• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters

Thanks Testmaster. It really does not make sense that all models are affected the same. Should be impossible. Doesn't matter. If not capable of getting that right in any one model it makes whole flash suspect with good reason. This is the third attempt. Looks like there will be a fourth. Maybe they will do it right and send it by mail for Christmas ecu and harness. Otherwise it's probably going to be a Evo flash for me and very good possibility that I will never buy a Yamaha again.

Actually when you break it down to lines of code and someone puts a correction factor on one line that inadvertently gets buried into a software segment that is copied into all of the different software products it is very possible and easier to do, and miss, during inspection and testing than any other method that has been discussed. Because if you miss it once you will most likely miss it every time because it's the same people and process.

This might explain why my XTX LE was doing 105 mph (speedo) with throttle left on my ride after the flash...the LE has 7 tooth drivers and shouldn't be able to see those speeds. I'll have to dig out the GPS.

Last edited:
This might explain why my XTX LE was doing 105 mph (speedo) with throttle left on my ride after the flash...the LE has 7 tooth drivers and shouldn't be able to see those speeds.

The lead tech's brother has a 2016 XTX and I believe it's a LE and his sled is reading 25% slower than before the flash not faster. Check to make sure someone did not change your speedo to Kilometers per hour after they did the flash. I can't see any other way you could be seeing a 107 on your speedometer.

Ive been riding mine in km's and nothing seemed off to me, not really obvious anyways.But maybe it is.I'll check on my next ride.Do the 17's have this flash?

My STX DX doesn't seem off either, however I will check tomorrow via GPS when I go out for a ride.

And to "Allen", my 2015, 141 STX DX has 7 tooth drivers, 21/41 gearing.

The lead tech's brother has a 2016 XTX and I believe it's a LE and his sled is reading 25% slower than before the flash not faster. Check to make sure someone did not change your speedo to Kilometers per hour after they did the flash. I can't see any other way you could be seeing a 107 on your speedometer.

Don't worry I was so suprised I checked twice...saw 104 and 105 on 2 different stretches...my boost guage was also reading a bit hi from what I could see. I bought this sled used so I'm not sure what had been done to it before me...besides a G Force clutch kit and a 1.75 track. I put an Ulmer kit in an 8 dn belt and a osp adjuster and boost and AFR gauges. I just dug my GPS out so I'll compare when I get a chance.

Don't worry I was so suprised I checked twice...saw 104 and 105 on 2 different stretches...my boost guage was also reading a bit hi from what I could see. I bought this sled used so I'm not sure what had been done to it before me...besides a G Force clutch kit and a 1.75 track. I put an Ulmer kit in an 8 dn belt and a osp adjuster and boost and AFR gauges. I just dug my GPS out so I'll compare when I get a chance.

It could have been geared differently by the previous owner but that would indicate you are running 130+ MPH!!!!!

Last 2 days when i cold started my sled I held the key a little longer after it fired and it stayed running. hopefully this works out. these 2 days is wasn't as cold as last week though.

If not anything else this flash will keep the mileage down on the odometer for resale! 25% down.

Allan I know nothing involving Yamaha for sure anymore. Would be best to just look and then test with GPS or known good speedo sled or car for that matter.
I have not done the flash as of yet and don't think I'm going to as I have no problems. I also have a 9 tooth driver with a 2.86" pitch track .

Last edited:
My STX DX doesn't seem off either, however I will check tomorrow via GPS when I go out for a ride.

And to "Allen", my 2015, 141 STX DX has 7 tooth drivers, 21/41 gearing.
your stx dx is total different sled than mine I have a 146 " track. mine has 9 tooth driver and 24/50 gears .

Last edited:

Back