• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rxrider's Turbo Garage - pics back, will continue

I have a package coming over from Hurricane, will ship friday, he had the restrictor in stock and will send it in the same package as the rest of the stuff I have on order :)

Jeg er en Turbofant

Thank you TT for helping me out by sending over a restrictor for me to run until I get the parts from Hurricane - You're a great guy TT :)

UPDATE March 6. - Third ride. Checking for leaks, heat shields, boost pressure and AFRs.

Another test ride, still checking all systems for leakage. No leakage spotted.

My sleds inside the Turbo Garage. :bling

2009_03060019.jpg

The turbo #$%&*

2009_03060020.jpg

The turbo outside my house.

2009_03060024.jpg

I found no other leaks than the small leak I have caused by the lack of a restrictor in the oil feed line to the turbo. I have the restrictor on order from Hurricane, he will ship it friday.

I found a short straight on a lake with enough snow to hold it WOT for 50 meters or 150 ft. AFRs were at 11.5 and boost level were at 15 lbs when I let off throttle. Holy cow she pulls now LaLaLa :Rockon:

I also tested a few WOT from a standstill, response is immediate and boost is on within a fraction of a second. I run Hurricane's turbo springs and they work wonders as I have no hesitation or burble/farting down low anymore. I also have the vacuum/pressure signal line for the fuel regulator connected at the carb boots, no rich conditions encountered after a wheelie or when landing hard, works flawlessly so far.

I'm very happy with the outcome of my build, it's even better than I ever hoped for. :tg: Can't wait to get the restrictor installed to remove the last bug from the system. Then I will consentrate on boost level, jetting and clutcing.

:rules

:letsnow:

Thanks for the good words buddy!

But this goes both ways guys - rxrider does what EVER he can to help a fellow boost brother out. I know!!!!!!!!!

My god its a apex with a hood! I love the final result of all the rider forward stuff. I would probably soil myself grabbing a handfull of throttle on that beast if you say its faster then you expected!

It looks SOOOOOOOOOOO much better outside then in your shop man, ride that beyatch!!!!

On the few short WOT runs I have made so far she's much faster than the MCX, tested on the seat of the pants dyno LOL when it comes to soiling I'm changing my underwear on a daily basis from riding the sled LOL

I have not yet checked what rpms she pulls, can't wait to start tuning the beast. That's almost the best part of owning a sled, only thing beating that is riding it when it's at 100 % performancewise.

Yeah I'm very happy with both the performance and the looks. I have ArcticFX graphics planned for, the white/Blue flame theme is what I have in mind, should work with the black and blue :)

WOW - I gotta change my avatar very soon....

Great idea, working on it :)

Hahahaha it's done

Thanks kinger

UPDATE March 11. - Fabricating an oil restrictor to reduce oil pressure to the turbo.

I've had to much oil flowing to the turbo caused by no oil restrictor on the oil feed line. I had oil coming out the Vortech Bypass valve and probably out the exhaust as well. I checked oil but level was the same as when I filled her up.

Today I started to tear her apart to remedy the situation. I started by removing all hoses and removed the IC. I checked inside, there were no oil in the plenum or air box. I raised the IC up against the wall and just a few drops of oil came out the air inlet on the IC, it seems like most oil vent out the Vortech.

2009_03110048.jpg

2009_03110049.jpg

Then I removed the banjo bolt and washers from the oil feed line.

2009_03110050.jpg

Here's the part I found to use as a restrictor in the oil feed line. It has a 0.8 millimeter or 0.0315" hole thru it and should fit just perfect as Dave @ PL recommended a 0.032" jet to do the job as a restrictor. This part is actually the tip that feeds the metal thread out of the MIG welder, the feed tip is also threaded outside with M5 0.8 threads.

2009_03110053.jpg

I started working on the banjo bolt, drilled out the center hole to 4 mm or 0.157", then I tapped in M5 0.8 threads in the hole I just drilled out. To make it impossible to screw the restrictor past the side holes in the banjo bolt I did not add threads all the way down inside the banjo bolt. I want to sent a big thank you to TT for warning me of that possibility, now it should be fool proof even for me hahaha :-o

2009_03110054.jpg

With the banjo bolt done I extended the threaded part of the restrictor to be able to screw it deeper into the banjo bolt. Here's a pic of the banjo bolt done and the restrictor almost done.

2009_03110056.jpg

Restrictor done and ready to be installed into the banjo bolt. I added some teflon thread tape to keep it from unscrew itself and at the same time keep oil from leaking thru the threads.

2009_03110057.jpg

I added a groove across the tip of the restrictors outer end, nice to be able to screw it firmly down into the threads using a flat screwdriver.

2009_03110062.jpg

The restrictor installed in the banjo bolt. I blew into the end of the bolt to check that there was no blockage. Restrictor development is done, time to install the oil feed line. :Rockon:

2009_03110063.jpg

Done, oil feed line, washers and banjo bolt installed. Fairly easy job :) :tg:

2009_03110070.jpg

IC installation remains. I'm thinking of reducing the fuel pressure some. I have 12 mm threads showing above the lock nut and up to the top of the adjuster bolt. My friends RX-1 is at 10 mm and he is jetted richer than me on a rear mount MCX turbo kit. My guess is that his fuel pressure is lower on his sled compared to mine. Sorry I do not have a fuel pressure gauge at hand. We both run the exact same Malpassi fuel pressure regulator.

Anyone have an idea of what to do with the fuel pressure?

Update:
IC has been installed, sled is ready to ride. Going out soon for more testriding.

2009_03170001.jpg

That oil restrictor is just what the TURBO-DOCTOR ordered - good job :-o ! That will take care of oil being pushed passed the seals. Get that oil mess cleaned up and start the fun part tuning the sled :jump:

I have a fuelpressure guage with 8mm barb fittings. I will be gone for a week - you can borrow it if you can have it back to me by next thursday. I will finish my install when getting back.

Set your fuel pressure at 4,5-5psi at idle. By the way what Malpassi regulator do you guys have - Malpassi 241?

TT - thanks doctor LOL for your input prior to the development of the restrictor, wish I had listened to you a few months back...... wishful thinking isn't going to get you anywhere ahahahahaha

kinger - glad you like my avatar, thanks for making me change out the old awatar from almost 2 years back, it came out pretty good. I will make a better one when I have shot the perfect pic.

Thanks rockmeister :)

Back