• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

I think for ALL the sled makers its going to be the cost of a sled that kills them.....Way out of wack with what people will spend to get into the sport. The group of people like most on this site and others that LOVE the sport and still feel its worth it is shrinking away . I hope I am wrong.

I think for ALL the sled makers its going to be the cost of a sled that kills them.....Way out of wack with what people will spend to get into the sport. The group of people like most on this site and others that LOVE the sport and still feel its worth it is shrinking away . I hope I am wrong.

I fear that you are right. Our Sport is NOT instant, no effort and 100% under your own control. So many don’t feel the $, maintenance and uncertainty of weather is “worth it”.
Hope we are wrong because when I am riding I LOVE IT!

I completely agree with the last few post. Snowmobiling is now a rich mans sport and that really sucks because in 10 years the average person wont be able to afford a new sled if they cant already now. Sleds will be 20K really soon I'm feeling and that's just stupid. I think sled makers need to build a basic sled in every category that is 10K or less. I for one I don't need the great shocks or all the high tech stuff just give me a sled that will be reliable and take me where I need to go. They can still offer all the high end sleds but it seems all sleds are heading that way. Prices need to stop or come down period. That's the only thing that will save the industry.

I have not read any replies yet but IMHO I see a true merger with artic cat in the future. It could provide Yamaha with soild 2 stroke engines to compete in the 600/800+ class. Idk if Trexton(spelling is prob wrong but the company that bought artic cat) would have the cash flow as Yamaha has there hands in everything from outboard motors, good utvs and quads.. and I think I saw a piano with the symbol. I think what is killing the snowmobile industry is the price of a new sled.. 15k for a new one, that’s just crazy to me. I got back into snowmobiling hard last winter.. this spring my wife assured me it’s ok if you want a new sled we will figure it out. I could not pull the trigger, I’m not broke by any means but the payment would be close to my wife’s car payment. Oh trust me I wanted it.. but I could not look my wife in the eyes and say “sorry babe we can’t go out to eat this weekend bc of my sled payment” I’ll always be loyal to Yamaha that’s what I learned how to ride on and that’s what I’ll always ride. Honestly all OEMs are pricing out the average joe.. just my 2 cents
You can't merge what you don't own and why the OEM Agreement is in place for both corps as the most economical way to share tech to build any product for the end user for any product. The Yamaha motor division is not for sale so Textron can't own their own Yamaha 4s snomo engine plant and merge that with current AC mfg in TRF.....don't know why Textron would even think that way? Yamaha has not shown any interest in buying AC ...They could have but didn't.... As things stand now the best way forward is renewal of the OEM Agreement. Forget any merger and consolidation not going to happen costs too much look to another OEM Agreement and if that agreement draws the 2 corps closer or further apart. New OEM Agreement only game in town unless Yamaha has something new of their own..which they may have but would cost big time for new tooling in a shrinking market. Hopefully they have an Apex/Vector replacement but sure have been tight lipped if they do. Very interesting to me both AC and Yamaha left the 150-160ish HP 4s NA market with a gaping hole. Last year of Apex also indicates that hole needs to be back filled and both corps know it.....but with what replacement model and pricing?

No expert here ..... but i think what your seeing with all the "partnerships" and "mergers" and "buyouts"are company's combining efforts to find a way to keep building sleds viable which to me is a sign that the sport is not "attractive" to corporations very much anymore. They just keep trying only to conclude the same as the last guy... It used to be a great business to be in when it was affordable buy the masses.... we ask for all the technology and get it but your wages and cost of living cant keep up with it... frankly a sled should not cost what it does anyway ... all the tech is already been around and used by the time ya see on sleds!

Is snow conditions don't improve big-time, it won't matter what you can afford.

