• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Friday 12/2/16

2014 Viper with EVO reflash which I have been running since EVO dyno testing....but purchased another ECU to have when I brought the sled in for service or testing other flashes.

Because this is an issue once again, I feel the need to post now that a couple more are posting with more stock sleds than with sleds with mods like mine is. (ex. airbox mod, full exhaust, etc...)

Friday, rolled the sled out, 42° and fired up perfectly with EVO stage 4 flash, power commander set at all 0's so basically straight from ECU. Sled started up immediately, idles perfectly (no surging) and waited for the low temp to go off. Afr's were 11.5-11.7 (Yes, have video). Just for poops and giggles I started it again after that and boom! Right on the money less than 1 crank.

Took sled hood off and installed my spare ECU which is the previous flash from Yamaha (2015 updated flash). While camera was, I cranked the sled and it kicked back hard, stopping the engine and then started after that. Noticeable surge in idle and did not record afr's as that flash was coming out anyway.... (yes, have video)

Got the sled to TA Motorsports and pulled it in. With the power commander unhooked, the program was downloaded in less than 2-3 minutes and cycling the key a couple laptop prompts. Fired up the sled and it takes a couple more cranks, but started without kickback....but surges just like the 2015 Yamaha flash. (Have video of this also). Hooked up the power commander and the idle is at 11.6-11.8

Yesterday, after talking to Cannondale on the phone, I went back out to start the sled. Temp was 36° and it took 2 trys to start....so that is my poll result.

****Remember, I have a full exhaust and airbox mod.....*****so I along with more people want to see more stock sleds get the recent 2016 flash from Yamaha and post comments and results. I believe the sled starts better than the 2015 flash that was in there because the 2015 kicked back right away. But the surge on my sled with the 2015 and the 2016 is weird and can only think that timing or fuel have been changed.

Afr's really didn't change much....

Stock 2014 XF7000 with a little over 1200 miles.
I have not experienced any problems, or kick backs, in the past. Sled always started fine, first time, hot or cold with both the 2014 and 2015 flash.
2016 flash install a couple weeks ago. Yesterday Temperature was 33 degrees. Cold start, cycled fuel pump until it stopped, engaged starter, fired up instantly.
Hot start 1st attempt, started then died. Then fired up in, what I envision, 2-3 turns of the engine.
Hot start = 200+ degrees due to long on stand running, and short runs to test track alignment.
The next 2 hot starts appeared to be longer crank time that I've been accustomed to. But started first try. Engine was now in the 205-210 degree range due to short runs, extended stand times, and minimal snow cover. Got late so decided to call in a night.
Will try again tonight after more technical adjustments to the track and other miscellaneous things. I have not voted yet. Jury is still out.

Stock 2014 XF7000 with a little over 1200 miles.
I have not experienced any problems, or kick backs, in the past. Sled always started fine, first time, hot or cold with both the 2014 and 2015 flash.

Maybe your throttle bodies are perfect sync....?

There must be something more than the program in ECU that causes poor idle and kickbacks?

Friday 12/2/16

2014 Viper with EVO reflash which I have been running since EVO dyno testing....but purchased another ECU to have when I brought the sled in for service or testing other flashes.

Because this is an issue once again, I feel the need to post now that a couple more are posting with more stock sleds than with sleds with mods like mine is. (ex. airbox mod, full exhaust, etc...)

Friday, rolled the sled out, 42° and fired up perfectly with EVO stage 4 flash, power commander set at all 0's so basically straight from ECU. Sled started up immediately, idles perfectly (no surging) and waited for the low temp to go off. Afr's were 11.5-11.7 (Yes, have video). Just for poops and giggles I started it again after that and boom! Right on the money less than 1 crank.

