• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
We should write a letter to Yamaha with the signature of all members and to show our disappointment how they handled Viper startup problems.

And invite Yamaha snowmobile to this forum so they can explain the problems.

And that we want to find a solution with a new ECU and wiring harness.

Last edited:

Actually when you break it down to lines of code and someone puts a correction factor on one line that inadvertently gets buried into a software segment that is copied into all of the different software products it is very possible and easier to do, and miss, during inspection and testing than any other method that has been discussed. Because if you miss it once you will most likely miss it every time because it's the same people and process.
Your right of course. Even our oldest g code machines at work have copy paste though. LOL the one thing we all bragged about was speedo accuracy and they ball that up.

We should write a letter to Yamaha with the signature of all members and to show our disappointment how they handled Viper startup problems.

And invite Yamaha snowmobile to this forum so they can explain the problems.

And that we want to find a solution with a new ECU and wiring harness.
They are here and reading I have no doubt.

Nos pro is letting me do some voltage drop tests on his Sidewinder. Sure seems to work well with more than likely same basic wiring. Either way Mitsubishi Ecu is on a Sidewinder. Why there and not on Vipers? This needs to be like fan and cold start update on Phazer. New harness and Mitsubishi Ecu.

Nos pro is letting me do some voltage drop tests on his Sidewinder. Sure seems to work well with more than likely same basic wiring. Either way Mitsubishi Ecu is on a Sidewinder. Why there and not on Vipers? This needs to be like fan and cold start update on Phazer. New harness and Mitsubishi Ecu.

So the big voltage drops on cranking is on Sidewinder too? But the Mitsubishi ecu handle it just fine?

Last edited:
No Sidewinder wiring Diagrams available yet again so makes it difficult but I do recall the two ECU power wires being at battery and kill switch does still allow starter to crank while engaged. That is just like our Vipers and Unlike any other Japanese Yamaha ever made.

Your right of course. Even our oldest g code machines at work have copy paste though. LOL the one thing we all bragged about was speedo accuracy and they ball that up.

The M1A2 Main Battle tank went from an analog control system to all digital in 1991. Six Million lines of code of which 4.5 million are self test and analysis and the remainder operational. Cars are approaching those numbers now. And you think we have problems.

The M1A2 Main Battle tank went from an analog control system to all digital in 1991. Six Million lines of code of which 4.5 million are self test and analysis and the remainder operational. Cars are approaching those numbers now. And you think we have problems.
Yes I do since haven't had a car or truck with a issue like this for 20 years now myself and the M1 sure seems to get the job done pretty efficiently from what I have seen of those who go against it! My phone SD card is smaller than a dime yet holds Gigabytes of info on it. One million lines is nothing in this age anymore. A highschool gamer could do a better job I bet. Not me but only because I have never tried to learn code further than what my job and hobbies have required. Would be a interesting field but not for me since no riding or wrenches involved.

Ive been riding mine in km's and nothing seemed off to me, not really obvious anyways.But maybe it is.I'll check on my next ride.Do the 17's have this flash?
Supposedly they do but we do not know if factory flash is the same as dealer flash.

Yet my truck works properly every time I turn that damn key...

your stx dx is total different sled than mine I have a 146 " track. mine has 9 tooth driver and 24/50 gears .
Gearing does not affect speedo since sensor is at driveshaft which is after gearing in driveline. Only thing that affects speedo would be Programming,Magnetic reluctor,Driver size and track.

The new flash is officially released in the USA right now. All dealers got notified. Ironic huh? Now wait for one that works!

Back