• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

Getting people into the sport is exactly why my dad and I made the decision to keep an xtra sled this year.. I have four people that will be coming along with us this winter.. even my sister a non out doors, high maintenance lawyer remembers how much fun it use to be and is coming up to ride. It’s hard to say what the future holds.. it really boils down to the snow.. tonight(I live in NE Ohio) was the first time I was cold in shorts and a long sleeve while helping my mom load her suv up for work.

Having a "spare" sled for friends and family is why my wife and I now own five snowmobiles, six if you count my youngest grandson's SRX 120! We have a family of snowmobilers, and we all love it. Now if I can only get my daughter and son-in-law to convert over from Polaris, life will be good!

I hope everyone is wrong with the gloom and doom predictions for snowmobiling, and Yamaha's resulting lack of dedication to the sport. While I agree that the prices of new sleds are generally outrageous, there are still people reaching deep into their pockets to pay the price. I recently read that Maine snowmobile registrations were up significantly in 2017 over 2016, in part they believed because we had a good snow year when southern New England did not. I can't find that article which had the up to date numbers, but I did find another older article from early last winter that showed Maine to have @64,000 snowmobile registrations at that point in 2017, which was @ 5,000 more than in all of 2016. My recollection is that the recent article I saw showed an even more significant increase in registration numbers by the end of the season. The area I ride in, Jackman near the Canadian border, is a "destination" for a lot of New England riders, and snowmobiling is alive and well up there.
At the WI Alliance meeting they announced 100,000 less sleds registered in WI for 2016/2017 riding season. That concerns me big time! ....snow conditions were not good statewide.

How about a 2 cyl 4-stroke turbo in the 140-150hp range?

How about a 2 cyl 4-stroke turbo in the 140-150hp range?
Turbos can be a pita but if priced right ok....better be a lot lighter if topping out at 150 ponies the old rear exhaust Nytro 3cyls was 139hp but pooped at 90mph but very snappy at low range. I like a solid midrange pull so I can pass with ease and be long gone.

My friends and I talk a lot about this.there is no character with sleds anymore the days of seeing slefds coming down the trail and saying there's an exciter look there a new 650 wildcat there's a 540 vmax look here comes a phaser with a pipe a lot off the fun is gone each company has one chaisis no excitement now Herr comnes a cat or skidoo or polaris only difference is engine's in the late 90s use to be so !much fun looking at different styles of sleds that's gone now.so I hope Yamaha comes out with a new Japan sledand get the excitement back.Sick of reading about mountain sleds with 27 inch bar risers and ,,6 inch paddle tracks couldent care less.The big thing when I was growing up was how fast is it or man that looks cool or listen to that triple go.Differasnt shapes cool looking bodies like I said weres the character gone its sad but excitement is gone just go out for a drive now.Remember the days when you would go out to a warming shack and see a new wildcat or exciter and talk about them and build relationships with a great crowd iam glad iam at the later end iasm 53 don't see much excitmernt anymore that's why retro clubs are growing different shapes engines colours sizes just my 50 cents

My friends and I talk a lot about this.there is no character with sleds anymore the days of seeing slefds coming down the trail and saying there's an exciter look there a new 650 wildcat there's a 540 vmax look here comes a phaser with a pipe a lot off the fun is gone each company has one chaisis no excitement now Herr comnes a cat or skidoo or polaris only difference is engine's in the late 90s use to be so !much fun looking at different styles of sleds that's gone now.so I hope Yamaha comes out with a new Japan sledand get the excitement back.Sick of reading about mountain sleds with 27 inch bar risers and ,,6 inch paddle tracks couldent care less.The big thing when I was growing up was how fast is it or man that looks cool or listen to that triple go.Differasnt shapes cool looking bodies like I said weres the character gone its sad but excitement is gone just go out for a drive now.Remember the days when you would go out to a warming shack and see a new wildcat or exciter and talk about them and build relationships with a great crowd iam glad iam at the later end iasm 53 don't see much excitmernt anymore that's why retro clubs are growing different shapes engines colours sizes just my 50 cents
I agree.... I tend to go to more Vintage shows and rides to just go back and remember how the sport was thriving but times have changed and no matter how nice and hi tech sleds are today the sport is at a turning point with cost, a new generation of people not having time to get involved and promotion. When a sled reaches the cost of a small car little lone buying two for the family its just not on the list of things a family OR anyone else these days can really afford . I understand there are people that love the sport and with passion and they are the only one dropping big money on sleds today.... and they are extending themselves to do so more than you think too! I have not bought a new sled for myself in 10 yrs now so glad I bought a good one! (Apex). IF ya update in any way most are buying a nice 2-3 yr old sled instead at close to half the price of new. That should be something the OEMs take a look at!

I see all the yamaha bashers are coming out of the woodwork on this post,pretty good humor:home::yam:

Iam not bashing I love Yamaha I'll prob pic up a three year old apex when 2018 50th are bit more affordable. I only buy a toy if I can pay cash my 07 apex gt PD a lot for it last year but it had hardly any miles on it llkve the sled got shock revalved snowtrackers set up well it will do me till 2018 are 3 or 4 years old iam an auto tech so I do all my own work that's the only reason I can afford two sleds my wife has a 2000 vmax 700 deluxe

upload_2017-10-27_11-17-57.png

I see all the yamaha bashers are coming out of the woodwork on this post,pretty good humor:home::yam:

Back