• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear suspension sagging?

Hey Fabio! Online they’re $93 can for 20ltx se
96783CC8-3347-4847-9342-A611A494794B.png

Yes as stated the front half off track is off the ground, limiter straps at longest and 2 inches of preload on front shocks as factory set.
I just checked the 19 srx and the track touches even when suspended and dropped to the ground all factory settings, how do the 2020's handle in the twisty corners?

Runs great in the twisties with snow trackers on the tuners but it is so bad in the deep snow trying to break trail as compared to my Vipers. Haven't been able to try breaking trail with the front shocks loosened off. Will say this my buddies 900 turbo with duallies was a bear to steer when we swapped rides.

If I had this issue I would be pulling both torsions. The short end should be at 90 deg to the long end. If its like the other its SRX springs. But ride it first. Maybe you will like it. Can also try softening the ski springs like SwampCat did.
Finally got to check the rear springs, they were 90 degrees at the short and long legs.

Finally got to check the rear springs, they were 90 degrees at the short and long legs.
You line the two skids up? At this point at least we know it’s not the Torsion springs at fault since those were the ones previously used. Thanks Swampcat

Not sure when the big comparo is gonna happen. Was hoping to break this new ride in yet this season. Corona mayhem is throwing big wrenches into the plans so far. DAMN Chineese. Not only do they make junk parts for the sleds, they make it so we cant even go riding.

Is there a chance they put the old limiter straps in. They are shorter! Mine where in the second hole and lengthened them to the last hole. I had my suspension out last week for a look over and RR shaft install and the shock has an 1/8” preload on last hole. Also noticed a tab welded on so you can’t rotate the rear shock mounted like some have done.

Attachments

• B4DFFC42-07DA-4D0F-9FE1-71D2FF999E33.jpeg
    B4DFFC42-07DA-4D0F-9FE1-71D2FF999E33.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Is there a chance they put the old limiter straps in. They are shorter! Mine where in the second hole and lengthened them to the last hole. I had my suspension out last week for a look over and RR shaft install and the shock has an 1/8” preload on last hole. Also noticed a tab welded on so you can’t rotate the rear shock mounted like some have done.
That tab is a great idea! Limiters too short would do it also. Good point!

Cannondale I have the rear skid out of my Viper LTX that I sent the shocks to Hy Gear and had them re done along with whatever rear springs they sent me. I am running Stingrays front spring also. This set up worked awesome along with the front Evol QS air shocks. I was going to switch all this stuff over to my 20 Winder LTX SE but now I'm un sure if this stuff will preform the same way if the 20 and newer rear skids are different. Would I be better off just having the 20 shocks re done or are they basically the same shocks

Last edited:
Was there ever a definite fix for this sagging problem? My Dad’s ‘20 LTX GT does this too. Pick up on the rear bumper to its max height, let go, and it falls 2-3” with no pressure at all. Almost sitting on the transfer blocks with no weight. Ride quality sucked and felt like it was bottoming out too.

I am not sure everyone is seeing the same thing. Your dads LTX GT sounds identical to mine.

When its not on the transfer blocks it can not support its own weight. Even with the spring on its hardest setting.

When it gets to the transfer blocks it is extremely stiff. Takes me and my cousin jumping on the rear bumper to get it to move. Both of our weights are around 450lbs. With just me on the rear bumper i can not get it to travel past the coupler blocks. I am 200 pounds. This could be the bottoming out feeling your dad is getting. Mine has not been on the snow yet and i was hoping it just wasnt broke in.

Before the social distancing set it i was able to check out some local pre 2020 LTX LEs. They feel completely different. They have very smooth suspension travel. The big thing i noticed is my new 2020 hits the transfer blocks in the upper 3/4 travel of the suspension. The pre 2020 hits the transfer blocks some where around the bottom 1/3. I was going to haul mine over and compare them side by side.

What I invision my 2020 ride to be like is very soft upper travel and a harsh hit when it connects with the coupler blocks. And being it almost sits on the coupler blocks with no one on it you basically will bounce up instead of absorbing the bumps. Because it takes an extremely large amount of weight to get it to move when it is on the coupler blocks.

