• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2023 Top Gear is Powdered Metal Junk

Your bushing is working great in my SRX Dave, thank you. Who knew that Cat would go to a sintered gear, so silly.
I was surprised, to see the different looking gear, although there have been several different suppliers of the Cat gears since 2017 to today.
But the gear never looked different. Thank you for your kind words.
We try to offer a top quality product.

Of course, I was one of the 2 with the 2019 problem but called Dave and he fixed me up with no more problems.
Thank you for your kind words and sorry for the issue. we try but we did have a few issues. :(

so whats the good yamaha part # for the steel machined gear

All 2017 and plus years Cat/Sidewinder HYVO stock gears have been billet steel prior to this year.

You'll know if you have a sintered gear because it will break in the chain case and take out the chains and break parts in the process. How they ever got approved for production is beyond me. Obviously was not someone that has any experience with sintered top sprockets or had been around Cat in the early years. They'd break in an old 650 Two-Stroke when drag racing!

so whats the good yamaha part # for the steel machined gear
We are ordering the gear from a cat dealer.
1702-490 = 21 tooth
1702-491 = 22 tooth
1702-488 = 24 tooth

The original part number from Yamaha is superseded to the new number. ordering the original part number will not guarantee you will get to old version.

Not sure how my 22 srx le got one of these powdered gears blew a chain on Sunday broke a bunch of teeth off top gear same as the pictures

Cat's supply chain issues!
So now they are just sending them down the road with anything of the shelf....
:o|

Not sure how my 22 srx le got one of these powdered gears blew a chain on Sunday broke a bunch of teeth off top gear same as the pictures

I've heard of another 22 SRX that had the powdered gear fail as well. Strange that some 22's have it.

Also u can order the gears without the oil holes , if your going to replace the bushing anyways and really there’s is zero need for the holes and their cheaper .

I changed my gears day one in my 2022 GT. I looked at my stock gears last night.
it looks like I had one of the sintered gears?
1675886621604.jpeg

I changed my gears day one in my 2022 GT. I looked at my stock gears last night.
it looks like I had one of the sintered gears?
View attachment 171430

Yep, can't believe its not broke! You must not have put any abuse on it Rich.... Wonder why it look black and not gold?
Push the better bushing out and keep the bushing, throw that fricking thing as far away as you can!

I changed it out before I even rode it. I went with a different gear ratio.
Good thing I guess

I changed it out before I even rode it. I went with a different gear ratio.
Good thing I guess

Ya, good thing for sure! I can't even believe Cat/Yamaha did this!

Back