• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder not starting

Juicer

Extreme
We were at a gas station yesterday and I noticed a guy’s Sidewinder not starting. The cluster would not turn on and the fuel pump would not cycle. The guys played with his kill switch and they were finally able to fire it up. Then his buddy’s Thundercat did the exact same thing.
The outside temperature was -25 Celsius plus a cold north wind.
What could be the issue?

We were at a gas station yesterday and I noticed a guy’s Sidewinder not starting. The cluster would not turn on and the fuel pump would not cycle. The guys played with his kill switch and they were finally able to fire it up. Then his buddy’s Thundercat did the exact same thing.
The outside temperature was -25 Celsius plus a cold north wind.
What could be the issue?
yes it is you handlebar kill switch !!!when it happens blow some warm air with your mouth directly on the switch till you see your cluster light up again talk to your dealer about it i think they are not properly sealed

Fuel Pump relay needs to be warmed up in hand.

Must remove hood as they are located in the nose of sled.

Been talked about over and over, but lets do this again for anyone who has not seen.

Also may need to warm up the MAIN relay too, or others if need be.

Dan

Fuel Pump relay cold start.jpg

Fuel Pump relay needs to be warmed up in hand.

Must remove hood as they are located in the nose of sled.

Been talked about over and over, but lets do this again for anyone who has not seen.

Also may need to warm up the MAIN relay too, or others if need be.

Dan

View attachment 137471

Yep been a Yamaha problem for years. I guess they don't test these things in cold weather. The only question I have is if they were fueling up everything under the hood should still be warm. The kill switch freezing might make more sense since it's exposed to the cold wind and wouldn't take long to freeze.

Yep been a Yamaha problem for years. I guess they don't test these things in cold weather. The only question I have is if they were fueling up everything under the hood should still be warm. The kill switch freezing might make more sense since it's exposed to the cold wind and wouldn't take long to freeze.
next time try it before removing your hood you see a have 2 friends that did that and it work every time but it always took a couple of warm blow before the cluster lights up!!!

I figured it might be a relay but I thought it was weird that the guy played with his kill switch and the lights came on and he was finally able to start his sled.
The funny thing is it happened to a Sidewinder and Thundercat within minutes at the pump.

next time try it before removing your hood you see a have 2 friends that did that and it work every time but it always took a couple of warm blow before the cluster lights up!!!
Sounds like this would be a good thing to do before removing relays and removing panels. I did have my key switch freeze on me last year in the Gaspe. We rode in some drizzle before shutting them down for the night. Next morning everything had a layer of ice because it got cold and snowed on top of everything. First the key would not go in and when it did it took some time to get it to turn. The location of the key made it very hard to get any heat to it. This is only one of the reasons I like the DESS on my SkiDoo's.

Back