• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

You Guys Pulling Your Tunnell Protectors

woodydog

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Polaris Rush Axys Pro S 800 60th Anniversary
2015 Yamaha SR Viper RTX DX
1983 Yamaha Vmax 540
1981 Yamaha SRX 440
I have read on here that pulling your tunnel protectors out will help stop the heavy ice build up in the tunnel. You guys aren't doing that with studded tracks right? I'm going with 1.38 inch long studs, 96 total.
Thanks,
mjd

If you're running studs, I'd keep them put, especially up by the drivers. Mine, on the other hand, are gone in the front, and the rest are goin this weekend.

I wouldn't recommend running with out the tunnel protectors. I just pick the back of my sled up and slam it to the ground whenever I feel its necesary. It seems to work good enough for me and I'm sorta fussy about my machine.

No problem, I didn't plan on pulling them with studding. Just wondered if that's what some people were doing ?
Thanks!
mjd

Just a heads-up for anyone plannig on doing this ; If you're doing a track change and need to remove the front tunnel protectors up by the heat exchanger to fit a taller lug, take advantage of the available work space now and remove the rest along the tunnel at this time, save you from having to remove the skid or gas tank later on like some folks on here... :o| Also, the Tech Advisors and fellow TY members will Thank you for it as well...lol !

Thanks Turk and NLVMAX ;)!

UPDATE...Don't bother trying to remove these by lifting the gas tank, it's of no use, heat shields and exhaust headers are in the way. Only way to get at the front tunnel protector mounts is from underneath. Drop the skid with the drivers still in tact, and after you've removed the rear and mid rivets, just get under the sled with the rear elevated, pull down on these rails slightly until you can get a chisel or some kind of flat sharp object in between the rails and the tunnel, and smash away with the hammer :die There's 3 rivets holding on the front part of these, so make sure you get em all before trying to remove the protectors. A few good hits with a chisel and hammer and they're gonzo ! :Rockon:

Back