• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rxrider's Turbo Garage - pics back, will continue

rxrider said:
TT - The nozzles are threaded, no weld on bungs included. It did not come with a tap.

Thats funny mine came with a tap they must of forgot to put it in.

Hahaha I will look closer before installing the meth.. the tap are probably there :)

Update March 20. - Unpacking the Water-Meth kit, hardened head studs and MSD Launch Master.

Unpacking :jump:

2009_03200001.jpg

My friends MSD kit.

2009_03200002.jpg

2009_03200003.jpg

2009_03200007.jpg

My Meth-injection kit.

2009_03200008.jpg

Time to start working on the meth injection install as soon as I have some time to spare hahaha soon I hope. :tg: :-o

water/meth control and launch control are all in one with an engine management system ;-)

you won't sleep to night Jan ;-) hehe

Update March 20. - Removing cams. Installing ARP head studs.

I put my own plans on hold for a while to help out my friend getting his sled ready to ride, mine is rideable as is so I'm in no hurry installing head studs and meth injection at this time.

So on we went tearing my friends sled down yet again LOL.

2009_03200010.jpg

2009_03200011.jpg

2009_03200012.jpg

Put the timing marks on the cams on the dots and shot some pics to have as backup when they're going back in again. This sled had a MCX turbo kit installed to it just after break in was done. The shop that did the install did a mistake when installing the cams, the trained eye should spot it right away, what is wrong in these pics?

2009_03200013.jpg

2009_03200014.jpg

2009_03200015.jpg

Removing the cams. I'm taking it kinda seriously, as you can see, carefully unscrewing the cam caps :) This work is to be done by the book. I recommend reading the part on cam removal a few times before taking the cams off the first time.

2009_03200020.jpg

2009_03200021.jpg

The cams are out and placed exactly as they came out on the plate.

2009_03200023.jpg

To be able to get the head cover off we had to take the throttle bodies off the intake.

2009_03200024.jpg

Finally we got some snow, we got hit by a blizzard, pics shot outside my house when out for a break.

2009_03200026.jpg

2009_03200029.jpg

We contacted Dave HURRICANE with question wether it was possible to change out the stock head studs with ARP 10 mm studs one by one. He said that it was possible if you were able to get a grip on the studs to unscrew them off the block. Encouraged by his positive answere my friend went on fabricating a one off head stud pulling tool. Here's a pic of the first version of the tool.

2009_03210002.jpg

Installed the tool and out came the first stock head stud. Installed the new ARP stud and torqued it to 35 ft/lb or 47 Nm. I like that the ARP studs takes an Allen wrench, much easier to install or remove the ARP studs :)

2009_03210004.jpg

The tool works by first installing a nut down on the head stud to work as a counter nut, then install the tool itself on top of the stud and tighten it down hard enough that it fasten itself to the lock nut. The center part of the tool has threads in both ends where one end threads onto the head stud and the other end has threads for a bolt to add pressure on when tightened down hitting the head stud, finally there is a counter nut to lock the bolt down as well. The added pressure from the top bolt makes the tool grip the head stud and makes it possible to unscrew the tool and the head stud comes out with it.

Applying the tool to one of the head studs.

2009_03210005.jpg

The stock head stud to the left, the ARPs to the right.

2009_03210006.jpg

The stock head stud is slim compared to the 10 millimeter ARP studs.

2009_03210009.jpg

We had to modify the tool by cutting the counter nut in half because of space constraints.

2009_03210012.jpg

On the to bolts to the left we ran into problems and had to modify the tool for the third time to no avail, we couldn't get the front left bolt out of the block. We had no choise than to Loctite the tool onto the stud using blue Loctite, it was getting pretty late so we decided to leave it until the next day before making a new attempt to remove it.

2009_03210016.jpg

Update March 21. - Installing ARP head studs continued.

Last night we added Loctite on the stud pulling tool. Today we tried to remove the stud and it worked like a charm :Rockon:

2009_03210059.jpg

Me out in the Turbo Garage, happy that I were able to remove the stud.

2009_03210062.jpg

Me and my friend (to the left) working on changing out the head stud with ARP studs. Teamwork at it's best, friends working together on a turbo sled hahaha

2009_03210064.jpg

Still a pair of happy campers....

2009_03210065.jpg

Until the next bolt gave us the exact same grief as the previous bolt.... out with the Locktite ..... and then we went to our friend Kjell-Vidar's 40th anniversary, a party we wouldn't miss for the world. Sunday afternoon we removed the last 3 stock bolts and replaced them with ARPs. When installing the ARP's we used engine oil on all threads an meeting surfaces. My friend torqued the nuts to 45 ft/lb or 61 Nm. We will let it sit for a while before torking the nuts to 45/61 yet another time, then it's assembly time :)

rxrider are you wearing a onesy (pronounced one-ze, like a babies zip up clothes for a newborn) LOL

As your aware be very careful on the 45ft-lbs that is near the breaking point for the block then you would have a major problem!

No - hahahaha it's what I wear underneat the bibs when out riding. Garage was at summer temps and it felt pretty comfy not wearing pants hahahaha I will wear proper pants next time, I promise :)

It's a Garrett GT2860RS

:-o That is the correct wrencing outfit buddy :jump:

Have you experienced any fuel pick up problems with the REV gast tank going downhill with less than half tank? There was a post on SW were a guy had some problems. He changed out the REV tank with a RT tank with dual fuel pickup.

Nice work rxrider :Rockon: when we tried to change out my stock studs for arp's we had a while trying to do what you have done and had no luck :o| had to pull the head.

Back