• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts New Driveshaft Solution

Anyone drill straight thru driveshaft where the set screws are on this new bearing and just put a bolt thru it? A 10-32 bolt would be plenty.

Thanks!
I figured I would just trace out the caliper on a piece of cardboard for a template and make one when I have time.
Never needed a puller before because the bearing always spun on shaft.
Looks like I will definitely need a puller moving fwd.
Thanks again!
Yup, that's what I did.
I need one cuz both my track shaft bearings are pressed on! I also have a special tool to press bearings on once track shaft is in sled.

Sounds good but looks like I'll have to pull shaft to install seal. No big deal.
Still waiting for other parts for sled so I have the time to pull driveshaft out.
i put the seal in wo pullin shaft, posted a few pages back, oblongs it a bit not much, round it back and pop in plate, tools needed... patience, time,beer

Sounds good but looks like I'll have to pull shaft to install seal. No big deal.
Still waiting for other parts for sled so I have the time to pull driveshaft out.
Why even do that? Apex does not have a redundant seal. I just left the seal out, cut the retainer and used
three large washers to spread the load inside the tunnel. :)

On the 2 I have done I didn't bother with the plate or seal.
Installing another next week and will do the same....
i hear ya , seal really not needed,i just had the time and seal figured id put it in, would i replace the seal if she tore up nope, would i replace it if it was tore up and i had bearing housing out anyway... mabe , proly.... i just wanted it in ! was good bonding time with the sled back in october

Well started to install this new product. The rotor was so damaged(back side of rotor)from the bearing spinning that it took me 40 minutes to get brake rotor off. This shaft has been spinning inside the bearing since day one.. The wear is from last years miles. I put a original shaft saver in this sled since 180 miles. that was TOO LATE. The Wedge was at 60lbs on this sled last season.. IMPORTANT > get the wedge in these sleds from ZERO miles period.. Will see how this new solution works.. This shaft is totally toast.

Well started to install this new product. The rotor was so damaged(back side of rotor)from the bearing spinning that it took me 40 minutes to get brake rotor off. This shaft has been spinning inside the bearing since day one.. The wear is from last years miles. I put a original shaft saver in this sled since 180 miles. that was TOO LATE. The Wedge was at 60lbs on this sled last season.. IMPORTANT > get the wedge in these sleds from ZERO miles period.. Will see how this new solution works.. This shaft is totally toast.
It's weird that a few don't wear. I'm working on a 2014 Viper and there's no wear at all. Maybe it's just the extra power.
This shaft is externally quite rusty, so it wasn't recently replaced, if at all.

It's weird that a few don't wear. I'm working on a 2014 Viper and there's no wear at all. Maybe it's just the extra power.
This shaft is externally quite rusty, so it wasn't recently replaced, if at all.
Some are a better fit then others for sure. I used to think it was power thing, but not seeing that. This shaft I speak of above post is a 2021 Cat 800 I bought from new. Made the mistake of running it for 180 miles without wedge. When I took it apart at 180 miles it was worn a lot. This will be a good test mule for the "new" BOP fix..

Found my old tiny 03 RX1 (compared to cat) bearing with the sleeve for set screws on the shaft, good design. Just got Travis' new bearing with set screws, but I prick punch the axle every year and will continue to until or when the oem Chinese bearing wear out, then Ill put on the new FAG bearing/sleeve since it wont matter if the shaft is worn. Thousandths worth of wear wont throw my track alignment off so not worried about it at all.

Installed yesterday. Time will tell on this BUT I like it after install. The fit is very good when installing this sleeve over the shaft. The shaft is worn way beyond using a wedge. Loosing the seal on the inside of tunnel is irrelevant IMO after seeing this installed. My only concern or possible issue would be the set screws and or the sleeve being cocked on the shaft. Not saying this is a issue but just some brain storming after install. I have no experience in older sleds that used this idea/technique/set screws/sleeve.. But feel very good about this product after install. Will report back after some miles.. Nice work again by BOP Travis..

Figured i would share what i learned installen two precision shaft savers from alan ulmer, my riot 9000 had 164 miles on driveshaft and my riot 8000 465 miles on shaft, these call for 30 ftlbs turque, as i worked my way up to 30 ftlbs in 5 pound increments rotating track as i went ( as knapp ) susgests i noticed my brake caliper "float" on shaft disapeared, i would tap rotor back in on shaft to reset bearing in place, this went on till 48ftlbs of torque at witch time bearing would stay in place keeping my rotor "float", so i know with that now bearing is locked in place, final torque i settled on was 55 ftlbs, hope this can be helpfull.

So here is my situation.
My sled has the 20' driveshaft with the thicker wall shaft where I had to drive the wedge in and out of the shaft. While the wedge was installed for the last two years it was torqued at 65 ft lbs.
Had to make a puller to get bearing off the other day.
Fast fwd.
Going to install new BOP bearing.
Bearing has to be driven on shaft due to the shaft being stretched from wedge install.
Front cross shaft is in the tunnel.
How do I know when the bearing is on the shaft far enough or too far.
Bearing is a pressed fit and not a slip fit on shaft here.
I plan to run it on the stand prior to locking down set screws.
Just don't want a lot of side pressure on bearing.
Planning to stop pressing on when caliper is against tunnel.
Looks like time to do some measurements.
Distance of sleeve going inward on bearing and measuring from ring groove where bearing would stop against and put some electrical tape around driveshaft at that distance for a stop point.
Its always fun for me....

Back