• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Came across a guy (group of 6 apex’s) in Rouyn-Noranda it was a steady -35 to -40 C he was the only one with a magnetic block heater that he grabbed from princess auto. His was the only one to fire. I stripped both beds and grabbed the hair dryer took an hr before I could leave the hotel. Very embarrassing My viper had like 450 km on it. Haven’t been in a situation like this since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plan on bringing my heater buddy and sled cover. we may even leave them in the trailer overnight just so it will be easier to heat them. New flash. Brand new batteries praying they work

It "May" fix the starting issues but some require two attempts. Big Deal. It prevents kickbacks and therefore I am recommending getting it done. MtCooler my riding buddy got it done yesterday and I did it at end of season last year. Mine has still started in 1 try everytime as has his so far. Niether of us let pump cycle. We get on sled and turn key till its running. Has always started within a 3 count. His is all stock. For Yamaha this is the latest Flash Bulletin:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XOvBJem2mebvoObQf3khLodhglqCrw_Q
I just read that bulletin am i reading that right my 2015 xtx se is not affected or is that just for the second set of flashs

I have the Evo flash and ride all last weekend. Consistent 0 to below zero temps started with no issues. I do have 550cc injectors which may help

NewYears in UP was cold. Believe -15f at night. First and majority of starts whole day it did take two tries on mine. I asked her what is going on in your little head but got no reply. Just guessing it’s temp related because in cold the afr’s were very rich. 12 or richer whole day. Still got better than Doo 850 though.

Was out yesterday with my 14’ most recent flash and a 16’. Both were second attempts each time. They ran great tho consistent idle.

My buddy who has the 16’ has only 100km on it. It was odd he went to fire it got one good crank and the battery voltage fell off. Not sure what caused the draw to happen. Put a quick charge on it and it fired up and was fine rest of day??

Was out yesterday with my 14’ most recent flash and a 16’. Both were second attempts each time. They ran great tho consistent idle.

My buddy who has the 16’ has only 100km on it. It was odd he went to fire it got one good crank and the battery voltage fell off. Not sure what caused the draw to happen. Put a quick charge on it and it fired up and was fine rest of day??

Sorry it was -16 C

Sorry it was -16 C

Yup I can see how it would prevent a kickback though. So now my starting procedure is check brake,crank key for 3count or running fully if doesn’t go by 3 count I stop cranking and crank again. Fired every time at that point and none of my buddies even said anything so it’s not a big deal and the protection from kickback gives me warm fuzzy feeling. Still glad I did latest flash.

3 count is key. No issue today moving it. Solid negative 10C started first attempt. Heading just west of Georgian bay tomorrow for a good loop. Two etecs and a switch back. Prolly in the 330km range. Will report back. Supposedly going to be really cold [emoji1360] and lots of snow

Not sure if it makes a difference. But I always turn key on and wait a few seconds before starting. Even when warm. Habit I have from my diesel I guess.... I have not had 1 kickback since reflashed. I run rich with those big injectors though. Usually 10.5 - 12 normal driving and 9.5 - 11 wot.

Not sure if it makes a difference. But I always turn key on and wait a few seconds before starting. Even when warm. Habit I have from my diesel I guess.... I have not had 1 kickback since reflashed. I run rich with those big injectors though. Usually 10.5 - 12 normal driving and 9.5 - 11 wot.
I never had a kickback either but I always have just got on and cranked it over. No wait for cycling. We have for sure found variances from sled to sled though. Many start better with a cycle or even 3!

Cannondale, what did you end up setting your idle afr at? I'm currently at 12.2 and wondering if I should drop it to 11.

Cheers

Does the new flash raise the limiter any?

So far with the new flash we have been seeing 1 attempt to get it started during first start of the day. Very minimal use this season so far and no temps below 10F. I had a couple of times where it took two attempts to get it running but that was during the off season doing some work on it. Idle doesn't seem quite as smooth as the original 14' flash. So far though, I'm happy with it. No hot start issues or kickback so far.
Lost the starter last season. It never was a real problem child during starts, however it would have an occasional hot start hiccup where I'd crack the throttle if it didn't seem to want to go on the first hot start with a P code. I had no plans to reflash until eventually it had a couple of kickbacks and the starter was toast over a weekend. I'd advocate the reflash now to anyone after seeing how quick it can go downhill and lose a starter even after years of acceptable behavior.

Back