• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Offset

canuck5

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro MTX
Measured my secondary clutch offset is 61or a hair higher spec is 58.1 to 61.1. What are normal numbers guys are seeing that have coolest belt temps? Also can you run with no shim at all behind secondary? I’ve heard Guys are having secondaries machines down 2mm to get back within spec all I really want to do is remove the only shim that’s there up against snap ring of bearing.

Attachments

• CB325356-796D-4ABA-9C0B-4A9761B328B3.jpeg
    CB325356-796D-4ABA-9C0B-4A9761B328B3.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 188

I'm not sure what it is.... I have the Hurricane bar and know that I need to have about 1mm machined off the back of my secondary in order to get it perfect with the Hurricane bar. I ran out of time this fall....so will have that done before next winter.

I’m just going by the law of averages if I remove that shim I get to 60mm 59.6 is exactly half way between the specs.

The machine is not built correctly at the artic cat factory if it cannot achieve the full range of offset in Yamaha's spec of 58.1 to 61.1.
Take it back to dealer for warranty and tell them you want to set your offset at 58.1 and it won't meet that spec with no shims on shaft.
See what Yamaha says about this.

Maybe someone at the factory is putting a bolt in the stub shaft and hitting it with a hammer driving in inward.............

Or maybe Yamahas jackshaft are too long ? Lol

Guys that are getting the hub machined get the full 3 mils machined off and add the shims in. You'll thank me when you're primary moves in after a couple blown belts.

So, what is the Hurricane alignment tool aligning the clutches at? Is 58 mm the mark or 59? Im at 60 and secondary running hot. BTW, rode in Canada last week for last ride and checked clutches and found secondary cracked along with rollers. Thinking heat is my issue. Thats why I would like to know the best offset measurement.

Last edited:
Best way to do it is just buy the hurricane bar, it'll pay for itself on belt savings alone and allow you to check it during pre season maintainance and make sure everything checks out. Most sleds seem to be off about 2mm as was the case with mine. I had 3 mm machined off and reinstalled the factory 1mm shim to allow for future adjustments if needed. Cost $20 at my local shop to machine clutch and float plug. Too many variances in components to align it any other way IMO

Best way to do it is just buy the hurricane bar, it'll pay for itself on belt savings alone and allow you to check it during pre season maintainance and make sure everything checks out. Most sleds seem to be off about 2mm as was the case with mine. I had 3 mm machined off and reinstalled the factory 1mm shim to allow for future adjustments if needed. Cost $20 at my local shop to machine clutch and float plug. Too many variances in components to align it any other way IMO
Same exact senario for me. 2mm seems to be the number from what I've seen.

Back