, Ö-vik too

Everyone here has cold starting provlems. 2016 seem to work better than 14 and 15, i have cycle for at least 30 sec. My brothers 2016 for about 8-10 sec.

The good thing with the flash is that it idle better, runs smoother, but that doesnt help when it wount start. And it seems its impossible to get the old flash back.

What we need from Cat engineers is an old carb fuel primer or a choke..

:drink::drink:

Took my xtx for a ride today after the new flash. started first try cold -15c and first try hot also as Better throttle response.
When riding I also use my gps and trip on machine all the time. Before the flash the the machine would show 8% more km than the gps. today after the new flash, machine only showed 1% km more than the gps. That's a good think. But I did fine the machine burned more gas today than before in the same conditions and filled up the same way. That i'm not impressed with!! Going to check this all again tomorrow to make sure.

Edit:
up date below. but I don't think it uses more gas with the new flash.

Last edited:
Wasn't expecting this today, -11 F cold start kickback. Thanks Yamaha for the update.

So, was that the real deal? Did it chew your ring gear, and potentially wreck your stator?

What year is your Viper, and would this still be covered?

Hope it's a ecu and wiring harness

So, was that the real deal? Did it chew your ring gear, and potentially wreck your stator?

What year is your Viper, and would this still be covered?

It's hard to hear in the video but along with the kickback it also backfired. After the kickback I hit the key again and it started immediately. It's a 2015 that never had the 2016 flash update. Since new I've never had this happen and I've started in -30 temperatures successfully. I decided to do the 2018 update only because it had an occasional warm start issue which this flash didn't total correct either. I normally don't use the kill switch to shut it down but during a ride yesterday I used it when we stopped for a brake on the trail. On the restart attempt it took 4 tries before it finally restarted. What really sucks is that for now I'm stuck with this flash because there's no way to roll it back.

I rode it 140 miles yesterday with many restarts and so far there is no signs of starter gear or clutch damage. I'm heading up to Canada next week for 5 days to make the loop around Algonquin Park. Maybe I should consider taking the Nytro up there instead.

It's hard to hear in the video but along with the kickback it also backfired. After the kickback I hit the key again and it started immediately. It's a 2015 that never had the 2016 flash update. Since new I've never had this happen and I've started in -30 temperatures successfully. I decided to do the 2018 update only because it had an occasional warm start issue which this flash didn't total correct either. I normally don't use the kill switch to shut it down but during a ride yesterday I used it when we stopped for a brake on the trail. On the restart attempt it took 4 tries before it finally restarted. What really sucks is that for now I'm stuck with this flash because there's no way to roll it back.

I rode it 140 miles yesterday with many restarts and so far there is no signs of starter gear or clutch damage. I'm heading up to Canada next week for 5 days to make the loop around Algonquin Park. Maybe I should consider taking the Nytro up there instead.
That was scary as heck Griz! I surely would bring a real good big boost pack and keep sled and pack as warm as possible. I also do not recommend this flash anymore. Its a ShitShow!

That was scary as heck Griz! I surely would bring a real good big boost pack and keep sled and pack as warm as possible. I also do not recommend this flash anymore. Its a ShitShow!

I have a good boost pack but the ride next week in Canada will be a multi day bag ride so the booster won't be an option.

Those little ones work great. Had to start my buddies 7000 with it. Fits in pocket.

I don't want to get to far off topic here but because this new flash may require a jump pack at times it's worth talking about.

I have a pocket jump pack also but never tried to jump a low battery with it. I use it for charging phone and communicators. What jump pack do you have? mine is a Schumacher 600 amp.

jump pack.jpg

I tried my sled today with the new flash.
-18c started the first try, hot start it took 2 tries twice over a couple days of testing. but all other tried it started the first try.
I checked my gas millage again today I now don't think the sled burns more gas with the new flash than before the flash.
But what did happen with new flash on my 2016 xtx is the sled trip km is almost the same as the gps km on, only 1km different in a 155km run.
Before the flash my trip km would read 8% more than the gps. This is why I thought the sled was burning more fuel with the new flash.

I don't want to get to far off topic here but because this new flash may require a jump pack at times it's worth talking about.

I have a pocket jump pack also but never tried to jump a low battery with it. I use it for charging phone and communicators. What jump pack do you have? mine is a Schumacher 600 amp.

View attachment 145797
That will work great. I have a Anti Gravity brand. Bigger one in truck and smaller one in sled. They work great.

Back