Trying to stay optimistic about it as i have not had it on the snow. But it appears like it is going to ride like absolute crap if this doesn't change. Talked with the dealer i bought it from. Obviously they have never heard of this. I also asked if warranty would cover a new set of springs. They said new springs are not warrantable unless there is a deflect or broken. Suspension sag or sitting low is not a defect. But it has not been on the snow yet. So i dont know for sure how it will ride.

I almost feel like there is a geometry change or something not bolted in the correct hole to cause it to act like this.

I am confident this great family on this site will figure out this issue. Just hope it doesn't end up costing me too much as i really like the pre 2020 handeling and ride.

Off to work for me. I am a semi mechanic for a trucking company that hauls refrigerated goods around the country. We are running around the clock. Running 6 tens in the shop to keep all trucks rolling!

I’m pretty sure you guy have defective springs with this sagging issue because I’m 270 and my 2020 is on the softest setting almost of the time with around 4” set in with me on it and springs back up to the stops when I get off. No sag at all when I’m off of it.

My 2020ltx le sags bad same as said above and dealer wont do anything for me. Really disappointing Yamaha and there dealers wont back there product! These aren't cheap machines as everyone knows. I was on skidoo's before and truthfully cant say anything bad ! Yes I had issues with some of them but my dealer backed me and warranty was always covered. I only keep sleds while under warranty but truth is this 20 ltx le may be the last Yamaha for me. Cant spend this kind of cash and have NO warranty coverage. My springs have been bad since about 150mile mark.
The sled handles great and rides good while trails are groomed. It's too bad I really like this sled compared to my 2017. But trail ride 99% of time and need a suspension that works and a dealer/product that honors their warranties.

Having a good dealer is the key to good warranty! My dealer is really good and has always helped me out even when I didn’t buy the sled off him.

I am not sure everyone is seeing the same thing. Your dads LTX GT sounds identical to mine.

When its not on the transfer blocks it can not support its own weight. Even with the spring on its hardest setting.

When it gets to the transfer blocks it is extremely stiff. Takes me and my cousin jumping on the rear bumper to get it to move. Both of our weights are around 450lbs. With just me on the rear bumper i can not get it to travel past the coupler blocks. I am 200 pounds. This could be the bottoming out feeling your dad is getting. Mine has not been on the snow yet and i was hoping it just wasnt broke in.

Before the social distancing set it i was able to check out some local pre 2020 LTX LEs. They feel completely different. They have very smooth suspension travel. The big thing i noticed is my new 2020 hits the transfer blocks in the upper 3/4 travel of the suspension. The pre 2020 hits the transfer blocks some where around the bottom 1/3. I was going to haul mine over and compare them side by side.

What I invision my 2020 ride to be like is very soft upper travel and a harsh hit when it connects with the coupler blocks. And being it almost sits on the coupler blocks with no one on it you basically will bounce up instead of absorbing the bumps. Because it takes an extremely large amount of weight to get it to move when it is on the coupler blocks.

Trying to stay optimistic about it as i have not had it on the snow. But it appears like it is going to ride like absolute crap if this doesn't change. Talked with the dealer i bought it from. Obviously they have never heard of this. I also asked if warranty would cover a new set of springs. They said new springs are not warrantable unless there is a deflect or broken. Suspension sag or sitting low is not a defect. But it has not been on the snow yet. So i dont know for sure how it will ride.

I almost feel like there is a geometry change or something not bolted in the correct hole to cause it to act like this.

I am confident this great family on this site will figure out this issue. Just hope it doesn't end up costing me too much as i really like the pre 2020 handeling and ride.

Off to work for me. I am a semi mechanic for a trucking company that hauls refrigerated goods around the country. We are running around the clock. Running 6 tens in the shop to keep all trucks rolling!
Try this. Jack up front of sled. Loosen and remove ALL preload from ski springs. Tighten preload just enough to keep springs in place. Put sled back on floor and check again.

Back