• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2022 Sidewinder ltx eps - getting rid of push

I
A single carbide will dart. The Qualipieces adventure is their version of the snowtracker (anti-dart). It has the plate in front of the carbide to reduce darting (similar to snowtracker) but lacks the correction plates (u shaped plates) and the profile is shorter so it should not require any suspension adjustments over stock.
Interesting, maybe I will try those? These bloody carbides were over $300 CDN! I really thought the offset like I have, similar to factory, would be a good choice. I wonder how bergstroms would do on this ski?

YEs this is what they Mission offset look like, just like the stock carbide except 12 inch total carbide. The pic on Qualipiece with the link above is not correct, I am running the offset ones.
Thanks for the clear up

No problem. Anyone run a good single carbide on these skis? Any search I have done, it's either snowtrackers or the offset carbides.
Unfortunately single carbide will dart badly that’s why snowtrackers are the choice of many.
When I first bought my 20 GT I had a hard time turning the bars with the stock carbides I had to tighten the centre spring so much that it killed my suspension, way to rough over the bumps.. putting snowtrackers on the stock skis completely changed that, light steering even with the centre shock backed off to very little preload but I wanted a wider ski so I tried the cat ski with shaper bars and skimmed the skis and all that and it was probably the worse riding experience I’ve ever experienced, next came the aggressive snowtrackers on the cat ski they worked good but found some understeer in some conditions which I didn’t like so I ended up trying a pair of the new Slydog command skis with 6” shaper bars unbelievable how these skis run straight with single carbide, absolutely zero darting and bite extremely well in the corners BUT the steering effort was a bit much for me after a long days ride unless I cranked my center shock again but I don’t like having a stiff rear suspension so those came off, if I had a power steering sled these are the ski I’ll have without a doubt it’s something about the way they designed the keel which eliminates all the darting.. Since my 2007 apex I’ve probably put on over 50k on trackers and it’s the carbide I always seem to go back to no matter what sled. It’s a tough call but single carbides will dart and darting isn’t fun.

Last edited:
No problem. Anyone run a good single carbide on these skis? Any search I have done, it's either snowtrackers or the offset carbides.
I am going to try the Stud boy shapers this year. They worked well on my ZR800 that I had last year.
I second that motion against pulling that limiter strap up that high. You will ruin the ride of the sled. Put that strap back to stock position at least.
You want the rear skid to hit the floor evenly when lifting and putting it back down. That is a good starting point

I am going to try the Stud boy shapers this year. They worked well on my ZR800 that I had last year.
I second that motion against pulling that limiter strap up that high. You will ruin the ride of the sled. Put that strap back to stock position at least.
You want the rear skid to hit the floor evenly when lifting and putting it back down. That is a good starting point

Shapers work really well for steering, not good at all for darting and ease of steering.

Shapers work really well for steering, not good at all for darting and ease of steering.
They seemed to work well on my ZR800. skis where shimmed. Minimal darting and it went wherever you pointed it.
I am hoping with EPS and the ability to easily shim the skis I can get my Sidewinder to turn as well

I run the 160/260 Cat center spring with 9" Shapers. Finding the right preload very important to find the fine line between too much ski pressure and not enough. Limiters stock location. Rear springs on softest setting. Very good weight transfer. I'm about 210# riding.

on the STX-GT I am using 6" stud boy duelly on USI x3's skis...I'm not complaining about the way they work, it's good enough for me or should I say soooo much better than stock tuners. Lets face it, I don't have the resources to go and buy all these different skis and carbides so I dont know exactly how all these set ups steer, but I am happy with the stud boy duelly and the USI setup. Yes, it cost a small fortune for these skis and carbides. Joe

Reading what everybody is saying and it all depends on what you are expecting out of your ride. With my Nytro and my Bride's Vector I have tried all sorts of combo's of ski's and carbide's. C&A with an 8" shaper bar was the final choice on the Nytro. Steers hard, darts some, but it sticks where you point it! The Vector, I did the same thing but with 6" shaper bars even with the EPS it acted the same. On the Vector I went back to the stock single ski's with the woody slim Jim dualies to get rid of the darting, just had to put up with the pushing in the corners at times.

