• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Some fun testing - motec sidewinder

Brent68

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
5B90DA7B-8795-407A-A4E8-AA045E84BD20.jpeg
This is my second year with sidewinders. This one has a MoTec, the other has all the goodies with a flasher. I’m impressed with both setups. Again, I really like both sleds a lot!

I was surprised at the boost levels we can achieve on pump gas and Lucas additive using the motec with closed loop control. With recent adjustments it’s running over 20psi with clean log file (zero knock). See pic above.

The clutching is identical for both, DTAY-1, dalton B/G primary. Stock helix with Dalton B/O at 60. After turning it up a bit, the Motec sled runs max weight at 81 grams @ 9200 at 21psi (pump gas/Lucas and clean log file). 11.9 AFR. Not going to push it further this year.

I realize this setup isn’t for everyone, but for those who like to tinker.....well pretty fun. Thought it might be worth sharing. Who would have thought testing could still happen in northern WI!

Cheers!

So no advantage for the Motec over a flash?
MoTec pulls 6 grams more per arm in the primary and 200 more RPM. Big difference. The Highest pump gas flash tune I can find is 18.5 psi.

MoTec pulls 6 grams more per arm in the primary and 200 more RPM. Big difference. The Highest pump gas flash tune I can find is 18.5 psi.

I have lots of experience with the motec system and other than being able to fine tune and adjust fuel and timing the shops that have flash tunes with knock control are just as good without the big expense.

You talking in front of or behind the throttle bodys?

So your running 87 grams Dalton Arms? Green Primary and stock helix with that Motec on Pump fuel?

so why can the motec make more boost on pump with out knock ? were u using stock fuel system?

You talking in front of or behind the throttle bodys?

So your running 87 grams Dalton Arms? Green Primary and stock helix with that Motec on Pump fuel?
Sorry for the confusion, 75 grams in flashed sled, 81 in MoTec. It’s boost pressure not MAP pressure. MoTec is running more boost and slightly leaner.

It
so why can the motec make more boost on pump with out knock ? were u using stock fuel system?
I had to adjust the fuel system, bigger pump and bigger injectors. From what I see in logging, maybe there is room in the flashed tunes for more boost?

I have lots of experience with the motec system and other than being able to fine tune and adjust fuel and timing the shops that have flash tunes with knock control are just as good without the big expense.
I agree the flashed tunes are great. The motec just gives you control of the tune. This sled is getting a larger turbo this summer and the motec will make the turbo change easier.

Sorry for the confusion, 75 grams in flashed sled, 81 in MoTec. It’s boost pressure not MAP pressure. MoTec is running more boost and slightly leaner.

I'm running 81g in Dalton DTAY-1 weights, the green spring and stock helix with B/O on the Hurricane 270 and 290 tunes. We run over 75.g in the 240 tune with stock helix. This is with Hurricanes stock hi-flow replacement muffler on them.

Can you keep the belt on this Motec sled OK? I get about 300-400 miles riding what I call easy on the 290 tune and the 8JP belt is cooked if I use the throttle too much. I get no knock even at 12.0-12.3 AFR on the 290.

I'm running 81g in Dalton DTAY-1 weights, the green spring and stock helix with B/O on the Hurricane 270 and 290 tunes. We run over 75.g in the 240 tune with stock helix. This is with Hurricanes stock hi-flow replacement muffler on them.

Can you keep the belt on this Motec sled OK? I get about 300-400 miles riding what I call easy on the 290 tune and the 8JP belt is cooked if I use the throttle too much. I get no knock even at 12.0-12.3 AFR on the 290.
Your set up on the hurricane tunes sound solid.

I really can’t comment on belt life, not enough miles on the motec to give a solid answer. Original belts are on both sleds. MoTec sled has 700 miles and the flashed sled has 1800 miles.

I have the motec as well. Works great. Not really necessary for "trail" riding at all. It is second to none for all out racing efforts and total end user control which is what I have it for. For my promod.
Only as good as the person entering the mapping into it obviously. Great if you want to run any size injectors. Larger turbos. Traction control. Fully controllable antilag. Datalogging (same as flashes but a lot more things can be logged). Closed loop fueling control.

At the end of the day imo the main benefit to the motec or any standalone (link, vipec, bigstuff 3 etc) will be seen solely at full racing efforts where you can squeeze out and tweak every last bit of efficiency.

I also have a flasher and flash bundle along with a "piggyback" fuel adder setup. So I have experience with all 3. I'll keep the flasher for trails and the standalone for racing.

Cost of the Motec vs canned tune is quite abit higher.

Got any specific costs?

thnx
Dan
Hi Dan,

First, thank you for sharing all the information on your build/experience. It’s a pleasure to learn from you!

The cost difference is a chunk....at least double. If the goal is to stay with the stock turbo then the pro tuners and flashing is a great value. One thing you would enjoy is the mid-range on closed loop is impressive.

Back