• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters

Kkurz - I guess the two-start is an annoyance. I'll live with it if it does prevent a kickback, but I never experienced the kickback the first two seasons. Actually, on the topic of the top end speed, I am actually not sure as I haven't had the sled on hardpack, like a lake, but pinned for a solid 5 seconds over a field Sunday only got me 88. Don't know why I even said anything, I'm turning 52 next week and 88 really should be fast enough. Besides, it's GETTING to 88 where all the smiles are.

Still waiting for my sled to be repaired from the backfire over a month ago. In that time it appears another issue is being identified by owners. At what point does this audience feel it impacts their "brand" image for products produced?

Still waiting for my sled to be repaired from the backfire over a month ago. In that time it appears another issue is being identified by owners. At what point does this audience feel it impacts their "brand" image for products produced?
I am a glass half full type of guy but this issue really make me feel YAMAHA doesnt give a #*$&@ about snowmobiles. Very depressing.

I am a glass half full type of guy but this issue really make me feel YAMAHA doesnt give a #*$&@ about snowmobiles. Very depressing.
Totally agree. I asked since it is making me second guess my outboard and any other YAMAHA equipment in the future....

It’s not even the issue itself. It’s the ethics behind it and other things they have done last 5 years. On positive note there has been big changes company wise so there is hope.

I never did either flash on my 15xtx and have never had a kickback or hot start issue and have always turned key until start. I was worried about not having it done but the more I read about people’s new flash’s the more comfortable I get with my decision

I never did either flash on my 15xtx and have never had a kickback or hot start issue and have always turned key until start. I was worried about not having it done but the more I read about people’s new flash’s the more comfortable I get with my decision
Smart... I was told I would lose my warranty if I did not get it. Funny thing is the flash caused me to use to use the warranty.

I still am glad I did latest flash since it definitely changed the cranking for better. Now if they could just take the good parts of every flash and put it in a decent ecu we might have something.

I’m a long way from thinking it was smart I only have4500 on the sled at this point so time and more miles and we will see

Everyone should look at the Poll and if necessary change your votes since more options have been added. Like to think Yamaha looks at this but we wont ever know for sure.

Don't bring your sled into the dealer for anything, because they will do the flash. mine had the 15 flash and ran great,no kickback and started great, brought it in for warranty work and told them not to flash it, but could tell immediately when i tried to start it that they did! I was MAD!

Last edited:
Can’t for the life of me understand why in the HELL Yamaha continues to put there customers in these situations with there GARBAGE ecu updates.

cannodale27 is absolutely right!!!!!
YAMAHA doesn’t give a #*$&@!!!!

Last weekend I got to check out the new Wildcat XX. It has the Yamaha motor basicly same as Viper,YXZ and Sidewinder. First thing I noticed was it’s terrible lopy idle. No where near as smooth as a YXZ or Sidewinder. Second thing I noticed was same Chinese Continental Ecu our Vipers have. So either Cat can’t program decent or the ECU just is junk. Maybe both. Yamaha needs to step up and replace all our ecu’s with Mitsubishi programmed by them and wiring to match.

Back