• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are the best shocks for winder?

Qs3r Kashima are 5/8" shafts(17/18 LE models)

While the Qs3(no rebound/no Kashima) are 1/2" shafts.

Dan

I once thought this too Dan but unfortunately our center shock on our LE's is indeed 1/2" shaft but still an incredible shock especially after installing the dsc. I have same sled.

Rob

True, the Center is not actually a Qs3'r' is does not have rebound on Center, and is 1/2" shaft. But the Qs3r in front and rear are the big 5/8" shafts where as the Qs3 non kashima are 1/2''.

Qs3 are still a great shock for sure, but the real LE shocks we had in 17/18 model yrs were the top dog. I will miss them!

Also the 19/20 sleds now just all come with a basic shock in Center location. Right now there is only one sled I know of that still comes with the top dog shocks, and that is the RR Cats. I really like the new 800 Cat RR.

Dan

I have a Sidewinder XTX 141 and went with Custom Axis for my skid shock replacing the float, bought from HyGear they had my weight, the sled AND BUILT ME A SHOCK. well first ride out the shock was harsh so i kept adjusting until i was as soft as i could make it and it did improve some on small bumps anything larger it would bottom. Stiffen it up and it is harsh again on 6" studder bumps. It has rebound and comp dampening but there is no adjustability because the base is just way too stiff.. call hygear and they want to keep telling me how to adjust the shock after explaining i have spent way too much time adjusting instead of riding. I suggested different valving but they were too busy to do it in the middle of the season so i finished out the season on suspension that was no better than my original Float shock after spending a lot of money and actually rode worse than the float. I also have the same sled in the Viper model, XTX 141 that GF rides. on that i put QS3's on the front the same HyGear pro linkage as on my Sidewinder on the rear only the viper still has the Float with dual presure. the Improvement was so good with the QS3's that the viper rides very well, even with the float under the rear. Like clutchmaster said for the money and the base set up its hard to beat the Fox QS3. I wish i went that route, now i am pissed with a Axis that works like #*$&@. I spent a good amount of money at HyGear and when i needed something done i got the too busy cold shoulder. I cant just drive out of my garage to test my suspension then make adjustments, it has to be done on planned trips that i am towing hundred's of miles to ride. then you cant get service from the shock builder until maybe summer when the season is over then wait to see if its right again when the snow fly's? take it from someone who made the mistake and paid for a custom shock and got beat up all season because it was not right... STICK WITH WHATS BEEN PROVEN... FOX QS3's

I am sure that the Axis is a quality shock, and it's too bad that it wasn't set up right the first time. I set up my XTX Viper with QS3's for the rear skid, and now my Sidewinder for the front, and I have not been disappointed. They could be re-valved or adjusted to my weight etc., but I have been so happy with them the way they came out of the box, that I haven't even thought about that.

Very pleased with the performance of my stock Qs3r's

True, the Center is not actually a Qs3'r' is does not have rebound on Center, and is 1/2" shaft. But the Qs3r in front and rear are the big 5/8" shafts where as the Qs3 non kashima are 1/2''.

Qs3 are still a great shock for sure, but the real LE shocks we had in 17/18 model yrs were the top dog. I will miss them!

Also the 19/20 sleds now just all come with a basic shock in Center location. Right now there is only one sled I know of that still comes with the top dog shocks, and that is the RR Cats. I really like the new 800 Cat RR.

Dan

My qs3r kashima center shock is 1/2" shaft and no rebound thats all i was saying. 2018 rtx LE 50th. Maybe the center is not technically an "R" even though its a qs3 kashima piggyback.

Dan

Actually the Best shocks ever used on this rear skid were the 2015 viper LE shocks. Zero Pro 1.5” C front shock, 2.0” RC rear shock very similar to the Tucker Hibbert shocks I listed from Carver performance. They are currently cheaper than the QS3’s I’ve found but are basically the same shock with a lot more adjustability.

Everybody knows Tucker is Top Dog! Lol

Actually the Best shocks ever used on this rear skid were the 2015 viper LE shocks. Zero Pro 1.5” C front shock, 2.0” RC rear shock very similar to the Tucker Hibbert shocks I listed from Carver performance. They are currently cheaper than the QS3’s I’ve found but are basically the same shock with a lot more adjustability.

Everybody knows Tucker is Top Dog! Lol
Different skid though.

2017 Sidewinder RTX LE didn’t have the RR skid?

This is still a sore spot with a lot of us who ordered either the 2017 RTX LE or LTX LE.

The answer to your question ClutchMaster is NO, it did not come with the RR skid.

In the pre-season early order specs Yamaha clearly stated that these models would come with the RR skid, but the production models DID NOT have the RR skid.

Here's a link to an old thread on this fiasco........https://ty4stroke.com/threads/rear-supension-on-ltx-le.144347/#post-1315390

That whole fiasco still chaps my hide.

Getting back to the OP's question on what are the best shocks for the SideWinder....my 2 cents:

I've got a 2017 LTX-LE with Custom Axis shocks all the way around and a 2018 LTX-LE with the Fox QS-3r's/Kashima coated as was delivered from the factory.

2019-02-17-13h56m34_Feb-UP_phone_475.jpg
UP-bday-trip-resize_2018-03-08-13h34m15_phone_058.jpg

I like the ride on both sleds, but the Custom Axis with the added fine tuning capabilities just give that sled the advantage along with having the shocks come custom valved and sprung for my weight/riding style.

IMHO the Fox QS-3r's with Kashima coating are the cat's meow when it comes to OEM shocks. With a DSC added to replace the stock 3 position switch you've got just about all the adjustability that you'd ever need to fine tune them.

