• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

For those guys saying the cost of sleds is too high, I agree somewhat, but there are plenty cheaper sleds out there. Look at the Skidoo 600 sport sleds. They are like 7-8 grand Canadian brand new. Those Polaris Indy sleds are cheap, and there's a ton of non current 2 stroke cats out there for cheap. Seen 800s for under 10k Canadian.

And as far as Yamaha continuing in the snowmobile business, correct me if I'm wrong, but yamaha sold 5000 sleds last year give or take. It's small potatoes for a company that big.

They built a new turbocharged motor over the last 10yrs. Which is going in other recreational vehicles. smart, in this ever declining market. (Snowmobiling)

Other than that, the writing is on the wall.

I am not buying that sleds are too much money. Yes the high end machines are a lot, but so are high end bikes, boats, and cars. Do you really want to ride? There is HUGE value in the used sled range from $2500-$5500. I think the problem is the lack of snow in some areas and the commitment it takes to own a sled. Also it takes a certain type of person to embrace the colder months. Most think an island vacation is ideal. I cringe at the thought.

You have been stunnin

There is no Apex market...that has been proven for the last decade. Ask a dealer, Jesus man give up. You have been stunningly wrong for a long time. Give up.

Thats where you are wrong and can only think of the Apex in previous forms. There is a market for a Apex powered sled, what Apex owners want is the Engine first and a newer chassis built by Yamaha! Thats all they ever wanted but Yamaha has given up and can no longer build sleds. If you don't advance the sled other then upgrades (2011 is the last upgrade of any significance) of course the market died. They let Cat steal their thunder by shoehorning their motor into a cat chassis made for a twin and then the piece de resistance put yamaha stickers on them! Best way to get rid of something is make it obsolete. There are tons of Apex riders north of the border because the trails support that kind of sled. There will still be Apex riders 10 years from now because there is no replacement for the Apex! Still waiting for a 150 160hp NA 4 banger replacement to fit between the 130 and 208 hp gap! Either that or ride a Cat, Doo or Poo!

Please submit proof of this position. It can be your opinion but it certainly is not based on any fact that Yamaha has closed their Snowmobile Division that my friend is fake news without any fact based information. Lol and you say I’m out of touch with reality. Yamaha Snowmobile Division is open for business.

Sorry Yamaha Snowmobile Division may be open for business but the manufacturing is dead only Yamaha's being sold are to clear inventory of old chassis and engines! If all you have is an engine that you can call your own and your competitor builds thier own sled with that engine, then allows you to put your sticker on it, well just put a fork in it! Oh wait I forgot other then the sticker you also get a Yamaha Clutch. Poor Cat gets Team Fast clutches that seem to be working as well if not better!

sorry but yamaha is still very much in the sled business still,you need to fact check your stats!!

Waiting for Yamaha to build a chassis from the ground up.

If Yamaha doesnt put a gear reduction and rev capable 3 cylinder in a sled I know I will be getting a Apex soon. Yea not a big bump sled but for 500mi days with truck far away I dont pound it to bad anymore cause they all break even the Cats. And nothing is more discouraging than a long nice stretch and your sled wont even hit 100mph. Dont need more than that. Fully admit that at 90-100mph Adrenalin is pumping and no need to go any faster. Apex with very slightmods fits the bill.

I'm going to throw my thoughts as to Yamaha's next step with their sleds......

Last year was the year of the SideWinder. Most stock HP ever from an OEM. The SW along with the AC 9000 series has raised the bar for the top performance category.

This season they've taken the initiative along with Arctic Cat to go after the entry level kids sleds with the SnoScoot. This is a pretty bold move and I applaud their efforts and hope that their investment in the bottom level category will be a long term success to get more riders involved in the sport.

What's next?

2-strokes seem out of the question with their commitment to 4-strokes. They seem pretty happy with the growing acceptance of the mountain market now that they've got a decent AC mountain chassis with the excellent turbo powerplant.

They seem content with their line of utility sleds with the recently refreshed VK series and the touring class is covered with the Venture series.

There's still a lot of guys who are pining for a replacement for their beloved Apex 4-cylinder motor, but my thoughts are that Yamaha views the SW power plant as the Apex replacement.

This leaves the meat of the market, the 600 class. Will we see a new Japanese model that addresses this class, or will it be another joint effort with AC?

Hard to say, but my money is their next new models will be aimed squarely at the 600 class with a few new twists.

It should only be another four months or so before we know.

I'm going to throw my thoughts as to Yamaha's next step with their sleds......

Last year was the year of the SideWinder. Most stock HP ever from an OEM. The SW along with the AC 9000 series has raised the bar for the top performance category.

This season they've taken the initiative along with Arctic Cat to go after the entry level kids sleds with the SnoScoot. This is a pretty bold move and I applaud their efforts and hope that their investment in the bottom level category will be a long term success to get more riders involved in the sport.

What's next?

2-strokes seem out of the question with their commitment to 4-strokes. They seem pretty happy with the growing acceptance of the mountain market now that they've got a decent AC mountain chassis with the excellent turbo powerplant.

They seem content with their line of utility sleds with the recently refreshed VK series and the touring class is covered with the Venture series.

There's still a lot of guys who are pining for a replacement for their beloved Apex 4-cylinder motor, but my thoughts are that Yamaha views the SW power plant as the Apex replacement.

This leaves the meat of the market, the 600 class. Will we see a new Japanese model that addresses this class, or will it be another joint effort with AC?

Hard to say, but my money is their next new models will be aimed squarely at the 600 class with a few new twists.

It should only be another four months or so before we know.
The Viper is 600 class but heavier. Even advertised as such. They need 800 class. Those 800's and 850's do hit 100mph far more often than any NA Viper and they do it absolutely stock.

The Viper is 600 class but heavier. Even advertised as such. They need 800 class. Those 800's and 850's do hit 100mph far more often than any NA Viper and they do it absolutely stock.

I get that Steve. That's why I mentioned in my post that I see a 600 class sled with a few new twists. Hopefully to put it in a more favorable power to weight ratio than they're currently at with the Viper 600 class sled.

It's fun to speculate. I really miss Chris Reid and his blog.

Back