• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
For all of you going to the dealer for the latest flash and had backfires recently,
CHECK YOUR MUFFLERS... if factory they are likely damaged.
Especially the backside, it cracks almost 100% of the time.
Look up my previous posts.
Thanks for heads up !
I have had muffler off for maintenance it WAS fine ! I wouldn't think this one time did anything, sure hope not , noise sounded like some two strokes in the past in beginning of season where not so fresh gas etc ! Man I can't WIN haven't even rode it yet and MAY have to go back to dealer for this NEW Flash !:(:(:(:confused::confused::o|:o|:o|

Thanks for heads up !
I have had muffler off for maintenance it WAS fine ! I wouldn't think this one time did anything, sure hope not , noise sounded like some two strokes in the past in beginning of season where not so fresh gas etc ! Man I can't WIN haven't even rode it yet and MAY have to go back to dealer for this NEW Flash !:(:(:(:confused::confused::o|:o|:o|
It’s not all bad!!!!
Had 8000 miles of pure smiles,and fun having skidoo’s chase me all around Quebec.
The motor is freaking addicting.
But also had to deal with the WTF is this #*$&@ for 8000 miles.
Seen every bad characteristic of the viper unfortunately.

Yep had reflash yesterday ,New England Cycle Center in Hartford Ct.Yamaha dealer ! Glad it's done eee ! This dealer no charge other Dealer said they probably would have to charge me a half hours time !
I have only started this sled on trailer and on stand in garage ! It SEEMS To start quicker but that could be illusion !
Other dealer going to charge half an hour he is double dipping cause yamaha pays him for this

I had my 2014 Viper RTX reflashed this morning with the latest update. This sled has always run flawlessly from the time I got it 2 years ago once it was warmed up. However; when starting cold after the 2016 flash, it would let out a heart stopping backfire occasionally and would be very hard to start below about -15C. After it started from cold, the engine sounded very labored and idle rpm would continuously vary. (engine hot and cold). Most times when starting at operating temp, it would take 2 attempts to get it running.
I have not had it out on the snow since this mornings reflash but have these observations. It cranked several times at -18C (O f) and started without an issue. It idled well cold and rpm's only varied by 10 between 1490 and 1500. I let it warm up on the trailer until the fan ran and then shut it off. The fan now runs quite a bit longer after the engine is shut off than before the latest flash but that's not an issue at all. I started it and shut it off (engine warm) several times at the dealer with single start on the key every time. I then took it home and the engine was cold again when I got there. I went through the start and warmup process again and it performed flawlessly. I then tried restarting it warm several times (warm) and it started first time every time. This would not have been the case before the reflash. One other thing I noticed is when I increase the throttle to just below clutch engagement rpms and then quickly release it, the engine slowly returns to idle speed whereas before it would drop very quickly to idle speed. (not an issue; just an observation)
Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out and look forward to getting it out on the snow. Hopefully it still performs well. If this problem has actually been solved, I may go and buy a new one someday as I really like these sleds. If this flash turns out to be a dud, I am going to change teams. 5 years is long enough to wait for a solution.

Last edited:
Got mine done today , Drove 5 hours one way to get it done... Long day, just got home about hour ago, and left at 7:30am this morning...

Got mine done today , Drove 5 hours one way to get it done... Long day, just got home about hour ago, and left at 7:30am this morning...
Put 100 miles on since ECU Flash update .... No issues to report .

So, is anyone noticing any more power? Having to change clutching or getting another few mph out of it?

I would take mine in tomorrow if someone got another 3 mph from it. Mine has always started pretty good, except for flash number 1 in 2014.

I had the flash done on my '16 yesterday. I rode 107 miles today and it's great! Starts and idles like my Nytro did. It seems like the entire powerband from start to full throttle has been "cleaned-up" for lack of a better term. Maybe Textron brought some better engineers in because whatever they did it's a big improvement.

I’ve read in another posting somewhere that the rpm limit was raised 100rpm. Can anyone confirm this that has had the flash done? If people are noticing better starting, idle and the entire rpm range seems smoother, I will probably take mine to get done.

I’ve read in another posting somewhere that the rpm limit was raised 100rpm. Can anyone confirm this that has had the flash done? If people are noticing better starting, idle and the entire rpm range seems smoother, I will probably take mine to get done.
I believe ulmers post said 50rpm.

I had my 2014 Viper RTX reflashed this morning with the latest update. This sled has always run flawlessly from the time I got it 2 years ago once it was warmed up. However; when starting cold after the 2016 flash, it would let out a heart stopping backfire occasionally and would be very hard to start below about -15C. After it started from cold, the engine sounded very labored and idle rpm would continuously vary. (engine hot and cold). Most times when starting at operating temp, it would take 2 attempts to get it running.
I have not had it out on the snow since this mornings reflash but have these observations. It cranked several times at -18C (O f) and started without an issue. It idled well cold and rpm's only varied by 10 between 1490 and 1500. I let it warm up on the trailer until the fan ran and then shut it off. The fan now runs quite a bit longer after the engine is shut off than before the latest flash but that's not an issue at all. I started it and shut it off (engine warm) several times at the dealer with single start on the key every time. I then took it home and the engine was cold again when I got there. I went through the start and warmup process again and it performed flawlessly. I then tried restarting it warm several times (warm) and it started first time every time. This would not have been the case before the reflash. One other thing I noticed is when I increase the throttle to just below clutch engagement rpms and then quickly release it, the engine slowly returns to idle speed whereas before it would drop very quickly to idle speed. (not an issue; just an observation)
Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out and look forward to getting it out on the snow. Hopefully it still performs well. If this problem has actually been solved, I may go and buy a new one someday as I really like these sleds. If this flash turns out to be a dud, I am going to change teams. 5 years is long enough to wait for a solution.

Bringing mine tonight. Hopefully I get the same result!

screenshot-22-png.144370

Back