• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Any difference in RPM's or power.
Yes I do recommend the reflash Cannondale27, and here is the reason beyond the no kick and idle.

My wife's sled has always had a lighter front end than my SE and usually carries the skies just off the snow. Since the reflash her sled now carries them 3-4 inches above the snow under hard acceleration and although it's been months since riding it I would estimate that the acceleration has improved by the seat of the pants. Not very scientific, but...
My sled has never lifted the skies, they get very light but wont lift them. Now with good traction they just clear the snow during hard acceleration. One difference is that with clutching from Allen Ulmer I have not had an issue with hitting the rev limiter. On my first blast during a short ride by myself I was banging off of the rev limiter like an AR-15 with a kid at the range! I've not tried to recreate that performance so I say that with caution, I don't ride that way when out with a group on an extended ride so I'll get a ride in over the next day or so and try it a few more times. we have over 20 inches of snow but it's mostly lake effect so were just packing the base now. I was watching the Tachometer as I was hitting the limiter and I was hitting 9200-9300 RPM.

We took both Vipers out for the first ride since the reflash today. Both sleds start much better than before the flash, take two tries to start on the first cold start of the day without letting the fuel pumps cycle. No kickback on either sled and it's amazing how similar that they crank and the time they crank prior to starting is near identical. This is definitely a first I almost all accounts! The only thing they had in common prior to the reflash was that they both kickback! Idle hunts a bit in both sleds and both Vipers have a 10-20 RPM variance with a 30 RPM variance thrown in from time to time. Total miles today 57 each!

So has the new flash officially been released in the US ?

Bought my non current 2016 in April and but 0 miles on and maybe only started it 2-3 times before my dealer called me mid november to get the flash. never noticed any starting issue the 2-3 times i started it, now that i have the flash starting cold it will fire once then stall, second attempt starts fine.

Hey Quipper! I'm from Sudbury as well and just picked up a non current 2016. Not sure what flash its got but I have to try starting it once let go of the key then try starting it again and it will start. Hopefully they place themselves after its been broken in!

Hey Quipper! I'm from Sudbury as well and just picked up a non current 2016. Not sure what flash its got but I have to try starting it once let go of the key then try starting it again and it will start. Hopefully they place themselves after its been broken in!
chances are if your just picked it up they would have done the new flash on it, did you get it from mid north, or R.L. equipment?

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

I have very good news to report on the flash update. My 2014 LTX on its 3rd starter and horrible cold starting was a real test. My 2015 LTX started fine. Here is my take so far. Battery always on tender and on same gas. Stock sled with no changes.

After flash update in temps mid 20's both sled would in most cases require two cranks to start.

Temps yesterday at 10 degrees. Both sleds started on first try cold. I did cycle the sleds before starting. I was happy especially on my 14.

This morning at -12 below. Cold start and cycled first. Both sleds started on first try.

I have had no kickbacks, and the run and idle smoother. Oddly they seem to fire better in colder weather then when temps were in 20's. So far I'm very happy with the update.

That is good news. Maybe this is going to prove livable after all. Glad your happy. Sure leaning toward taking the plunge myself.

So far very happy, I'm hoping but some reported after flash it didn't start in cold weather at -6. So I needed to test this am at -12 and both passed. My 2014 is definitely starting better so far.

Yes I do recommend the reflash Cannondale27, and here is the reason beyond the no kick and idle.

My wife's sled has always had a lighter front end than my SE and usually carries the skies just off the snow. Since the reflash her sled now carries them 3-4 inches above the snow under hard acceleration and although it's been months since riding it I would estimate that the acceleration has improved by the seat of the pants. Not very scientific, but...
My sled has never lifted the skies, they get very light but wont lift them. Now with good traction they just clear the snow during hard acceleration. One difference is that with clutching from Allen Ulmer I have not had an issue with hitting the rev limiter. On my first blast during a short ride by myself I was banging off of the rev limiter like an AR-15 with a kid at the range! I've not tried to recreate that performance so I say that with caution, I don't ride that way when out with a group on an extended ride so I'll get a ride in over the next day or so and try it a few more times. we have over 20 inches of snow but it's mostly lake effect so were just packing the base now. I was watching the Tachometer as I was hitting the limiter and I was hitting 9200-9300 RPM.

Funny your saying this I noticed the same thing with my RTX the front end lifted a couple times. I haven't had that since my Apex !

Funny your saying this I noticed the same thing with my RTX the front end lifted a couple times. I haven't had that since my Apex !

Well we now have about 170 riding miles after the reflash. Our riding area is starting to develop a base that is providing decent traction in many areas. I reported that I was banging the rev limiter pretty hard but now that a base is setting up I now seldom hit the rev limiter but I am now starting to lift the ski's when traction is available. Actually got a about 3-4 inches of lift a couple of times today on a brief 40 mile ride. That's a first on my sled. And yes my wife's is still better at lifting ski's than mine but I'm hPpy with the improvement, loving it!

It sure is good to hear that someone else has seen a similar result. One interesting thing in my area, almost as many Sidewinders out and about this weekend as Vipers. Everyone I talk to is excited about their performance!

Last edited:
My sled idles better now. Ya it takes 2 times to start when cold, but well worth it IMO.

My sled sometimes takes 2 attempts to start cold, sometimes 1 attempt. Hot it still has hot start issue where it just cranks, spudder, crank, spudder...could go on all day. I just have to start it like before and not let it think. And once hot, sometimes it idles "smooth" or sometimes (like today) it hunts/surges quite a bit at idle

Only thing is has fixed on my sled so far is no kick back.

My sled sometimes takes 2 attempts to start cold, sometimes 1 attempt. Hot it still has hot start issue where it just cranks, spudder, crank, spudder...could go on all day. I just have to start it like before and not let it think. And once hot, sometimes it idles "smooth" or sometimes (like today) it hunts/surges quite a bit at idle

Only thing is has fixed on my sled so far is no kick back.

Take it back to the dealer, you could have bad gas or perhaps they need to reflash!

That is definitely not typical!

Back