• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder Belt Blowing

Hello. I drove 1000 km on a belt. Noticed the scuffs. Can I keep riding it? Or is it better to replace?
Belt 8JP-17641-00-00
The edge tension is 1-1.5 mm.
The belt width is 34 mm.
View attachment 167320View attachment 167321View attachment 167323View attachment 167324
Looks like the belt(inner cogs) was scuffed while installing it or removing it.. If the secondary sheaves are not spread apart far enough while installing or removing belt this can happen.. The scuff marks are only on the spots on the belt in the picture? OR are they through out the entire belt? If your belt deflection is to tight which it appears to be > it could cause the scuffs also, but not likely unless you are running it really tight.. It would squeal at idle if this was the case? I would set your deflection so the belt is EVEN with the upper sheaves. Run it

Scuffs only in some places. There is no screeching at idle. You are probably right, too much tension rubs the belt (internal teeth) on the shaft of the primary pulley. I'll make a deflection at the level of the upper pulleys and take a look. Thanks.

Hello. I drove 1000 km on a belt. Noticed the scuffs. Can I keep riding it? Or is it better to replace?
Belt 8JP-17641-00-00
The edge tension is 1-1.5 mm.
The belt width is 34 mm.
View attachment 167320View attachment 167321View attachment 167323View attachment 167324
My 8JP is doing the exact same thing, but the mileage is at 7000km on it. Time for a new one.
My deflection has not been set too high. Belt lasted 2 seasons which is good enough.

Not sure why yours would look like that after 1000km.
MS

My 8JP is doing the exact same thing, but the mileage is at 7000km on it. Time for a new one.
My deflection has not been set too high. Belt lasted 2 seasons which is good enough.

Not sure why yours would look like that after 1000km.
MS
From the pic , there appears to be wear on all the cogs , which ,I assume , is coming from the primary shaft .
This could be happening at idle , without causing creeping ?
Does the track rotate when on idling on a stand ?

Just adding my 2 cents worth , due to the fact that 12,000 klms. of trail have recently gone red , and I am not able today to trailer 7 hours to sled !!!

Most likely, belt wear is due to friction on the primary pulley. I probably raised the belt much higher than the plates, the caterpillar turned a little. Now I have made a belt exactly with plates. Yamaha recommends keeping the belt at the same level, probably because of this I have damage on the belt. In general, after a trip, especially in deep and heavy snow, I always let the turbine idle for a minute so that the turbine cools down, at this time the belt rubs.

I think a combination of proper rollers and the offset is the biggest thing. Once I went to 58.2 I Iwent from blowing belts every 400 miles the 1st year to no belts blown in five years.

I think a combination of proper rollers and the offset is the biggest thing. Once I went to 58.2 I Iwent from blowing belts every 400 miles the 1st year to no belts blown in five years.
I borrowed a belt deflection tool from a friend, it’s from straight line performance and the numbers don’t go high enough, so it measures differently… says in the instructions to check for Yamaha specs at Totally Yamaha, but wondering if you are aware of what number would match up with the 58.2 you measured?

Back