• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting rid of the roll over valve

Guess there is a recall for the oil tank. Pretty sure it's because of this problem. Parts not available till Feb. 28th.

Heard this from a little birdy

Guess there is a recall for the oil tank. Pretty sure it's because of this problem. Parts not available till Feb. 28th.

That's great news

Thanks nos-pro.....you're the best.

And.....I take back most of that stuff I said about you.

Hope its a real gasket that seals the tank. Maybe they will give us a real roll over valve like Rotax uses too.

Why catch the moisture and vapor and add the weight and complexity? I don't have a use for the water vapor or oil mist out of it.

It's no fun riding with oil on the running boards after the dealership over services your engine oil.
Instead you can run the overflow oil into the catch can and empty it later.
Have I done it on my sled? No.
But this setup is what we use on dry sump engine road coarse cars.

I have an oil catch can setup on my turbo diesels, Suburban 6.0 gas and F 5550 v-10 gas vehicles. They work great for keeping the emissions in tact while separating the oil vapor out of the intake. I hate having the eventual "oily mess" all through the turbo's, intercoolers and intakes. A catch can might be a nice addition to the winder too, although I like what Mike has done...

Anyway I'll wait to see what the said recall is all about before I do anything.

It's no fun riding with oil on the running boards after the dealership over services your engine oil.
Instead you can run the overflow oil into the catch can and empty it later.
Have I done it on my sled? No.
But this setup is what we use on dry sump engine road coarse cars.

I agree, It's no fun when the oil seal on the tank leaks and blows oil all over your boots and suit and empties the oil tank either, but this hose SHOULD NOT be puking oil anywhere but below the running board. I ran the EXACT same setup on my turbo 1200 Doos for thousands of miles and have never had a a problem with oil on the boards.

In reality there should be no oil coming from it at all, only water vapor and condensation from ring blow-by. Now we all know there is going to be some oil mist along with it but that is why I let the hose hang below the board by an inch or two. No harm, no foul. I don't want to catch it in a catch can at all, its a snowmobile not a road course car.

Two-stroke engines have spit oil residue out by the gallons from the pipes for years!

I have not run it yet on the YamaCat in the field to verify, but it should not act any different that my Ski-Doo turbos did as its setup in exactly the same configuration other than I ran no heat tape on the hose on my Doo. There is for sure more heat here on the Cat with the exhaust pipe coming around here from the rear, so my only concern is that the heat does not "melt" or deform the tubing I used, hence the heat tape for protection. I have no concerns for that bit of oil mist at all.

Anyway I'll wait to see what the said recall is all about before I do anything.

That's great, but our season will be over before we see that recall or update on the date disclosed. In the meantime, I don't want my oil tank seal compromised again and will take this route for the season.

This is easy to go away from and go back to stock if one wishes to do so. Just wanted others to see what I have done to eliminate the tank pressure problem.

Nice fix Mr. Knapp! Hope I don't wake up to a slosh of frozen goo & empty oil tank.

I'd say if in fact a recall is coming. That's pretty fast action by yamaha. Considering I'm just finding out about this whole frozen valve thing last week.

2400 miles on my Sidewinder so far and no issues with the oil tank and roll over valve. The front of the engine on my Nytro always had oil on it from what dripped out of the air box from the oil tank breather hose. My Sidewinder has no oil residue anywhere under the hood and I like it that way.

Good thinking Mike.

Kinda like a stand pipe.... The big loop and down to the floor board being the key..... As long as it never plugs up... The reservoir would be leak free and not drain out ... Simple yet ingenious

Mike,

The valve holds pressure back, so very little oil vapor blows into the intake tract.

With your setup, that tube is wide open.....nothing holding the vapor/pressure back at all.

So why wont this just blow alot more oil out?

If the stock setup has a spring/valve holding back all the pressure and oil vapor, and it still sends oil into intake tract, I just feel like with NO valve or pressure, alot more oil is going out that tube.

I guess you can run it and let us know if you see your oil level dropping alot faster then stock setup.

I sure hope they come up with a proper gasket fix....man this stuff really bugs me.

Dan

Back