I don't want to contribute to having this thread turn into a sh_t show as far as who makes the best shocks so I'm simply going to leave it at that.

If anyone would have any questions on my experience with the Custom Axis shocks feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited:
This is still a sore spot with a lot of us who ordered either the 2017 RTX LE or LTX LE.

The answer to your question ClutchMaster is NO, it did not come with the RR skid.

In the pre-season early order specs Yamaha clearly stated that these models would come with the RR skid, but the production models DID NOT have the RR skid.

Here's a link to an old thread on this fiasco........https://ty4stroke.com/threads/rear-supension-on-ltx-le.144347/#post-1315390

That whole thing still chaps my hide.

Oh that sucks! I thought they did. I guess that’s one reason to love my old turbo’ed Viper LE!
Better Skid and Shocks!
Think I’ll keep the old girl.

This is something I've debated doing to my LTX SE. Upgrading to the Fox qs3r shocks. The rear skid on my sled has very little adjustment but honestly from someone who's got a bad back and 2 surgeries I must say my Sidewinder rides very nice. I'm not nearly as sore and lame after a days ride compared to my 2011 Apex SE. Which I've modded with a WRP seat to help with my riding position. I have the Fox SE shocks in front but honestly have never made any trail side adjustments. So honestly how much difference in ride quality is there if I were to upgrade to the Fox QS3R shocks. And with the cost of them if I were to upgrade what would be the best benefit in ride quality for my LTX SE do the front qs3s or do the rear qs3 and I've upgraded the front shock spring already is it wise to upgrade the front shock to the qs3 also? I've never had the chance to try out a LE model 4 of my buddies have Sidewinders 2 LTX SE and 2 LTX DX models. I plan on keeping this sled for a while and currently love the ride and power but like power I'm at the 280 level with TD Max Spool 17 improving my ride quality is my next mod. I have 3600 miles now with only the oil tank seal leak which was fixed at 500 mile service and 1 blown belt which was mostly my fault so this sled for me has been bulletproof so far for me. So help me make my next mod be well worth the money. Thanks

This is something I've debated doing to my LTX SE. Upgrading to the Fox qs3r shocks. The rear skid on my sled has very little adjustment but honestly from someone who's got a bad back and 2 surgeries I must say my Sidewinder rides very nice. I'm not nearly as sore and lame after a days ride compared to my 2011 Apex SE. Which I've modded with a WRP seat to help with my riding position. I have the Fox SE shocks in front but honestly have never made any trail side adjustments. So honestly how much difference in ride quality is there if I were to upgrade to the Fox QS3R shocks. And with the cost of them if I were to upgrade what would be the best benefit in ride quality for my LTX SE do the front qs3s or do the rear qs3 and I've upgraded the front shock spring already is it wise to upgrade the front shock to the qs3 also? I've never had the chance to try out a LE model 4 of my buddies have Sidewinders 2 LTX SE and 2 LTX DX models. I plan on keeping this sled for a while and currently love the ride and power but like power I'm at the 280 level with TD Max Spool 17 improving my ride quality is my next mod. I have 3600 miles now with only the oil tank seal leak which was fixed at 500 mile service and 1 blown belt which was mostly my fault so this sled for me has been bulletproof so far for me. So help me make my next mod be well worth the money. Thanks

I have the Sidewinder LTX DX, and stock it definitely provides a "cushy" ride. Mine was so soft that I wanted to be able to stiffen it up, so I bought the QS3R front shocks, and they made a huge difference in the ride and handling of my sled. IMHO, it was money well spent. I was so happy that I ordered a QS3 for the rear skid shock, to install for next season. I found a good deal on the standard QS3, but I am thinking I should have held out and tried to find a QS3R.

I get what your asking! I also have a 17 LTX SE and just ordered a 20 LTX SE. I know most will laugh but IMO the upgrade is TOTALLY dependent on your trails and your riding style. Most will say the shocks on the SE are not capable. I beg to differ and say the SE shock package is very underrated. In MY SITUATION and where I ride and when I ride the upgrade is not even crossed my mind. I ride early mornings and usually never after dark. The trails I ride are glass until around 3 pm or so. Well by 3 pm I’m having a Pilsner at the cabin parked for night with 150 miles on sled. I will take the SE shocks all day. I have cannon dale rebuild every season and RIDE. I honestly have no desire to play with knobs( no pun intended) and or settings on the trail. I set my springs/ shocks up for my weight and style and ride it. Don’t look past the SE shocks. They are very good if set properly and rebuilt/maintained! Are they really bad if I ordered another SE? All right you guys can laugh and beat me up over my SE shocks now!

I get what your asking! I also have a 17 LTX SE and just ordered a 20 LTX SE. I know most will laugh but IMO the upgrade is TOTALLY dependent on your trails and your riding style. Most will say the shocks on the SE are not capable. I beg to differ and say the SE shock package is very underrated. In MY SITUATION and where I ride and when I ride the upgrade is not even crossed my mind

Great post! It's nice to see someone who's honest with them self about their riding conditions and what they really need. Yamaha has always been known for using excellent shocks, even on less than their premier models and this is a great example.

Yamaha along with the other OEM's spend a considerable amount of money and energy in their marketing efforts to try and convince us that YOU NEED the latest hi zoot, unobtanium coated, gazillion adjustment shocks that enable you to jump tall buildings and get laid after every ride. This is simply not the case.

Sometimes all it takes is to get your stock shocks (they need to be rebuildable of course ) set up for your riding style and conditions and you can be happy and money ahead in the long haul.

Last edited:

Back