• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt problem critique please

By removing 2 mm from the secondary coupling and bushing, I achieved a displacement of ~59 mm. Should I try trial trips in this case? Or do I need to avoid sliding as shown in the link?

Last edited:
Ok.
One other thing to keep an eye on is the stock secondary rollers. I would move them along as they don't last and they also start to groove into the helix.

By removing 2 mm from the secondary coupling and bushing, I achieved a displacement of ~59 mm. Should I try trial trips in this case? Or do I need to avoid sliding completely, as shown in the link?
Lots of guys move the whole clutch over without removing the float entirely as described so go ahead.

Thanks for the advice and help. I will make test trips. If it doesn't get better, I will avoid sliding completely.

@YukonMP How's the snow where you are?
Not meaning to do a total thread hijack but I don't mind bragging about where I live. The mountain passes to the Alaska coast are choked with snow. One highway was closed for two weeks. At home here we had a great snow pack and just adequate ice on the big lakes. Had is the operative word. We took a real hit with temps above freezing and lots of wind for two days. There is no snow on the lake at all. It has melted and frozen so we quickly added about four inches of ice but it looks like quads for ice fishing. Minus 30 to 40 forecast for a couple days, then in the teens.

Looks like this fellows issues are getting sorted out ... it is amazing how helpful and knowledgeable some of you guys are. Cheers.

Do I need to install a standard spring or stay on the purple EPI spring?

Do I need to install a standard spring or stay on the purple EPI spring?
Are you boosted? I'm assuming your running in deep powder all the time which is going to be hard on belts and most likely your going to have some heat there no matter what you do. I doubt the stock spring is going to give you enough squeeze on the belt to prevent it from slipping, but you would know pretty quick if it does because it will make allot more heat and it will leave black marks in the secondary.
If you're boosted then you most likely will need that EPI spring riding in powder. How much weight do you have in the primary?

I have a regular sled. No tune. Driving through deep snow through the hills. The weight - 8LR, but I haven't weighed it. I can disassemble the primary clutch and find out the weight. All I did was install a 21/49 transmission and an EPI PURPLE spring. I was told on "snowandmud" that this would help. While riding, I see of ~9200-9300 rpm.

So sled and clutching is all stock right now. That purple spring might be overkill for that set up. Were you showing any signs of the primary slipping before? Excessive heat or any marking?

After driving through deep snow the clutch gets hot and I can't hold my hand. I have to stop periodically and open the side cover to let the clutch cool down. There are no traces of rubber on the clutch. Traces remain after the belt breaks. On a standard spring, the belt whistled when I sharply pressed the brake and then the gas.

My friend rides a doo and has no problems with the belt. I like the Sidewinder but I'm tired of worrying about the belt breaking.

If you had screeching when you grabbed the throttle that means the belt was slipping. You could try wrapping the stock spring tighter or wrapping the EPI less. Or go to a spring that's in between the two

The last two belts broke on the outside. Could the wrong offset affect this?
Screenshot_20240202_214144.jpgScreenshot_20240202_214217.jpgScreenshot_20240202_214237.jpgScreenshot_20240202_214311.jpg

Bad batch of belts? I myself have not had good luck with yammy belts with my riding style or fsctory cat belts, switched to all ultimax on my cats and yammy no more problems like you show of course belt alignment is key.

Back