Last year I bought my first new sled since 1994, a 2022 LTX GT, had to settle for used which was cool. First the power steering is awesome on the sidewinder, better than the Vector. So far the stryke ski seems to work fine for me. Started out with the stock offset runners and they worked pretty good, a little push with next to nothing on the darting. Well we wore those out at about 700 miles or so. So, I then went to my old standby of and 8" shaper bar, which had no push and steered where you needed it to go, again love the power steering. However, the darting was very pronounced. So for this year I went to the aggressive snow trackers. After 75 miles, all I can say is no push and NO darting. SLOT car handling! Put semi aggressive's on the Vector also! Wife loves them! Both of the sleds have the stock settings on the suspensions and as of now I don't plan on changing anything! Again, EPS, stock ski's with Snowtrackers, a good combination for my wife and I! I will post an update after the season with my final conclusion!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with dual carbides. Ran them for many miles. Slim Jim’s. Double downs. Cat skis. They are decent. Are trackers slightly better> yes, but if you comfortable on your sled with dual carbides so be it. I feel like if you spend some miles doing small tweaks with duals you’re fine. Not everyone rides super aggressively.

The dual carbides -whether they are slim jims or doolies seem to respond well on these heavy 4 strokes. THey really break up the steering pressure, and have an all around good bite. My slim jims will push - but it is so predictable, it doesnt leave you wondering.

In deep fresh or spring slushy conditions - it will push a bit more, where you have to start backing off on the throttle.

MS

So basically I have learnt that the consensus is that any dual carbide will push no matter the ski, single carbides will get rid of push BUT they dart, and most people go for snowtrackers to get rid of push and dart. I have run trackers and hate them for my style of riding so that's not an option for me. I guess I'm a bit surprised nobody has found a better combo WITHOUT going to trackers?

I feel that I have had good handling (no push/no dart) in the past with some of my ski combos (either the 6.9s or the 5.7r) so will try these strykes one more time, if not I am switching skis.

So basically I have learnt that the consensus is that any dual carbide will push no matter the ski, single carbides will get rid of push BUT they dart, and most people go for snowtrackers to get rid of push and dart. I have run trackers and hate them for my style of riding so that's not an option for me. I guess I'm a bit surprised nobody has found a better combo WITHOUT going to trackers?

I feel that I have had good handling (no push/no dart) in the past with some of my ski combos (either the 6.9s or the 5.7r) so will try these strykes one more time, if not I am switching skis.

And to make it all the more complex, you really need to match up the carbide length to the amount of traction you have. Once you pick the right combination, its all still a compromise as conditions change :)

Some of the manufacturers have tried to split the difference between traditional carbides and the snowtracker.

Qualipieces has the Adventure

Bergstrom has the triple point plus ski saver

Your best bet may be Woody Slim Jims on the tuners which are more aggressive and deeper than a dooly, but they are expensive, still push in aggressive riding and they don't last too long, but at least they don't dart.

I have every carbide brand under the sun tucked under my bench. They are all full of compromise in one way or the other. The one set of carbides that go where pointed, dont dart and steer easy, not to mention last a long time are the Aggressive Snowtrackers. The drawbacks, they push some in the soft snow when the temps are around freezing because they too can plug up. Rocks and chunks can get caught once in a while. When the correctors get worn down they steer hard and will want to dart on the hardback, correctors need replaced at that point.

Doo skis are nothing special without the Snowtrackers, I've run all the Doo skis and the twin keels like to push in the snow and the dual carbides on them will still hunt and dart around.

I'm not sure why you are against the trackers and there "not for your style". They work in slow going and when being pushed hard. I know Doo skis and the trackers will not be unstable as I've run that combo since forever on the winder. I have no experience yet with the Strike and Snowtrackers as my SRX is not here yet, but as soon as it comes in I plan to put trackers on it hands down. There is noting better out there than trackers that I hade tried. I've given up on the other carbides unless it for early season and dirt riding.

Back