• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 21 top gear WITHOUT oil hole!

jonlafon1

Lifetime Member
Mount Morris, WI. Chaney Lake, Upper MI eh!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder LTX_SE

2024 Catalyst RXC

2017 Sidewinder LTX-SE. 11750 miles (SOLD)
CF4881EB-A9CD-493F-A67E-971334FD4D60.jpeg
F6D4472C-82E5-499B-A270-24A17B27AF7E.jpeg
CF4881EB-A9CD-493F-A67E-971334FD4D60.jpeg
690C983C-FB89-459C-A801-1C7B22FFC380.jpeg
631D887E-63E3-4324-A53A-8B06D8E3649B.jpeg
62EE04B9-2D2D-4957-B442-4CCCA20F4ABE.jpeg
585C1479-B93E-4C82-9FA9-061CE7B19A49.jpeg
E92D0152-EC91-4712-A51C-EDD328330005.jpeg
22968839-59C4-44EA-B604-EB723FD6A867.jpeg
F6D4472C-82E5-499B-A270-24A17B27AF7E.jpeg
Thought this was very good news and might give a few some positive vibes on this chaincase and gears. I know it’s not perfect but I thought this was damn impressive for 6k miles. Split the case and waiting on a new top 21 gear with oil hole. Also a new chain as mine has stretched some. Figured it was time for a split and see what’s up. I know most are splitting chaincase every year. This was my first time @ 6k. 2017 Sidewinder stock gears. TD eco trail with turbo force muffler since day one on this sled. 200+ studs. Klotz chaincase with 1-2 ounces of the additive shown in pic. Also my screw for the chain roller was very tight. Did loosen and install some red lock. Some wear on the bushing material but not bad considering this is the gear without oil hole.

Last edited:

A good quality lube goes a l9ng way, the Yamaha chain case lube is garbage and they come in 8 oz bottles which is not enough.

I have filled mine to just over the half way of site glass. Even just short of the top of the glass one year. Either way 12 oz. minimum. I was very happy to see the klotz black slime on everything. And well coated

Last edited:
I saw a post on one of the Facebook sidewinder pages where the 2017 top gear without the oiling hole is lasting longer than the one with the drilled holes. Something about more crap getting to the bushing with the holes drilled. My 17 looks mint as well at 7500kms, I was planning on changing it because of what I have read on here but decided not to.

I saw a post on one of the Facebook sidewinder pages where the 2017 top gear without the oiling hole is lasting longer than the one with the drilled holes. Something about more crap getting to the bushing with the holes drilled. My 17 looks mint as well at 7500kms, I was planning on changing it because of what I have read on here but decided not to.
Cool thanks for the info. I would bet the one with the hole WILL LAST longer. Either way it shows it’s not to bad without. I’m going with a new one with hole.

I had my 21 tooth and no hole with the coating worn off at just 750 miles.

22 with 2 holes I drilled looked like the day I put it in with 1500 miles on it. I’ll take holes every time. If it doesn’t have holes, I’d drill them in.

Oh boy. Here goes the Facebook crap again Lol

Oh boy. Here goes the Facebook crap again Lol

Facebook or here its all the same #*$&@. Sidewinder owners sharing experiences bud. Mine without the oil hole is is fine at 7500 kms, as well as this posters. So its not crap, there seem to be many without oil holes and without issue. Of these failures, I wonder how many had the correct chain tension. It seems like I have to turn my adjuster a few turns every 600-800 kms or so. I had mine set perfect at the beginning of this season and after 2 days of testing and racing on ice, and 600 kms of riding, I had to tighten the adjust a 2 or 3 turns. It cannot be good to have the chain hitting stuff in the case, rubbing that nub off and having your oil impregnated with ground magnesium.

Facebook or here its all the same #*$&@. Sidewinder owners sharing experiences bud. Mine without the oil hole is is fine at 7500 kms, as well as this posters. So its not crap, there seem to be many without oil holes and without issue. Of these failures, I wonder how many had the correct chain tension. It seems like I have to turn my adjuster a few turns every 600-800 kms or so. I had mine set perfect at the beginning of this season and after 2 days of testing and racing on ice, and 600 kms of riding, I had to tighten the adjust a 2 or 3 turns. It cannot be good to have the chain hitting stuff in the case, rubbing that nub off and having your oil impregnated with ground magnesium.
I was referring to another post where everyone went off on the Facebook info /rumors ... Etc
Apparently you missed that one.

I was referring to another post where everyone went off on the Facebook info /rumors ... Etc
Apparently you missed that one.

Lol, you quoted my post, look up a few. Many of the same guys that post here post on Facebook. Wasn’t trying to start something, just trying to help out other sidewinder owners with a different viewpoint based off my own experience. I thought that’s what these forums were for. Thanks for your insightful contribution to the topic at hand tho.

Good win for klotz.
Yep. 5000kms. Significant coating wear on top 24gear without oil hole. Cat gears

It was meant in sarcasm. Nevermind.. enjoy your day

I personally know alot of people who post on FB who I would not ever take advice from when it comes to ANYTHING in life, much less my Winder. LOL

Leave FB for the 14 yr old girls please.

Dan

Back