• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase removal and inspection

Just a FYI, Cat has a updated chain case gasket if you have a older sled. I found this out from my service guy who keeps me informed. The new gasket / O-ring is orange in color. Also if you have a 14 there is a updated jackshaft kit which will eliminate the nut & sleeve and make it like the 15's & newer with just clips. I have the updated kit in our 14 7000 as the jackshaft bearing was junk and I had a heck of a time trying to get that lock sleeve broke free. In the end I gave up on trying to get it broke free and used a sawzall and cut the jackshaft in two and installed the updated jackshaft kit.

Well I finally found some time to take apart. Just want you thoughts if this gear bushing is in need of replacement. There is a lot of yellow showing. I checked out the bearing also, it seems good, no free play.
Has there been any improvements in the oem part, or is there any aftermarket that is better.
Typically how many miles should this be looked at the next time?
Thanks

Viper Chain Case 026.JPGViper Chain Case 027.JPG

Well I finally found some time to take apart. Just want you thoughts if this gear bushing is in need of replacement. There is a lot of yellow showing. I checked out the bearing also, it seems good, no free play.
Has there been any improvements in the oem part, or is there any aftermarket that is better.
Thanks

View attachment 155226View attachment 155227
Bushing is shot. Can’t see enough of bearing.

I bought 3 of them from a local distributor and have installed one so far for a friend who will be trying it in a Sidewinder. They are a Bunting Bearing ToughMet 3 bushing #TMCB161808. Grainger & Zoro sell them. They will cost more than what a new gear/bushing does but I am being told that they will never wear out. They have 15% nickel in them.

They are not just a drop in replacement. The bore needs to be enlarged around 0.003" in order to get it to fit back on the shaft after it is pressed into the gear. I also don't know yet if the width needs to be trimmed. The stock bushing is 7/8" wide. These are 1" and will stick out one side a bit when pressed in flush on the other. I may contact the manufacturer and see if they are able to make them them the right size specs to be a direct replacement.

Those are some impressive bearing loads! Have you gotten a chance to check your bearing and shaft for wear yet?

Thanks

Thanks

Yea that bearing is toast.

Grab the jackshaft and pull up and down on it to check it. Bearing balls are grey, don’t look good.

edit
Heck you don’t even need to do that, I can see those balls are loose from the picture. Your upper jackshaft bearing is gone.

I did not remove the collar yet on the jackshaft, there did not seem to be any movement when I wiggled it yesterday. But, I will double check tonight, will see if I can get any movement on the balls in the bearing.

Has the oem bearing 8JP-RAG04-00-00 2206k been updated to a better one on the newer models?

This machine has a extended warranty till 12/1/20, has anyone had any luck getting the parts and/or labor paid for, with this type of wear?
Thanks

Use some force and pull up and down, I’m sure it will clunk.

F866F495-BD0A-422E-AA44-17647CE3F513.jpeg

That ball is almost falling out of the race.

I did not remove the collar yet on the jackshaft, there did not seem to be any movement when I wiggled it yesterday. But, I will double check tonight, will see if I can get any movement on the balls in the bearing.

Has the oem bearing 8JP-RAG04-00-00 2206k been updated to a better one on the newer models?

This machine has a extended warranty till 12/1/20, has anyone had any luck getting the parts and/or labor paid for, with this type of wear?
Thanks

What year of sled/How many miles do you have on the sled?

If you look under his screen name under snowmobiles it says 2014 viper xtx. Its the old style Jackshaft with that stupid taper collar.

Yes it's a 2014 with 3600 miles. How hard is it to remove the taper collar, is it pressed in the bearing?

400ex your bearing does look like it got hot I think. Hard to tell with pic. Here is pic of my original with 8500mi on it. Notice the cage is tight to all the balls both sides. Yours is not. Mine Was fine yet. Upgraded to 16 style. Now at 18000 will be upgrading to the newest style which eliminates wobble bearing.
F854608D-D2BF-4C1D-92E8-906B86BC2D3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Back