• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters

The new flash is officially released in the USA right now. All dealers got notified. Ironic huh? Now wait for one that works!

Days after my Dealer called to complain about the Speedo issue and ask where their notice of the new flash was! WTfart!

Only Issue with not getting the flash is that if you do have an issue with the starter Yamaha may not warranty it because you chose not to do the flash that was supposed to "fix" the starter issue.

The new flash is officially released in the USA right now. All dealers got notified. Ironic huh? Now wait for one that works!
Yup my dealer called me this afternoon... I had the evo turbo flash done last week but o well im glad i did it! So now with this new speedometer issue is it worth it? my dads 2015 stx will need it done but if its worse I wont let him do it.

"The ECU is not equipped with an engine kickback control feature. Under certain starting conditions, the fuel injection mapping may allow a misfire, causing the engine to rotate backward and damage starting system components."

Someone that could explain how it's possible that engine rotate backward if not ignition timing is all wrong??

When they can explain the variances in starting,poor idle quality and now an inaccurate speedo maybe then but as of right now there are idiots behind the wheel and I am not getting on board. They do not know what they are doing and factory will not touch my sled until they can prove otherwise. My motor blows starter and its their fault they will warranty it or pay the consequences. Not worried. Corporate in Japan will eventually find out whats going on here and either kill the sled program or make it right. I am prepared to deal with either choice. No way am I flashing my sled with the new Yamaha flash.

Its too bad people are having issues, yes I appear to have a speedo issue, no biggie. Im sure it will be fixed, but the sled starts and runs great other wise.

"The ECU is not equipped with an engine kickback control feature. Under certain starting conditions, the fuel injection mapping may allow a misfire, causing the engine to rotate backward and damage starting system components."

Someone that could explain how it's possible that engine rotate backward if not ignition timing is all wrong??
CAT.

Seriously now. I think you know. It's that voltage drop to Ecu. Once it recovers sometimes it must be fast enough to trigger a spark at the coils. Ecu can't deal with it.

Question is, can the 2015 flash be put back in?
I can tolerate the rough cold idle of the 2015 program. Always smoothed out when warm. And warm starts were instant.
I'm not liking the long cranks, and 2 tries thing, of the 2016 flash.

Only Issue with not getting the flash is that if you do have an issue with the starter Yamaha may not warranty it because you chose not to do the flash that was supposed to "fix" the starter issue.
this is debatable!! I have not received any notice in the mail/email stating there is a flash for both our viper and zr 7000! so I think even if don't flash starters will still be covered!

this is debatable!! I have not received any notice in the mail/email stating there is a flash for both our viper and zr 7000! so I think even if don't flash starters will still be covered!
I don't believe you will get notice. Never have in past other than for recalls. This is a tech bulletin not a recall. In past the bulletins were always on a as needed basis. This one even has a expiration date which a recall never does. Based on past practice I would say they cannot deny starter gear failure. If it does fail and they will on some I highly recommend oil pump and pan removal since pieces do not belong floating around in engine and pump rotor damage has in fact been found in motors with failed gear. That means motor MUST come out. Really should be inspecting all the bearings also. That would mean new rod bolts also. Do not give Yamaha or a dealer leeway in this. Demand to be made whole. They will not fix things right till it costs more to ignore the real fix. Rewire with new harness and ecu to duplicate the basic wiring off all the J models.

Back