• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts New Driveshaft Solution

Factory OEM design is there's a retaining ring on each end of shaft. Neither bearing is fixed to shaft. Shaft theoretically can float left/right some. Brake rotor floats on splines. My point is without the retaining ring on brake side, theoretically the shaft could float towards the chain case side, but only until the inner locating ring contacts the seal in caliper housing. Could it move far enough for the plastic/rubber drive shaft plug with the little magnets in it to contact the inside of the chain case? IDK what distance is? Doubtful but it is theoretically possible. But what if something hits the track shaft (branch, stick, piece of ice, etc) and forces it towards the chain case side? Then could the rubber plug in end of the shaft inside the chain case move far enough to contact inside of case?
Bottom line is leaving outside brake rotor clip off probably wouldn't be a big deal but in theory it could cause a problem.

The chaincase side of the shaft has a step on it so it will only go in till it hits the inner bearing race.

Screenshot_20220501-094653_Gallery.jpg

Then I stand corrected. Then, that snap ring really isn't needed.
Question, in real world riding, does that step do the limiting or does that clip outside the brake rotor do the limiting?

Then I stand corrected. Then, that snap ring really isn't needed.
Question, in real world riding, does that step do the limiting or does that clip outside the brake rotor do the limiting?
Chaincase side driveshaft is sandwiched, brake rotor side the inner clip never seems to be touched but the outer brake router clip takes some abuse. Poor design . I would think the outer brake router clip has to deal with the tunnel flex

Had conversation with senior tech at my dealer last week over what I am working on. He agreed with me that the seal really is not needed. He views it as more of a shield for debris as water gets behind it with ease. My new piece will all but shield the bearing, but I will be able to provide another seal as an option if one prefers to retain the seal.

Another question…

Let’s say I have a worn shaft and have means of installing a bearing that is true and on center. What loctite/liquid bond would one used to “fill in gap” between bearing and worn shaft? Someone suggested green loctite.

Had conversation with senior tech at my dealer last week over what I am working on. He agreed with me that the seal really is not needed. He views it as more of a shield for debris as water gets behind it with ease. My new piece will all but shield the bearing, but I will be able to provide another seal as an option if one prefers to retain the seal.

Another question…

Let’s say I have a worn shaft and have means of installing a bearing that is true and on center. What loctite/liquid bond would one used to “fill in gap” between bearing and worn shaft? Someone suggested green loctite.
It depends on how much is worn. Green Loctite will get Pulverized if too big a gap.

Locktite 648 retaining compound is made for press / close fit clearances. I think they make another version for looser fits

I would buy a new shaft if there is any wear, then install your device. Not sure if I would want to try and "correct" a worn shaft.

Hard to believe that five years into the Sidewinder life we are still looking to fix a major design flaw that Yamaha won’t fix…..

Tried bearing mount Green.. No go as the gap was to large. Turned it into powder after some miles. This is a 2021 8000 cat that the shaft was worn @ 180 miles from brand new from factory. I ran the sled for one trip without a wedge and its been garbage since. I looked up a new shaft a few months ago and it was "no longer available" NOT back ordered. ???

EDIT.. I do have a wedge on this sled @ 55lbs torque

Last edited:
I think most that had green loctite fail were relying on it to hold the bearing. There will be no rotational torque on the loctite in my application. The force it is exposed to would really just be compressive force.

Last edited:
Tried bearing mount Green.. No go as the gap was to large. Turned it into powder after some miles. This is a 2021 8000 cat that the shaft was worn @ 180 miles from brand new from factory. I ran the sled for one trip without a wedge and its been garbage since. I looked up a new shaft a few months ago and it was "no longer available" NOT back ordered. ???

How much wear does your shaft have? I will be looking for some people to try out my new concept on a worn shaft.

Back