Took sled hood off and installed my spare ECU which is the previous flash from Yamaha (2015 updated flash). While camera was, I cranked the sled and it kicked back hard, stopping the engine and then started after that. Noticeable surge in idle and did not record afr's as that flash was coming out anyway.... (yes, have video)

Got the sled to TA Motorsports and pulled it in. With the power commander unhooked, the program was downloaded in less than 2-3 minutes and cycling the key a couple laptop prompts. Fired up the sled and it takes a couple more cranks, but started without kickback....but surges just like the 2015 Yamaha flash. (Have video of this also). Hooked up the power commander and the idle is at 11.6-11.8

Yesterday, after talking to Cannondale on the phone, I went back out to start the sled. Temp was 36° and it took 2 trys to start....so that is my poll result.

****Remember, I have a full exhaust and airbox mod.....*****so I along with more people want to see more stock sleds get the recent 2016 flash from Yamaha and post comments and results. I believe the sled starts better than the 2015 flash that was in there because the 2015 kicked back right away. But the surge on my sled with the 2015 and the 2016 is weird and can only think that timing or fuel have been changed.

The fact that yours starts and idles fine with the evo flash tells me it's an ecu programming/tuning issue with the factory stuff. I've never had the kickback issues but had an idle thats rougher than I like. Since I have the PCV with my turbo that can be cleaned up some. So for me getting a smooth idle out of the ecu in exchange for double starts isn't worth it. I would like to do the evo flash though. Need to talk to Ulmer first though and get the right flash for the rest of my setup.

Friday 12/2/16

Thanks for taking one for the Team Terry! Have you tried tuning the surge out with PCV like you did last time before EVO? If that works again then they just won't give us a proper tune at Yamaha! Makes me sick.

For what it's worth, the 2014, 2015, and 2016 flash all surged when cold. 2015 perhaps a little more than the others.
All idle fine when warmed up.
First impression, of the 2016 flash, is moderate surge when cold, then smooths out very nice when warm. Last night my tachometer "danced" between a difference of 50-90rpms tops at 200 degrees. I would hardly call that a surge. I've never been an idle guy if the performance is there. I don't idle much.
With an analog tach, we would barely notice. With the digital tach, I think we stare at it too much. Kind of like the tire pressure monitors on our trucks................................................

How are we defining surge?

I don't think 2 key turns is a bad thing....might actually be a good thing. gets the oil where it needs to be before it is allowed to start.

I agree on the two key turns to get the sled running. I would rather deal with two tries to get the sled running than have a kickback take out another starter. When the starter fails out on a ride you can turn that key all day and it's not starting! Wish that flash were available in the US, I wouldn't give it a second thought..

Thanks for taking one for the Team Terry! Have you tried tuning the surge out with PCV like you did last time before EVO? If that works again then they just won't give us a proper tune at Yamaha! Makes me sick.

You betcha bud!!!

I will be doing some PCv fuel adjustments to see if I can get the surge out.

For what it's worth, the 2014, 2015, and 2016 flash all surged when cold. 2015 perhaps a little more than the others.
All idle fine when warmed up.
First impression, of the 2016 flash, is moderate surge when cold, then smooths out very nice when warm. Last night my tachometer "danced" between a difference of 50-90rpms tops at 200 degrees. I would hardly call that a surge. I've never been an idle guy if the performance is there. I don't idle much.
With an analog tach, we would barely notice. With the digital tach, I think we stare at it too much. Kind of like the tire pressure monitors on our trucks................................................

How are we defining surge?

My 14 never surged until I had the updated 2015 flash done....then back-fired/popped so bad I couldn't even back it out of the trailer.

Evo's flash does not surge....I have that ECU and fires right up, no hesitation.

Sounds like a blower car idling.....but much faster

...Evo's flash does not surge....I have that ECU and fires right up, no hesitation.
Sounds like a blower car idling.....but much faster
Oh stop it!;)Keep that up and I may Need one too.:sled1:

If there it's an ECU programming issues in 2015 flash. Why it's not a problem with idle and kickbacks for everyone?

Back