I hope everyone is wrong with the gloom and doom predictions for snowmobiling, and Yamaha's resulting lack of dedication to the sport. While I agree that the prices of new sleds are generally outrageous, there are still people reaching deep into their pockets to pay the price. I recently read that Maine snowmobile registrations were up significantly in 2017 over 2016, in part they believed because we had a good snow year when southern New England did not. I can't find that article which had the up to date numbers, but I did find another older article from early last winter that showed Maine to have @64,000 snowmobile registrations at that point in 2017, which was @ 5,000 more than in all of 2016. My recollection is that the recent article I saw showed an even more significant increase in registration numbers by the end of the season. The area I ride in, Jackman near the Canadian border, is a "destination" for a lot of New England riders, and snowmobiling is alive and well up there.

i think a big part of it to is the lack of youth riders or lack of youth wanting to do something other than video games.... i work with alot of younger up and coming auto mechanics that i have pushed into riding. i let them bring there sleds into the shop to get them ready for the season. all ways a good time after hours playing with old sleds and getting them running. i feel like we could somehow do more to get the younger crowd into riding again. I don't have an idea on how to do that other than helping the local kids with there broken stuff that there parents don't know how to fix. no matter how much the new ones cost when i was buying my first sled all i had was 500 bucks.

i think a big part of it to is the lack of youth riders or lack of youth wanting to do something other than video games.... i work with alot of younger up and coming auto mechanics that i have pushed into riding. i let them bring there sleds into the shop to get them ready for the season. all ways a good time after hours playing with old sleds and getting them running. i feel like we could somehow do more to get the younger crowd into riding again. I don't have an idea on how to do that other than helping the local kids with there broken stuff that there parents don't know how to fix. no matter how much the new ones cost when i was buying my first sled all i had was 500 bucks.
I agree with the lack of youth riders. a friend of mine took his son to the dealer the day I picked my new one up. he was looking to buy a sled for his 14 year old but he wanted nothing to do with it. they have had sxs, dirt bikes, jet skis, boats, even a sno scoot but still didn't want a brand new sled. I just cant seem to imagine telling my father no don't buy me a sled lol

While Whitedust1 & 2slapsdown argue over the future, i can say there is a market for 150ish hp 4-stroke sleds. I was looking to replace my Apex & would have went with 1200 Doo if they bumped it up to 150hp. The same can be said with EVERYONE i ride with. DOO didn't come through, but i'm not complaining about my 200hp either. IF the big Y has no new chassis for 2019, i'd say they may be done. How long they stay in AC chassis is then up for debate. Maybe next year you two can hash this debate up again.
Either way, i'm happy with a YAMAHA motor in a very good chassis with GREAT shocks. Yamaha has over 40% of the world boat motor market. They know how famous their engines are. They also know that somebody will want their motors in a sled. HECK, if textron deal goes away, what's to say Polaris doesn't fill their 4-stroke market with Yamaha's. They also know they need to keep Yamaha people....YAMAHA PEOPLE!
So they need to stay in the sled business one way or another to KEEP those customers or get more...my .02 cents

P.S. to Whitedust: Is that name because you like snow or did you live it up in the 80's?
P.S. to 2slapsdown: Never slap........it stings!

Getting people into the sport is exactly why my dad and I made the decision to keep an xtra sled this year.. I have four people that will be coming along with us this winter.. even my sister a non out doors, high maintenance lawyer remembers how much fun it use to be and is coming up to ride. It’s hard to say what the future holds.. it really boils down to the snow.. tonight(I live in NE Ohio) was the first time I was cold in shorts and a long sleeve while helping my mom load her suv up for work.

Getting people into the sport is exactly why my dad and I made the decision to keep an xtra sled this year.. I have four people that will be coming along with us this winter.. even my sister a non out doors, high maintenance lawyer remembers how much fun it use to be and is coming up to ride. It’s hard to say what the future holds.. it really boils down to the snow.. tonight(I live in NE Ohio) was the first time I was cold in shorts and a long sleeve while helping my mom load her suv up for work.

I kept my Apex as a spare sled for same reason. I have friends that i know will enjoy it, but will never get "into" it. BUT, i have a few prospects that i believe have the money, time & desire that just might get "into" it. It costs me $$$$ to keep it registered, insured & upkeep, but it may be worth the investment...

One reason I kept my Phazer, I have a few nephews and my daughter that I need to start teaching the values of snowmobiling. 4 kids that need to go through safety training in the next few winters to earn their certificates and I HOPE become future "riding buddies". It's been somewhat of a battle to get them interested in power sports but they have been really enjoying the TRX90 and my old TRX300 4x4 this past summer and hope that carries on to winter.

Back