• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best fix for Primary Spring Binding and Secondary Rollers

it's mostly the oem spring that's causing the problem..watch your spring as the sled is reved up and down it deflects like crazy..I have never saw a spring chew a cover up in 500 miles and I've had 4 strokes with 15000 miles that looked better

it's mostly the oem spring that's causing the problem..watch your spring as the sled is reved up and down it deflects like crazy..I have never saw a spring chew a cover up in 500 miles and I've had 4 strokes with 15000 miles that looked better

I believe that saskattakman has pretty much nailed the cause of the OEM primary spring breaking on some sleds.

I think that with the introduction of the new SW motor package last season that Yamaha had limited testing time with the new clutch set up and simply did their best with coming up with a reasonable clutch set up with the new primary and secondary clutches using their past experience with the 4-stroke motors. Let's all be thankful that the motor package was trouble free and I'm sure that's where most of their testing time was spent.

As last season progressed and some problems were identified in the clutches we have the aftermarket to thank in getting some solutions to the known problems along with some pretty smart TY members trying different springs, helix's and rollers.

It seems like the OEM primary spring was too long in length which resulted in the spring distorting during its travel, and most guys that installed shorter springs never had any breakage issues. It looks like most clutch kits that include a new primary spring also use a shorter spring.

At least those guys with new '18 SW's will have a pretty good idea where to start this season if they want to improve their clutching right out of the gate.

It's also interesting to note that Yamaha has not changed any of the primary or secondary tuning components in the new '18 SW models compared to the '17's: same weights/rollers/spring in the primary along with the same spring/helix in the secondary. They must be satisfied with the stock clutching set up as delivered last year.

Last edited:
B8E43FA5-4DC8-4016-BE93-865A45B408E2.jpeg
792845CE-B639-4BFB-800B-FB0951B9B1DA.jpeg
53E8F82D-C886-4925-85FD-200E8A36C929.jpeg
Anybody figure anything out with this issue. I noticed on my mtx it’s wearing pretty bad.

No I haven’t. Actually if you look at the ends of the spring can tell it’s twisting and wearing into the aluminum. Does this affect the spring compression numbers due to it being longer with the shims? Also noticed the spring isn’t square....probably out 0.250” against a square. Also 113.5mm in free length which is longer than spec 110.1mm

Last edited:
I'd say at least one glide washer on the inner end will help. And many have benefitted from a shorter oem spring or dalton primary springs.

I'd say at least one glide washer on the inner end will help. And many have benefitted from a shorter oem spring or dalton primary springs.
Agree. And as for the Glide Washers changing spring rate, technically they do. And TPI includes additional shims if you want to use them to adjust the spring rate and increase engagement rpm - but I didn't see any noticeable increase in engagement rpm when adding 2 glide washers, one at each end of the spring - just my results but I find the TPI Glide Washers work very well.

So what’s the options for replacement stock

gold-red-gold. 55kg/105kg rate 1.5kg/mm 110.1 mm length

Blue-Brown-blue 50kg/116kg rate 2kg/mm 98.4mm

Dalton - Black -bronze. 56kg/128kg shorter

I ride yellow/white/yellow.
Dalton black/ bronze is probably very good to

I run a pink/ pink/ pink with two glide washers. Sled has 1400 miles on it and has the original belt. Sled is all stock and turns 8900 from bottom to top end.

Anybody sell the TPI glide washers in Canada?

Last edited:

Back