• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tech Contest:Installing A-Arm Bushings

Irv said:
stephenpen said:
How much more work is this with an MPI supercharger kit installed. I checked mine and they are shot.

How many miles Stephen?

My 08 Vector has 4,800 km's and I am just waiting for my Ulmer's kit to come in.
I haven't really checked to see if mine are bad but figured I'd do some preventative mtce as it is just a matter or time.

Picked them up today from the PO.

Going to follow 06's DIY so hopefully everything goes smoothly?
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I want to make a requet to Alan Ulmer. Can you design a small stamping that will fit between the a-arm bolts and the bulkhead, that will lock the bolts in place to prevent rotation during suspension travel? As it stands today, the a-arms grab and rotate the bolts in the bulkhead, and this creates wear in the thinner bulkhead bushings. (the a-arms are a fabricated tubular assembly and are not line bored like the bulkhead, hence they grab the bolts (bind) and transfer rotational forces away from the more robust a-arm bushings into the thinner bulkhead)

This is a must have and is also relatively simple to produce with a few shop tools and machines.

Any help?

if the main bolts are free to rotate in the bulkhead, they will blow away the thin stock bushings and egg shape the bulkhead holes. the oillite replacement bushings help because they last longer, but this is no way to correct a design flaw. the a-arms have plenty of freedom to rotate without needing the main bolts to turn.

Essarex said:
if the main bolts are free to rotate in the bulkhead, they will blow away the thin stock bushings and egg shape the bulkhead holes. the oillite replacement bushings help because they last longer, but this is no way to correct a design flaw. the a-arms have plenty of freedom to rotate without needing the main bolts to turn.

I have some ready to install but would like to know more before I do.

Is there any current way of installing them and making sure they don't rotate?
I know I am not the only one who has purchased these, what did other's do and if nothing, how are they holding up?

I havent done anything to stop the bolts from turning when i installed my bushings. Still tight after 3+ years and 6000 miles or so!

JROCK said:
I havent done anything to stop the bolts from turning when i installed my bushings. Still tight after 3+ years and 6000 miles or so!

Good to know, thanks ;)!

Got my kit from ulmer today.Very high quality.The installation drawing showed how to use the long a-arm bolt to push the plastic bulkhead bushing out while installing the new one at the same time.Anybody use this method?

drill small hole in the head of the bolt on the top and the bottom and run stiff wire threw the holes to gether and they willn't turn. saves bulk head bushings. first rx1 had a plate between both with tabs to bend over to stop the bolts from turning.

i got the yamaha/mpi kit and was wondering how you get the bushings in the rear (closest to the motor) bulk head bushing in? i have had to hammer all the other ones in and there is not enough space to do so on my warrior... do i put them in from the front?

yamaha1973 said:
i got the yamaha/mpi kit and was wondering how you get the bushings in the rear (closest to the motor) bulk head bushing in? i have had to hammer all the other ones in and there is not enough space to do so on my warrior... do i put them in from the front?

If you look at the instructions, you can put those one's in from the front. I also used cleaned engine oil when installing mine, mad it a tad easier to get them in.

Back