• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts New Driveshaft Solution

This is from a new introvert shaft delivered spring of 2021. Bearing fit was still sloppy. Not sure hardness.
F88A1D2D-ECC8-443E-B626-0AD6978EEF56.jpeg

Yes, drivers and 3 bolt gasket flange included, took mine straight to machine shop for a bearing retaining pin and grove in a new bearing.
That’s progress, (thread #49 ) Fords for Life gets it many can also use there orig shaft,when it is spray welded ,when having the anti- rotation pin installed.$140 plus shipping,and saving the cost of a new shaft

Last edited:
Today I got my 22 apart. Put a bearing on the shaft and installed the current driveshaft saver and at 20ft lbs it started to lock down. At 25 i could no longer pull it off by hand. This is right in line with what I was seeing with the 14-20 shafts so I'm having a hard time believing the shaft was indeed hardened. I can mark up the bearing surface on the 22 shaft with a hand file so even if hardness was increased for anti wear, it is still softer than a bearing race.

Based on these findings I'm going to recommend a driveshaft saver for 22+ models.

Even though the expander is still effective on 22, I'm still pursuing my new concept as it provides an easy fix for those that have a worn shaft.

Good to know Travis. Is your new design "better" than the wedge for a new, unused 22? Mine is sitting in my trailer with zero miles on it.

I am still going to sell the wedge design for those that know they have a good shaft as its easier to install. There really is no uncertainty on a new shaft. The uncertainties arise when one tries to use on a used shaft and doesn't take the time to check shaft for wear. The new concept, wear or no wear will absolutely lock down the bearing. If i recall you already have the wedge for your new 22. If you decide you like my new concept better no problem to send it back to exchange.

Yes, I do have the wedge for the 22. I now have 7k miles on my 2018 with your wedge. If, when I take it apart in July, there is no wear on the shaft, then I will be happy and just use the wedge in the new one.

What is the acceptable diffference in size between shaft and bearing to use the wedge without building the shaft back up. I will be checking mine this summer.

What is the acceptable diffference in size between shaft and bearing to use the wedge without building the shaft back up. I will be checking mine this summer.
That difference is not a for sure measurement. You can remove the bearing itself from the caliper and install it on your worn shaft and then put wedge on and begin doing torques on a torque wrench and see where it starts to hold the bearing onto shaft. Then maybe increase slightly from that point. I have torqued up to 55 lbs on a severely worn shaft. IMO 60lbs would be max torque. This shaft and wedge issue is not a exact science as far as torque numbers and measurements on worn shafts.. The issue is that these shafts are all over the place for measurements and slip fit for the bearing .. So no exact science here.. IMO 40-55 lbs on torque is a decent range..
ALSO very important when you install the wedge to make small torques and spin the shaft/track. This allows the wedge to seat(normalize) and helps to prevent the brake assembly from wobbling after assembly.. I like to do about 10 lbs first torque and spin track some and continue every 10 lbs of torque until you reach your desired torque.. So approximately 4-5 different torques with track spin in between each. Guessing we may have a new product from Travis @ BOP that may address new and worn shafts.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I guess i was hoping for a rule of thumb on what is allowable for that type of interference fit between bearing and shaft from some of you machine shop types. I had metal shop in high school many decades ago and I do have inside and outside calipers and a micrometer. What you are saying makes sense though, basically if the wedge can tighten it up and hold the bearing just go with it. Thanks again.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I guess i was hoping for a rule of thumb on what is allowable for that type of interference fit between bearing and shaft from some of you machine shop types. I had metal shop in high school many decades ago and I do have inside and outside calipers and a micrometer. What you are saying makes sense though, basically if the wedge can tighten it up and hold the bearing just go with it. Thanks again.
Yup when it starts to hold tight add 10-15 more pounds of torque IMO. send it!

So for someone new at this - is what you are measuring the OD of the shaft vs the ID of the bearing, to check for wear? I haven an 18 Cat 600 with 5K miles on it. I'm going to look at it sometime this summer. I'm assuming the bearing will be needing to be replaced but not sure on the shaft until I look at it of course. I haven't heard as many issues on 600s - perhaps because there aren't as many out there but perhaps less power too. Just speculating.

So for someone new at this - is what you are measuring the OD of the shaft vs the ID of the bearing, to check for wear? I haven an 18 Cat 600 with 5K miles on it. I'm going to look at it sometime this summer. I'm assuming the bearing will be needing to be replaced but not sure on the shaft until I look at it of course. I haven't heard as many issues on 600s - perhaps because there aren't as many out there but perhaps less power too. Just speculating.
The shaft wears faster than the bearing.
But at that mileage, bearing & shaft will need replacing.
Our 2018 ZR6000 El Tigre at 1500 miles was shot.
The 2017 ZR6000RS at 6500 miles was really shot.
New shafts & bearings on both. Wedge started getting the bearing snug before 20ftlbs.
Torqued to 45ftlbs & called it good. Sleds are now at 5000/13,500 miles. No spinning.
All ProCross spin the caliper side bearing.

New shafts & bearings on both. Wedge started getting the bearing snug before 20ftlbs.
Torqued to 45ftlbs & called it good. Sleds are now at 5000/13,500 miles. No spinning.
Thanks for input. Was hoping that's not the case but it is what it is. I'll try to get to it sooner than later, especially since it's likely I'll need a shaft and I've seen other places they are backordered right now.

Thanks for input. Was hoping that's not the case but it is what it is. I'll try to get to it sooner than later, especially since it's likely I'll need a shaft and I've seen other places they are backordered right now.
just wait for bop new design here , that this thred is about, hes makin it to be used on worn shafts

We all know what we mean by this but since Hoosiersnow says he's new, I think it's worth clarifying this to mean the track shaft spins inside the bearing, both when the tracks shaft is being accelerated and decelerated. I think the problem is worse when it's really cold out because the grease in the bearing makes the bearing hard to turn until it warms up.

Back