• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper mess free oil drain

Long time lurker, first time poster. You have an amazing site here! Thanks Admins for keeping it such an informative and professional site. I'm so happy with my most recent purchase and the community support that addresses all our question, concerns and issues.

Just bought a 2015 LTX SE in late FEB and did my first oil change with 600 miles on it. All I can say is what a mess! I look forward to this kit and will be keeping my eye out. One extra word of warning if not already covered, check the old oil gasket comes off with the filter. The factory had that filter cranked on so tight I had a bear of a time getting it off! If the normal mess wasn't enough, I had oil spray everywhere after about 3 minutes of idle when the gasket finally blew. I know, I was also amazed at what a bone head I was. Spent far more time cleaning everything up than I did doing the actual work. Wasted nearly a quart of oil all said and done. Would have been worse if I wasn't paying attention.

Great to have you on the site!! Welcome!

Good idea TD!

Now all we need to do is figure out where to tap a drain plug in the case case...

I will buy one!!!!!great idea

I have some nice Tigon hose coming so I can hopefully finish my development work soon and figure out how I want to route the hose. The way it stands now I can reach around the toe kick to open the valve so draining the oil tank should be a completely tool less job.

As for the chain case it would be nice to have a drain, but I think a guy really should have a boss cast into it to accept a nice plug.

I have some nice Tigon hose coming so I can hopefully finish my development work soon and figure out how I want to route the hose. The way it stands now I can reach around the toe kick to open the valve so draining the oil tank should be a completely tool less job.

As for the chain case it would be nice to have a drain, but I think a guy really should have a boss cast into it to accept a nice plug.

Its all good... some people may like the reach around :) LOL

Cummins diesel sell something similar to put on trucks to do same thing. If that's where u got it from

I run these on all of my Dmax trucks as well. This is a product line that I carry for my day job and I'm working on adapting to the Viper. The Viper oil tank is a VERY poor design it terms of draining and access etc. It would be so simple to correct the casting, but I seriously doubt they ever will hence the need to make a custom adapter and work out the indexing so that it "clocks" to the correct position.

TD I would think most of us would install this valve at same time the tank/cover is off for chaincase inspection. So with it off would it be easy to remove the oil tube? Is that the tube with screen on it? If so maybe no redesign is needed just remove drain bolt and tube then install valve. Another plus for this valve is I don't like the rubber o ring the stock drain has. Since its pinched you don't get a good torque out of it. Bronze washer like Yamaha uses elsewhere provides better feel for torque.

TD I would think most of us would install this valve at same time the tank/cover is off for chaincase inspection. So with it off would it be easy to remove the oil tube? Is that the tube with screen on it? If so maybe no redesign is needed just remove drain bolt and tube then install valve. Another plus for this valve is I don't like the rubber o ring the stock drain has. Since its pinched you don't get a good torque out of it. Bronze washer like Yamaha uses elsewhere provides better feel for torque.

The interference issue is with the smaller steel line that is pressed into the tank.

Getting closer to fruition. Mine is going back together like it is, but the perfectionist in me wants to make some minor dimensional changes . It would be REALLY handy if someone had an oil tank that they could lend for the project. In hindsight maybe that's what I should have done from day one is remove mine and do the fitment offboard.

With this setup the outlet can be faced so that the drain hose routes forward to the oil filter area or it could be switched and run rearward as it will swivel then lock down.

IMG_4628.JPG

Last edited:
OK final round prototype is installed. Allen Ulmer has installed his and given his approval. Production units in process and Allen should have product well before snow flies. Trying to get him product for Hay Days at this point. Target sale price is $49.95.

Pic with toe kick removed:

IMG_4706.JPG

With the toe kick installed:

IMG_4701.JPG

Looks great TD! How does it work? Is there a knob you turn to open flow? Where does the hose go to?

If you look closely at the underside of the valve you will see the end of a black lever. This lever operates a 1/4 turn ball valve and is held closed in a detent by a spring. I positioned the valve this way so that it is protected and still has good access. It is accessible with your left hand reaching between the toe kick and the chaincase

I like it, when are you thinking some might be ready??

heck might be a nice idea for apex so you dont have to remove lower side panel.

Back