• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tired Of Sloppy Steering At Plastic Bushing And Steel Collar

Hey Karl I would but testing for durability is a must. lets just say it has to do with Bushings. I will know more in 2 months of testing and hint there on the Nytro model too.

I can't wait, it is sure to be an improvement - don't wait till the season is over to release it to the rest of us. :-o

Anybody take there sled for a ride to see the difference in the Steering. Between the Bushing Kit and the R&D Bushing project along with the Steering Block from OFT Racing you can actually turn the handlebar and see the skis follow and not do the boat thing. Let me know

The perfect melding of the best parts available eh?!

up%20steering.jpg
Phzr4.JPG

I guess I should have asked first, but I busted out the Maxima grease I use on my moto bike and gave them a healthy coat!

I do have to say, removing the front frame is a PITA but it is neat to see how this beast is put together!

Yeah mine is apart right now to put in all the new bushing and change the oil/filter and other maintenance. I didn't think it was that hard to take apart. Hopefully my shocks come back soon though so I can have the sled ready for a Christmas ride.

halfasled.jpg

Hi Motoman!

No, it isn't that difficult... but there isn't an un-obstructed bolt on this darn machine! It would be nice if you didn't have to unbolt the radiator and oil tank.

I also wanted to say thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback on your suspension and referring me to Ian at Monster... He was great to deal with! My shocks should be back tomorrow and I'm looking forward to being able to pound the Phazer with my fat arse on board and not bottom out so hard!

--Tom

Hey Motoman765 just install them as is no grease needed. One thing as far as bushings or pivot points on sleds is the lack of full rotation at high speeds and high tepmerature for wear to take place. Most of the pivot points only move 30 degrees or so like A Arms, Steering Assembly, Rear Skid Arms and some just take a pounding so Product Material is key.

Got all my new bushing in now (oilites in the a-arms, OFT on the steering stem, UP bushmans in the linkage, some custom grinding on various other parts) and my shocks back from Monster to put the sled all together for a Christmas ride if the weather now cooperates. Doesn't look good, but I'm hoping things will hold out. Wish we would have gotten the snow they got out on the east coast.

Though one point as to why I'm adding this to the post is one other item for you guys to watch out for, to keep your steering nice and tight. After I got all this put back together I noticed that my skis were still wobbly though it was not in the steering. I did some digging and found that the bushing and collars that are on the bottom of the spindles were totally shot. Luckily I found that for all four bushing and the two collars it's only little over $20. I ordered new ones for mine and will let you guys know how the replacement goes. Though they won't be in till after Christmas. I assume they will press out and in the same as the bushing in the a-arms. This thing should handle like non other after all this.

Motoman765 said:
I did some digging and found that the bushing and collars that are on the bottom of the spindles were totally shot. Luckily I found that for all four bushing and the two collars it's only little over $20. I ordered new ones for mine and will let you guys know how the replacement goes.

Oh no, another set of bushings to worry about! So did you have to get new ones from Yamaha or are they available aftermarket? BTW, exactly where are they located? Any chance of a picture?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Back