• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rxrider's Turbo Garage - pics back, will continue

Working on it, will post pics when I have the time.

UPDATE December 3. - Installing oil adaptor plate, oil filter and oil feed line for turbo. Installing oil return line. Intercooler test install.

I have now got almost all parts needed to finish off my project. Only problem now is time. Will have to sleep some time next year LOL.

Powder Lites oil filter adaptor plate installed. The O-ring goes on the inside towards the engine. The copper washer goes behind the adaptor plate bolt. Oil all surfaces and the O-ring well with engine oil before installing to avoid damaging the O-ring.

2008_12050005.jpg

Next was installing the oil feed line. Make sure you have one washer on each side of the banjo fitting before installing the banjo screw to the adaptor plate. Also remember to oil the adaptor plate and oil filter O-ring well with engine oil before installing the oil filter. Tighten the oil filter as hard as you can with your bare hands (DO NOT USE A TOOL WHEN TIGHTENING THE OIL FILTER).

2008_12050006.jpg

Next job was to install the braided oil feed line to the banjo fitting.

2008_12050008.jpg

Then I routed the oil feed line up to the turbo. I did not install the oil feed line at this time as the turbo has to be lubed before installing.

2008_12050009.jpg

Ready to install the oil return kit. I had to file the holes on the oil return kit some to make a good fit.

2008_12050010.jpg

The oil return adaptor and pipe ready to be installed to the turbo. First I had to dig up the gasket....where....ahhh found it.

2008_12050011.jpg

The cover plug removed and the oil return kit plug and hose installed on the cylinder head cover.

2008_12050012.jpg

First test install of the Intercooler. MAN it barely did fit, it's a pretty tight fit but it goes in there with some persuasion. It's ready to be installed sometime soon.

2008_12050016.jpg

:tg: :pics: :bling

UPDATE December 4. - Installing new 45 degree oil drain pipe for the oil return. Installing turbo and hooking up oil return line to the turbo. Installing water lines and adding heat shielding material.

When test installing the turbo after the oil return kit was installed I found that the oil return kit did not fit in my configuration, not even close. Remember I have a NfS2 header and the oil return kit is designed to be used with a PL header. Luckily my good friend Odd Steffen could make me a new 45 degree pipe. He hit it right on first time around, the 45 degree pipe he made me fit perfectly, thanks buddy :)

2008_12050019.jpg

With all issues on the turbo install figured out it was time to install the turbo to the header. On goes the header gasket.

2008_12050023.jpg

Next was lifting the turbo in place and connecting the oil return line.

2008_12050024.jpg

2008_12050028.jpg

Then it was time to tighten down the turbo.

2008_12050030.jpg

2008_12050031.jpg

With the turbo installed it was time to install the water cooling lines. I also insulated the lines with some heat shielding materials to keep the heat away from the water lines.

2008_12050033.jpg

2008_12050034.jpg

I will also insulate the oil return line like I did the water lines. I'm going to hook up the turbo water lines to the carb heating lines, between the carb rack and valve train cover. A small problem... the carb line is a 5 mm water line and the turbo water line is a 10 mm line. Luckily my friend will make me a few transitions from 5 to 10 mm to solve my problem :) thanks again buddy.

Thanks Blue shadow

this is just wrong....You need help.....
:o|
Looking REALLY good...can't wait until you get it together...I sure wish you were done by now so I could drop my sled off ad have you work on it instead....This must be one of the best threads on this site, or any other for that matter, I've EVER seen :Rockon:

Thank you guys for your kind words :)

I have started the work of adding a thread index on page 1. Take a look, what do you think, will it help making it easier to find the interesting stuff?

Jan-Ove
rxrider

UPDATE December 6. - Insulating oil and water lines at the turbo. Installing WBO2 sensor and insulating the wireing. Installing downpipe.

Tonight I continued working on the turbo oil and waterlines insulation. I'm not going to take my chances with the heat, I'm covering all lines and wireing close to the turbo and downpipe well with insulation material for maximum protection from the radiant heat.

Oil return line insulated.

2008_12070020.jpg

Oil return line and waterlines insulated.

2008_12070021.jpg

2008_12070022.jpg

Next was installing the WBO2 sensor to the downpipe, the bung for the sensor was welded into place by NfS2 when manufactured. While at it I insulated the wireing as well.

2008_12070024.jpg

2008_12070025.jpg

Then I installed the downpipe using the Nordlock washers and bolts I ordered from Powder Lites (none carries them around here).

2008_12070026.jpg

2008_12070028.jpg

Before installing the oil feed line for the turbo I added engine oil to the oil inlet of the turbo to lube the bearings inside the turbo.

2008_12070029.jpg

2008_12070033.jpg

I also primed the oil feed line with lots of oil, I may filled the oil filter completely which is a good thing, it helps in getting the oil pressure to the turbo as quick as possible on the first startup.

2008_12070030.jpg

After priming the oil feed line and the turbo I installed the oil feed line to the turbo and tightened it down. I also insulated the oil feed line close to the turbo to protect it from the heat around the turbo.

2008_12070037.jpg

Last work done tonight was hooking up the wireing from the O2 sensor to the Innovate LC-1 unit and securing the wireing to the deltabox frame.

2008_12070038.jpg

A few pics of the insulation work done today.

2008_12070040.jpg

2008_12070041.jpg

2008_12070042.jpg

I guess heat should not be a problem with the lines and wireing protected like shown above. I'm going to add a shield to protect the secondary clutch from radiant heat coming from the downpipe and turbo.

UPDATE December 7. - Installing turbo heatshields. Installing new connections for Innovate XD-16 wireing.

Heat shield installation. All piping and insulation done at the turbo, it's time to install the heat shields around the header, turbo and downpipe.

I installed the rear large heat shield first. I added all bolts but did not tighthen them down at this time.

2008_12070044.jpg

Then I added the top heat shield and mounted all bolts and nuts loosely, with all bolts, washers and nuts in place I tighten down the shields.

2008_12070045.jpg

Done.

2008_12070047.jpg

Installing new contacts for Innovate XD-16. I decided to go with connectors that are easy to disconnect if need be, for easy removal of the hood and/or the XD-16. First I added push type connectors (the type you have to squeeze onto the wireing), then I soldered the wireing to the connectors for my piece mind.

2008_12070049.jpg

The XD-16 is ready to be installed in the hood gauge pod area.

Last thing I done was to reinstall the Volt regulator (rectifier) down in the nose cone. Plan was to relocate the regulator and put the air filter up front but it's not possible to install the air filter in the nose cone because of the HUGE Powder Lites stage 3 intercooler.

Back